Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Hokmuto »

Gothicserpent wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:I really think Endgame doing so much hurt everything up till Spiderman. Godzilla vs Kong should do better by default.
Eh, not entirely. I just think Godzilla really isn't popular among the GA sadly.
Yeah, GA doesn’t care about Godzilla at all. It’s not like G14 made 93 million opening weekend.
Long Live The King

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

Gothicserpent wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:I really think Endgame doing so much hurt everything up till Spiderman. Godzilla vs Kong should do better by default.
Eh, not entirely. I just think Godzilla really isn't popular among the GA sadly.
As a natural science disaster film the GA is interested, not in the traditional Toho sense.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

MorgolKing wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:
As a natural science disaster film the GA is interested, not in the traditional Toho sense.
Exactly.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

Gothicserpent wrote:
MorgolKing wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote: Eh, not entirely. I just think Godzilla really isn't popular among the GA sadly.
Exactly.
Yep. 2014 marketed itself as a disaster film. A brand new American Godzilla drove hype as well. And now 5 years later comes a sequel. It’s such a long time in between movies in today’s time. It honestly wouldn’t shock me if the GA even knows this is a sequel to 2014? A perfect storm of bad events imo.

Hopefully the “gimmick” of a vs film will draw far more curious movie goers.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Troyal1 wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:
MorgolKing wrote:
Exactly.
Yep. 2014 marketed itself as a disaster film. A brand new American Godzilla drove hype as well. And now 5 years later comes a sequel. It’s such a long time in between movies in today’s time. It honestly wouldn’t shock me if the GA even knows this is a sequel to 2014? A perfect storm of bad events imo.

Hopefully the “gimmick” of a vs film will draw far more curious movie goers.
Exactly; I’m very sure the general audience didn’t know it was connected. Next time, they should put a “3” in the title just so that it’s more obvious. They should also make an official Monsterverse logo that is stamped on the posters so that people know it’s all connected.
Long Live The King

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

i'm gonna hold off on predictions till later. there's to many things that could happen between now and March.
Last edited by Gigantis on Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

tyrantgoji wrote:i'm gonna hold off on predictions till later. there's to many things that could happen between now and March.
Same. Going to wait and see what other movies are going I be released at the time.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

They better not give us everything in the trailers this time. I think some people actually said if you watch the trailers you've already watched half the movie, so there'd be more incentive to watch the full thing if the trailers showed less.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

GuardianGhido wrote:They better not give us everything in the trailers this time. I think some people actually said if you watch the trailers you've already watched half the movie, so there'd be more incentive to watch the full thing if the trailers showed less.
I really hope that'll be the case, but considering that 3 movies in the Monsterverse already did it i'm not holding out hope lol. At best i'll probably just watch the first and 2nd trailers.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I really dunno how they're gonna sell this one to the GA.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Gothicserpent wrote:I really dunno how they're gonna sell this one to the GA.
The title pretty much sells itself. Everyone knows who Godzilla and Kong are, and as far as like 95% of the audience is aware this is the first time EVER that these two have ever been in a movie together. I assume the advertising is going to be pitching it like a boxing title match, mixed with whatever sort of Action-Adventure movie they've built around that. It's got a novelty factor that KOTM didn't have.
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:I really dunno how they're gonna sell this one to the GA.
The title pretty much sells itself. Everyone knows who Godzilla and Kong are, and as far as like 95% of the audience is aware this is the first time EVER that these two have ever been in a movie together. I assume the advertising is going to be pitching it like a boxing title match, mixed with whatever sort of Action-Adventure movie they've built around that. It's got a novelty factor that KOTM didn't have.
And even if they do know about the original movie, some people don't wanna watch old movies, while others have seen it and wanna see it done again with today's technology.

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

https://cosmicbook.news/godzilla-vs-king-kong-huge?amp

"A report from Yahoo offers that while Legendary is a bit disappointed by the U.S. opening for King of the Monsters, they are moving full steam ahead on Godzilla vs. King Kong, which is already in production and gets released next year."

That's the most reassuring thing i've heard so far!
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

fred25_ca wrote:https://cosmicbook.news/godzilla-vs-king-kong-huge?amp

"A report from Yahoo offers that while Legendary is a bit disappointed by the U.S. opening for King of the Monsters, they are moving full steam ahead on Godzilla vs. King Kong, which is already in production and gets released next year."

Well ya we all knew that
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Living Corpse wrote:some people don't wanna watch old movies
Yeah. Mostly Millennials and Generation Z's who can't spend 5 minutes not staring at their smart phones.

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

Godzilla21 wrote:

Well ya we all knew that
Oh I didn't know we had heard anything from WB since King of the monsters?
Obviously we all knew they had shot Kong vs Godzilla and were moving ahead but i'm surprised you guys had read this new article from today already?

Most of us were afraid they'd do big changes to the movie, maybe even downgrade it because of King of the monsters' disappointment. It's nice to hear it's not the case.
Last edited by fred25_ca on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

fred25_ca wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:

Well ya we all knew that
Oh I didn't know we had heard anything from WB since King of the monsters?
Obviously we all knew they had shot Kong vs Godzilla and were moving ahead but i'm surprised you guys had read this new article from today already?

Most of us were afraid they'd do big changes to the movie, maybe even downgrade it because of King of the monsters' disappointment. It's nice to hear it's not the case.
It's actually not a new article, but a reprint of an article from Monday or Tuesday. I remember we discussed it over in the KOTM Box Office thread when it was first published. :)

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

Ahh ok then. I guess i'm just overly happy WB is still taking this franchise very seriously. :P

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:some people don't wanna watch old movies
Yeah. Mostly Millennials and Generation Z's who can't spend 5 minutes not staring at their smart phones.
Personally, I find the ones most resistant are actually Generation X'ers. Millennials and Generation Z love mining old movies for Meme material, people under 40 often seem more knowledgeable about movies than people between 40 and 60.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Pkmatrix wrote:people under 40 often seem more knowledgeable about movies than people between 40 and 60.
No way.