Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
obZen
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by obZen »

$400M by the end of the week.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

obZen wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:43 am $400M by the end of the week.
PLEASE GOD YES. Having GvK, the vastly superior film in nearly every way, succeed and embarrass KOTM by generating a bigger box office in the middle of a pandemic and dual theater/streaming release would be the absolute best possible catharsis and would just give me another way to shit on KOTM :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:35 am
Handsome Shrek wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:59 am I want more movies, so long as they aren’t stupidly ridiculous and overdone
—like KOTM :lol:

Speaking of KOTM, I’m so, so incredibly glad that shitstain upon the Godzilla franchise was thoroughly cleaned and replaced by beautiful, amazing, successful, mainstream wall art that’ll be far more beloved and remembered for a multitude of different reasons

...have i mentioned that i don’t really like KOTM?
I thought I was harsh towards although I still think KOTM isn't really a bad movie just a movie that missed it's true potential that caused it to be disappointing. It could've been so much better.
Last edited by DynomikeGojira on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

I’m glad this movie didn’t get delayed again like some people were asking for. Seems like the timing worked out real good.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Well now that's great it may make up to $450 million now maybe even $500 million. Glad this movie is single handedly saving the theatrical industry just a shame that the other studios aren't coming out in support and congratulating it well besides Universal posting the original KKvG final battle on YouTube.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Where did you see that at?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The KOTM smears aren't really necessary considering there are a ton of people who actively enjoy it.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:09 am The KOTM smears aren't really necessary considering there are a ton of people who actively enjoy it.
Agreed. I get everyone’s entitled to their opinion but at some point it becomes obnoxious and rude.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Speaking of KOTM, I’m so, so incredibly glad that shitstain upon the Godzilla franchise was thoroughly cleaned and replaced by beautiful, amazing, successful, mainstream wall art that’ll be far more beloved and remembered for a multitude of different reasons
Calling KOTM the shitstain of the Godzilla franchise dismisses a good 12 or so films that may run up that title. KOTM was beautiful, surreal, amazing, and had 30 different Disney films released the same month. Which threw a damper on its success.

It was the last Hollywood Godzilla film to actively focus on a human narrative, with real stakes.

Also, being mainstream, doesn't make something art, it does the opposite, it becomes watered down, saturated, puddle deep and strictly bends to the will of the general audience. To that I say no thank you, I prefer my films with a lack of hivemind influence.

However I will say yes, Godzilla vs Kong was a great film. Just don't dismiss what came before.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:09 am The KOTM smears aren't really necessary considering there are a ton of people who actively enjoy it.
Not only that, but living off constant “ha, movie bad” just kinda seems unhealthy. I’m not huge on G98, but it’s already come and gone. I don’t need GvK or KOTM to surpass it to feel validated, nor do I need to point that fact out to people who do like the movie. Just let people like what they like. If you don’t like it, that’s fine. Just doesn’t need to be brought up 24/7.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

gridiron_kaiju wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:13 am Agreed. I get everyone’s entitled to their opinion but at some point it becomes obnoxious and rude.
Dynomy-DX wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:16 am Not only that, but living off constant “ha, movie bad” just kinda seems unhealthy. I’m not huge on G98, but it’s already come and gone. I don’t need GvK or KOTM to surpass it to feel validated, nor do I need to point that fact out to people who do like the movie. Just let people like what they like. If you don’t like it, that’s fine. Just doesn’t need to be brought up 24/7.
100% absolutely, it's like, this is supposedly their favorite franchise, but some people on here seem to actively get a kick out of putting Godzilla films through the verbal ringer for little to no reason.

Just like what you want to like. Let others like what they like. GvK did not come out so that it could step on the head of its predecessor, it came out to build atop the foundation G14 and KOTM laid out for it.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:14 am
Calling KOTM the shitstain of the Godzilla franchise dismisses a good 12 or so films that may run up that title. KOTM was beautiful, surreal, amazing, and had 30 different Disney films released the same month. Which threw a damper on its success.

It was the last Hollywood Godzilla film to actively focus on a human narrative, with real stakes.

Also, being mainstream, doesn't make something art, it does the opposite, it becomes watered down, saturated, puddle deep and strictly bends to the will of the general audience. To that I say no thank you, I prefer my films with a lack of hivemind influence.

However I will say yes, Godzilla vs Kong was a great film. Just don't dismiss what came before.
I’m joking lol. KOTM isn’t that bad, but i wouldn’t put it in my top 10 favorite G-films per se
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:22 amI’m joking lol. KOTM isn’t that bad, but i wouldn’t put it in my top 10 favorite G-films per se
But some of us would and do. It gets extremely tiring seeing people shit on it again and again, even if it's just a joke.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Yeah lets just celebrate the sucess of the Monsterverse right we have a bright future

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

We shouldn’t be pitting movies of the same franchise against each other. GvK is a hit. That alone should be cause to celebrate.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

gridiron_kaiju wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:57 am
Where did you see that at?
In my mind’s eye.
Last edited by obZen on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

To think too the film still has 2 and a half weeks left without any competition until Mortal Kombat arrives!

How do you guys think that film will affect it at that point?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:44 am To think too the film still has 2 and a half weeks left without any competition until Mortal Kombat arrives!
And even then, I’m not sure if I’d say they’re direct competition. Not only are they both from WB, but Mortal Kombat has a more rated R audience. So it shouldn’t shave too much off of GvK... at least, I think. I’ve been surprised before lol

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:44 am To think too the film still has 2 and a half weeks left without any competition until Mortal Kombat arrives!

How do you guys think that film will affect it at that point?
It's hard to say. Mortal Kombat is rated R and I'm not sure what sort of international release it's getting.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

Even then, GvK is yet to be released at cinemas in at least several other major markets.