Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Stump Feet »

A lot was wrong with the fights and this doesn’t just come from me, but plenty of “GA” movie reviewers on YouTube as well.

Basically what you’ll hear from everyone else is they were no where near as “epic” as the ones in G14 and Kong Skull Island, and I whole heartily agree.

Almost all the fights (save for a couple scenes) lacked any emotional or dramatic weight to them and in such, came off too fast paced to care.

The monsters no longer moved like they did in G14 where they had gravity to them, instead they moved around like a kaiju or Jaeger from PRU.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

miguelnuva wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
What was wrong with the fights?
Fascinating how the same people that get tired of the complaints being voiced are the same people who perpetually claim they are unaware of the complaints.
I don't care about complaints or what someone else feels about the movie, I'm asking someone I've never talk to why they didn't like the fights. Maybe their reasoning is different from someone else's reason.
Guarantee you as soon as they reply, the usual 5 or 6 users will jump down their throat and complain about people saying the same things over and over.

I made a complaint thread so people can quit whining about criticisms being made in other threads.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Stump Feet wrote:A lot was wrong with the fights and this doesn’t just come from me, but plenty of “GA” movie reviewers on YouTube as well.

Basically what you’ll hear from everyone else is they were no where near as “epic” as the ones in G14 and Kong Skull Island, and I whole heartily agree.

Almost all the fights (save for a couple scenes) lacked any emeotional or dramatic weight to them and in such, came off too fast paced to care.

The monsters no longer moved like they did in G14 when they had gravity to them, instead they moved around like a kaiju or Jaeger from PRU.
Understandable, I disagree but to each their own.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

If you disagree maybe you’d like to tell me why

I’ll use the sky drop scene as an example, and we’ll compare it to the same exact scene in Pacific Rim.

In Godzilla, Ghidorah just picks him up, chokes him out, and brings him above the clouds, mind you this all happens in a matter of seconds, and then drops him just like that, then we get Godzilla falling for a split second before he hits the ground.

Now compare that to Pacific Rims same exact scene, see the difference here? Pacific Rim built heavily on that one scene and gave it so much emotional weight between Gypsy being brought into the sky and when she was dropped.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Stump Feet wrote:If you disagree maybe you’d like to tell me how I’m wrong.

I’ll use the sky drop scene as an example, and we’ll compare it to the same exact scene in Pacific Rim.

In Godzilla, Ghidorah just picks him up, chokes him out, and brings him above the clouds, mind you this all happens in a matter of seconds, and then drops him just like that, then we get Godzilla falling for a split second before he hits the ground.

Now compare that to Pacific Rims same exact scene, see the difference here? Pacific Rim built heavily on that one scene and gave it so much emotional weight between Gypsy being brought into the sky and when she was dropped.

I didn't say you were wrong and I'm positive not everyone that saw Kotm thinks the fights didn't have weight to them. The drop happens faster in kotm though because the two scenes are going for different outcomes.

Like I said your perfectly ok with feeling the way you do.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

I just want to throw out as a precursor here; even if Mulan's trailer is received negatively tomorrow, it means absolutely nothing in terms of being good news for Godzilla vs Kong's box office, as seen with Aladdin (which by the way will gross more than $900 million worldwide...)

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Moogabunga wrote:I just want to throw out as a precursor here; even if Mulan's trailer is received negatively tomorrow, it means absolutely nothing in terms of being good news for Godzilla vs Kong's box office, as seen with Aladdin (which by the way will gross more than $900 million worldwide...)
wow, i thought i was overestimating when i said it was gonna make the billion club. Now it really DOES seem like it's gonna happen!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Stump Feet wrote:If you disagree maybe you’d like to tell me how I’m wrong.

Definitely one of the most disappointing parts of the movie since I was very excited for it ever since I heard it from the leaks.
Long Live The King

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

welp, KOTM box office thread is locked. hope this one doesn't end up in the same fate.

anyway, i'm still not estimating till December at least and Febuary at most. too many things could happen.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I really have no idea how this will be marketed in a way that the GA will want to see it.

Its a VS movie, but its clear that the GA only wants one monster rampaging the whole time.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

Gothicserpent wrote:How well did G14 and Skull Island do on video?
2014 did another $40 million overall in BR/DVD sales

K:SI did another $43 million

Now obviously there's some production cost with home video, but it's nowhere near what the actual movie costs.

So a nice bump for both films there.
Last edited by Pacfanweb on Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Gothicserpent wrote:I really have no idea how this will be marketed in a way that the GA will want to see it.

Its a VS movie, but its clear that the GA only wants one monster rampaging the whole time.
How is it made clear that’s the case?
Long Live The King

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I like the idea of this being marketed as a pay per view event or something
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Hokmuto wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:I really have no idea how this will be marketed in a way that the GA will want to see it.

How is it made clear that’s the case?
Yeah if it was a solo film I think the GA would be complaining why there wasn't another monster to fight.

SteveMartinLives
Yojimbo

Post by SteveMartinLives »

The BO and poor reception of Justice League didn't kill or seem to effect Aquaman. If the visuals are there, it will get butts in seats. I honestly think that's what kept KOTM from being more of a MIBI or Dark Phoenix level flop. The visuals in the trailers were on on par with G14's.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

SteveMartinLives wrote:The BO and poor reception of Justice League didn't kill or seem to effect Aquaman. If the visuals are there, it will get butts in seats. I honestly think that's what kept KOTM from being more of a MIBI or Dark Phoenix level flop. The visuals in the trailers were on on par with G14's.
Bu-b-but Steve...Superheroes. Probably a back-up plan like how Marvel Studios did... :cry:

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Stop comparing the MV to the DCCU and MCU. The MV is on a much shorter leash. You have to understand that. The DCCU and MCU make a crap ton money beyond movies.... the MV doesn’t really have that luxury.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

The lack of crushing pessimism is baffling. I say 350-400 and the end of the Monsterverse :c
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

SteveMartinLives
Yojimbo

Post by SteveMartinLives »

GuardianGhido wrote:The lack of crushing pessimism is baffling. I say 350-400 and the end of the Monsterverse :c
Have fun feeling crushed til March then, I guess..
;)
Last edited by SteveMartinLives on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

GuardianGhido wrote:The lack of crushing pessimism is baffling. I say 350-400 and the end of the Monsterverse :c
It’s been a few months already; it’s time to get over it. It’s very disappointing, sure, but at this point one shouldn’t even think about it anymore
Long Live The King