Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

dillonking55 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:12 am It's gonna struggle to make 50M domestic. I doubt they move forward with a sequel now.

That's what happens when you get a first time screen-writer and a first time director. The films worldwide total is only at 70$ million on a budget of 55$ million.

Lets be honest if you remove Sub-Zero, Scorpion (who is barely in it) and Kano the film is not worth watching.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

XxComablack1937xX wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:59 am
dillonking55 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:12 am It's gonna struggle to make 50M domestic. I doubt they move forward with a sequel now.

That's what happens when you get a first time screen-writer and a first time director. The films worldwide total is only at 70$ million on a budget of 55$ million.

Lets be honest if you remove Sub-Zero, Scorpion (who is barely in it) and Kano the film is not worth watching.
It's the best performer they had on HBO Max,.they're thinking Mk 2 and 3 as well as a Sub Zero spin off right now.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

We still haven’t released in France, Germany or Japan yet and those are just the big markets, there’s a ton of small markets we haven’t gotten into yet.

430+ is guaranteed at this point
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:38 am We still haven’t released in France, Germany or Japan yet and those are just the big markets, there’s a ton of small markets we haven’t gotten into yet.

430+ is guaranteed at this point
Not really sure why KOTM is on there lmao
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

dillonking55 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:12 amSays alot about both tbh. GvK has good legs & a healthy box office, while MK has legs made of jelly lol.

For WB's sake, they better hope the numbers for MK are still good on HBO Max because it's theater run numbers are horrendous.

It's gonna struggle to make 50M domestic. I doubt they move forward with a sequel now.
You forget how much more important streaming is now. Sequels are basically guaranteed from this performance.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

When are those weekend numbers supposed to come in?
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

So GvK is 5m away from 100m. No way WB doesn’t fudge that to 100m. Most likely will put it as a double feature and do whatever to get it there.

With still Japan to open to, 450 worldwide could happen.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Godzilla vs. Kong also managed to top Mortal Kombat this week, which is great for GvK & terrible for MK lol

(GvK's 7th WK vs. MK's 4th WK in theaters)

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

I’m betting on breaking 100 million, if it keeps having these low drops it’ll be done pretty easily

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Yeah this exceeded my expectations I thought we would be lucky to see this reach $400 million at most but Im pleasantly surprised I think 450 to 500 million is certainly looking likely now

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

1.44m weekend. Just a 6% drop. Just below 97m. They will definitely get the film to 100m
Last edited by Cookson on Sun May 23, 2021 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Cookson wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:10 am 1.44m weekend. Just a 6% drop. Just below 97m. They will definitely get the film to 100m
Yep! It actually went up from last week. Being off HBO Max has benefited it's run in theaters. I went to see it again on Friday (my 5th viewing in theaters) & the theater was decently packed.

Should cross $100M in a few weeks
Last edited by dillonking55 on Sun May 23, 2021 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I think in normal times this would have been a 700-800m film worldwide. Nothing else is coming close to what it’s doing. The new Fast and Furious movie though might take the reign

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hm well the digital release came out like two days ago. I bought but hey I saw the movie five times in theaters so I did my part.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

It’s overtaken both demon slayer and Mortal Kombat, two months after release

That’s impressive

Added in 12 minutes 6 seconds:
Also, if the theatre in my area is still showing it when I’m fully vaccinated I’ll definitely go watch it again in the theatre, I called and they said they’ll have it a few more weeks, so I should be able to.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I'm hearing the movie is at $432 Million worldwide after this weekend?

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Pkmatrix wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:13 am I'm hearing the movie is at $432 Million worldwide after this weekend?
Yep! With Japan and a good potion of Europe still to go we should totally hit 450

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:13 am It’s overtaken both demon slayer and Mortal Kombat, two months after release

That’s impressive

Added in 12 minutes 6 seconds:
Also, if the theatre in my area is still showing it when I’m fully vaccinated I’ll definitely go watch it again in the theatre, I called and they said they’ll have it a few more weeks, so I should be able to.
Yeah I might check a prime time showing to get a good reaction from the crowd if things open up more.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

‘Godzilla Vs. Kong’ Rules VOD

lnk - https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 46fa8b23a8

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:13 am Also, if the theatre in my area is still showing it when I’m fully vaccinated I’ll definitely go watch it again in the theatre, I called and they said they’ll have it a few more weeks, so I should be able to.
Likely not going to happen. My theater is phasing out GVK this weekend for Cruella and A Quiet Place 2. I imagine it must be the same for most others.