Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Cookson
Futurian

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Cookson »

Anyone calling GvK not a success are out of tune with reality. GvK is the first BIG success in the pandemic world setting the pandemic box office record and HBOMAX record at that time.

Instead of crying foul on the movie when another movie succeeds we should be rooting on these films success in the world we’re in right now. Grow up.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:12 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:28 pm
Desghidorah wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:59 pm Can we just lament Spring of 2021 was the year and time the top forces in the box office were a film focused on kaiju, another involving ninjas, and another involving yokai which was anime on top of it all. Spring of 2021, that time the box office went Japanese.
First Japan surpassed and left shitty American entertainment in the dust as anime and manga dominates, and now Japanese made/based/inspired films have saved theaters! It’s a takeover, i tell ye! :lol:
Mortal Kombat is the least Japanese thing right now.
Fair enough, but my point still stands!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Cookson wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:30 pm Anyone calling GvK not a success are out of tune with reality. GvK is the first BIG success in the pandemic world setting the pandemic box office record and HBOMAX record at that time.

Instead of crying foul on the movie when another movie succeeds we should be rooting on these films success in the world we’re in right now. Grow up.
Someone is going to come in here talk about how bad the box office multiplier is watch.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Moogabunga wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:20 pm
gridiron_kaiju wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:17 pm

CALLED IT!!! I knew once this movie came out and everyone enjoys it
Need to get out of that echo chamber, man
Oh get a life. You tried to start something and it backfired horribly on you
Last edited by gridiron_kaiju on Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

*Deleted, don't wanna drag this out unnecessarily
Last edited by Moogabunga on Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Odd perspective
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

You can see how such jabs could come off as disrespectful though, right? I'm fairly certain you're just stirring the pot, but regardless, the streaming component is an interesting aspect and I'm glad you brought it up.

"Success" is multi-faceted and its important to view the franchise's reception from every angle if we're to accurately measure a film's footprint in these strange times. It would seem to me, at least, that the streaming aspect was higher for MK because less people thought it was a worthy enough theatrical exhibition and more of a "I'll get to it when I get to it" kind of movie. That isn't inherently bad per se, but does show, I think, a certain lack of interest->dollars conversion. MK's social media footprint registered quite large, but it still doesn't seem to be to the benefit of it's overall performance. I'm sure HBO is happy for the boost to Max though, and the budget wasn't nearly as high as other blockbusters, so it's still going to make a tidy profit/footprint. One could be fairly hopeful about another modestly-budgeted sequel down the road, I believe (or perhaps an HBO Max exclusive streaming series). Given how extreme the movie leans, that's impressive in and of itself, just as GvK got a significant audience awareness boost for the franchise. Both were successful from a business perspective, though each to degrees. I like both properties, so its all good.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:34 pm
Cookson wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:30 pm Anyone calling GvK not a success are out of tune with reality. GvK is the first BIG success in the pandemic world setting the pandemic box office record and HBOMAX record at that time.

Someone is going to come in here talk about how bad the box office multiplier is watch.
Considering by my math the multiplier so far is 2.53x, they'd be talking out of their ass.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Pkmatrix wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:02 am

Considering by my math the multiplier so far is 2.53x, they'd be talking out of their ass.
Let's see
The current estimate 160 M budget

At 2.53, break even would be 404.8M. Current box office is 406.7M

So it's broke even there alone

That said

If Warner bros put up 100M for the streaming deal, that's a break even of 151.8M with over 200M profit.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

So much this! I'm really beginning to be REALLY fed up with the notion of how dumping on anything people like regardless if it's popular or not in such an d-bag manner is considered cool and smart because it's not. It does a lot more harm then good because it not only annoys the living heck out of people who just want to enjoy it in peace but it gives the very art of criticism a bad name. It's especially bad when some people try to use a movie's/shared universe's flaws as a way to justify the d-baggery and try to make the fans feel guilty and rotten for having a liking to it in the first place regardless of what strong points it also has. I know a lot of people online that do this and it's beyond insufferable.

Like you said we should be mores supportive to certain fandoms that are truly having it great in recent times. The DCEU, Monsterverse, and Mortal Kombat groups especially with having each movie be a big hit for all of them. That's quite an impressive time to live in.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

yogi bareass
Samurai

Post by yogi bareass »

Exactly!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

yogi bareass wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:23 am

Exactly!
This. And this is also without counting the money they got out of the HBO Max deal.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

If the box office was good enough for Legendary to be talking about a Son of Kong, then we know for quite a certainty that the box office performance of this film was great
Long Live The King

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

What is this multiplier number from? The pandemic has changed everything, with almost no long advertising runway or media like before. Huge difference this time.
This movie has made a lot of money and more are coming. No mention either of the HBO Max deal.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

plasmabeam wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:39 pm

What is this multiplier number from? The pandemic has changed everything, with almost no long advertising runway or media like before. Huge difference this time.
This movie has made a lot of money and more are coming. No mention either of the HBO Max deal.
Just the Worldwide box office divided by the production budget. 🙂

And you're absolutely right! We're only bringing it up to point out how anybody attempting to claim the movie somehow "failed" by making that argument would be talking nonsense because even by that measure the movie was a success.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The pandemic messed up the opportunity for the Monsterverse to hit 2 billion with 4 films. Looks like it’ll fall a bit short.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Cookson wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:17 am The pandemic messed up the opportunity for the Monsterverse to hit 2 billion with 4 films. Looks like it’ll fall a bit short.
I think the pandemic helped the Monsterverse, more than anything. I wonder if it would be as successful if people weren’t starved for new blockbusters?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

We get the base case scenario either way, this is a victory ladies and gentlemen.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla vs. Kong's Japanese release date is going to be delayed. It was going to be released in a few weeks, but due to corona spiking in Japan (wouldn't it have been nice if we had vaccines...). They've declared states of emergency throughout Japan in big areas (Osaka, Tokyo etc...). Now it'll get pushed back. I hope it sort of has the effect of "hey people want to see a movie" after being stuck in doors for weeks of not doing much.

It's important because I could see it adding another 10 million to GvK's worldwide revenue and I feel like this is the Godzilla film to do well in Japan.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:20 pm Godzilla vs. Kong's Japanese release date is going to be delayed. It was going to be released in a few weeks, but due to corona spiking in Japan (wouldn't it have been nice if we had vaccines...). They've declared states of emergency throughout Japan in big areas (Osaka, Tokyo etc...). Now it'll get pushed back. I hope it sort of has the effect of "hey people want to see a movie" after being stuck in doors for weeks of not doing much.

It's important because I could see it adding another 10 million to GvK's worldwide revenue and I feel like this is the Godzilla film to do well in Japan.
I think you're right. People are going to badly want to see something escapist and GvK will be that movie.

It's funny though. Japan: "State of Emergency!" Also Japan: "Let the Olympics begin!"