Your fears for Godzilla Vs Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Your fears for Godzilla Vs Kong

Post by _JNavs_ »

Fish Cakes wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Nah, FvJ is a cult classic.

It did what it set out to do.
Ah, was unaware. Not my kind of film. :p
Yeah, it started out like AVP Requiem, but started to gain a large horror following since people started realizing it was essentially everything a fan of either franchise would want.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

tyrantgoji wrote:am I the only one who liked the movie
Definitely not, between parts one, six, and seven, FvJ is my favorite.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

LockBite wrote:My concern is that it won’t be a good film. Wingard’s track record is less than stellar, and Rossio hasn’t written a good screenplay since Treasure Planet. I have this concern in the pit of my stomach that this is going to feel like a big-budget SciFi Channel Original Movie. I really hope I’m wrong.
Another thing I fear.

Why did Legendary pick that hack Wingard of all directors given Blair Witch and Death Note... -_- Couldn't had gotten anyone better?
Gooblamon wrote:Nah, if this is the end of the Monsterverse (and it looks like it will be), give the fans an epic conclusion, something they've never seen before - the teaming up of Godzilla and Kong.
So you just want it to repeat Civil War and Batman vs. Superman then?

No thanks. I'd rather this be more like Freddy vs. Jason. It doesn't have to end with death exactly just a clear winner as that film shown given the whole One Will Fall tagline. Doing a team up also just demeans the title and point of the film which is all about their fight. These aren't human characters but giant monsters granted intelligent ones but still with an mindset of an animal.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

That Kong will be balding, have a beard and weld a battleaxe.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

jrock wrote:Just don't kill Godzilla. I have this horrible feeling they are in fact going to just that... I hope to God they don't.
Toho contract tho.

According to it Godzilla can't die. Kong is really the only one I can see happening here given past incarnations and point of his character. His whole character alone involves tragedy.

Just please don't be an heroic sacrifice...-_-
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

That Kong will be balding, have a beard, and spend his days drinking Soylent and defending The Last Jedi online
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

LockBite wrote:My concern is that it won’t be a good film. Wingard’s track record is less than stellar, and Rossio hasn’t written a good screenplay since Treasure Planet. I have this concern in the pit of my stomach that this is going to feel like a big-budget SciFi Channel Original Movie. I really hope I’m wrong.
He did a pretty good job with Death Note, I thought. He turned Misa into a femme fatale, which was a big step up from that sexist submissive of her character in the comic.
Fish Cakes wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:You simply just can't mess up when your writing a film with two of the biggest stars in history.
Alien vs. Predator: Requiem
Freddy vs. Jason
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Hey. I got drunk during Batman v Superman and had a blast.

Although, I might have preferred a Man of Steel 2 & 3 instead of rushing into Justice League :P
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

*Spoilers*
Spoiler:
That if Mechagodzilla's in this movie, they won't be able to pull him off
I fear the pacing will be fast paced with no time to breathe or take in the amazing cinematography.

Kong's beards gonna look funny

Godzilla "dies' or disappears after the battle
Long Live The Sting

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Stump Feet wrote:*Spoilers*
Spoiler:
That if Mechagodzilla's in this movie, they won't be able to pull him off
I fear the pacing will be fast paced with no time to breathe or take in the amazing cinematography.

Kong's beards gonna look funny

Godzilla "dies' or disappears after the battle
You don't need to put that in spoilers. They hinted at that in the credits of KoTM..
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Living Corpse wrote:That King Kong WON'T wear a necklace made from chains and Skullcralwer skulls.
I wasn't joking.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Yeah I really like that it actually had a full uninterrupted and satisfying titular fight unlike BvS with it's teamup bull. I'm really hoping we get an actual no holds barred fight like that for GvK.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

That it's going to underperform and we no longer get any Monsterverse movies.

Shadd21
Samurai

Post by Shadd21 »

That Kong is treated as fodder to Godzilla.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GuardianGhido wrote:

Yeah I really like that it actually had a full uninterrupted and satisfying titular fight unlike BvS with it's teamup bull. I'm really hoping we get an actual no holds barred fight like that for GvK.
Yeah, the normal living people had a pretty weak story, but it sets out to deliver what it promised and it succeeds, seeing a dream ghost do some kung fu on a hulking lake zombie. It's not scary and I can understand that disappointment as it's two famous horror icons, but it's a VS crossover, it isn't setting out to be horror, just horror themed. Plus that'd be hard to pull off. Like what, only give a good look at the two in their final battle? That could ruin the fear you felt for earlier scenes.

Now Sadako vs Kayako was a bad movie. Should have been called Sadako bitch slaps my girl, seriously what fucking fight? Looked more like a one sided domestic abuse by two sisters.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

1. That it underperforms. I mean this is an obvious one but still with KOTM not doing hot this year it's understandably worrying that despite the huge novelty of a Godzilla vs Kong rematch, it won't be enough to make a big hit.

2. That it undermines Godzilla's progression as earning his right as King of the Monsters as well as overall character. The reason why I bring this up is that they'll likely make Kong the guy to root for which I understand that he's a monster that's one of the more sympathetic kind but Godzilla in the Legendary universe isn't just a big animal too. He's a powerful monster who has some benevolent layers to him too and him taking down Ghidorah was a huge turning point in the history of the Monsterverse. I'm scared that they'll make Godzilla into just an aggressive foe for Kong to beat especially if it's response to Western people here preferring Kong over Godzilla. I know that's unlikely but still.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: He did a pretty good job with Death Note, I thought. He turned Misa into a femme fatale, which was a big step up from that sexist submissive of her character in the comic.
Wingard made Death Note ignorant, not that is was a masterpiece to begin with but they dumbed it way down and The Blair Witch was a slap to the face to the original.

It's totally reasonable to be worried when you take his filmography into account.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Stump Feet wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: He did a pretty good job with Death Note, I thought. He turned Misa into a femme fatale, which was a big step up from that sexist submissive of her character in the comic.
Wingard made Death Note ignorant, not that is was a masterpiece to begin with but they dumbed it way down and The Blair Witch was a slap to the face to the original.

It's totally reasonable to be worried when you take his filmography into account.
No he did not. I think you're being very harsh on him just because the script wasn't a comic book accurate narration filled Death Note.

The film is well shot and well directed. That ferris wheel scene shows he knows how to do destruction too!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

It bothers me you keep saying "comic book" but besides that, you're free to think what you want, but as a semi-fan of the series, it was a slap to the face
Long Live The Sting

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

The netflix death note movie is the Godzilla98 of death note.
I hope to god wingard stays true to Godzilla, unlile what he did with that movie.
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

BioDestroyer
GPN Volunteer

Post by BioDestroyer »

My fears are that it continues its really confused message, sticks to general poor usage of its monster shots, doesn't stay away from fan service that has no other purpose than fan recognition, and has a weak story-line. There were some serious issues with KOTM and I really hope they learn from them. However, they've already done much of the film by the point of the former's release so I'm not feeling super confident.
Last edited by BioDestroyer on Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:51 am, edited 5 times in total.