King of the Monsters: Film vs Novelization Differences

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

King of the Monsters: Film vs Novelization Differences

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'm mostly curious to know what is different between the two. Might help give us a good idea of what was cut from the film and what a potential director's cut could look like.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: King of the Monsters: Film vs Novelization Differences

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

There's much more info about the Titans.

Also, Admiral Stenz is implied to be killed by Ghidorah at flooded Washington.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

I'm guessing that the novelization is based off of an earlier version of the script, or a version of the film that didn't lose that hour on the cutting room floor. Just a lot more details all around, but nothing is really substantially different. The biggest additions are a few extra viewpoint characters assigned to the containment zones for the non-big four monsters, and a little bit more stuff with Jonah. Also some specific references to the events of Godzilla: Aftershock.
Last edited by HannibalBarca on Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my opinion, of course.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I recall there was a part where Kong made a small appearance (Not counting video footage shown in the movie) being able to resist Ghidorah's call because he's an alpha like him and Godzilla no?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I recall there was a part where Kong made a small appearance (Not counting video footage shown in the movie) ...
Speaking of, only seen the movie once, but was that stock footage from Kong: Skull Island or was that original footage of Kong walking away?
If it bites... don't mess with it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Arbok wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I recall there was a part where Kong made a small appearance (Not counting video footage shown in the movie) ...
Speaking of, only seen the movie once, but was that stock footage from Kong: Skull Island or was that original footage of Kong walking away?
I believe that was new footage, I just watched Kong prior to seeing KOTM, and it definitely wasn't in K:SI
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

It's from the Skull Island, Conrad looking at Kong through binoculars as he walks away after destroying the helicopters.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Smuggers wrote:It's from the Skull Island, Conrad looking at Kong through binoculars as he walks away after destroying the helicopters.
yeah, you can specifically see the rim of the binoculars at the top of the monitor showing it. Which both pulled me out of the movie and reminded me of a classic Showa film using stock footage and pulled me back in

RIP Evan.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Which both pulled me out of the movie and reminded me of a classic Showa film using stock footage and pulled me back in
Bravo Dougherty
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Which both pulled me out of the movie and reminded me of a classic Showa film using stock footage and pulled me back in
Bravo Dougherty
I know you're being sarcastic, but it actually did work, so yeah. Bravo.

RIP Evan.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

To summarize

-Numerous references to G:Aftershocks, Jinshin-Mushi even name dropped. Establishes those events happened very soon after 2014.

-Extended break out scenes for original kaiju that give some extra details. For instance we find Behemoth was set free by a MONARCH traitor who was a sympathizer of Emma and Behemoth is a giant ground sloth with tusks.

-Kong appearance where he resists Ghidorah's commands and instead turns his attention to the skullcrawlers whipping into a frenzy by it.

-Admiral Stenz likely KIA against Ghidorah and Rodan leading the DC attack, last man standing on his ship.

-Extended scenes with Mothra interacting with humans that implies magic might be a thing in this world.

-Epilogue taken directly from the Book of Job which more or less directly states Godzilla is the biblical Leviathan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Desghidorah wrote:To summarize

-Numerous references to G:Aftershocks, Jinshin-Mushi even name dropped. Establishes those events happened very soon after 2014.

-Extended break out scenes for original kaiju that give some extra details. For instance we find Behemoth was set free by a MONARCH traitor who was a sympathizer of Emma and Behemoth is a giant ground sloth with tusks.

-Kong appearance where he resists Ghidorah's commands and instead turns his attention to the skullcrawlers whipping into a frenzy by it.

-Admiral Stenz likely KIA against Ghidorah and Rodan leading the DC attack, last man standing on his ship.

-Extended scenes with Mothra interacting with humans that implies magic might be a thing in this world.

-Epilogue taken directly from the Book of Job which more or less directly states Godzilla is the biblical Leviathan.
Wouldn`t the film have been way better if we actually got more of Ghidorah in DC and killing Admiral Stenz?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Wouldn`t the film have been way better if we actually got more of Ghidorah in DC and killing Admiral Stenz?
No guarantee that those effects shots were actually ever done. The novelization might have just been using a draft of the script, although it's clear from the trailers that some of the scenes that the novelization has were left on the cutting room floor (Madison trying to contact Monarch via radio, for example)
In my opinion, of course.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HannibalBarca wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Wouldn`t the film have been way better if we actually got more of Ghidorah in DC and killing Admiral Stenz?
No guarantee that those effects shots were actually ever done. The novelization might have just been using a draft of the script, although it's clear from the trailers that some of the scenes that the novelization has were left on the cutting room floor (Madison trying to contact Monarch via radio, for example)
No no, Im well are of that. But one of my major complaints (and many others felt this way too) is that we didn`t get enough of Ghidorah in DC. We get like two brief shots, despite it being an important scene at establishing how important of a villain Ghidorah is. It would have also been a nice way to keep the whole undersea portion of the film better paced.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I got a copy coming since I usually read these. What I'm wondering is if they delve a little more into Godzilla getting over-powered at the end. Like was he for sure going to die if not for Mothra or was it just a general fear of 'uh he's gonna set off a huge shockwave so like we should be 100 miles away to be safe.'

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:There's much more info about the Titans.

Man I feel bad for Stenz, I haven't gotten that far in the book but the impression I got from the guy in the movies is in G2014 at first he thinks Serizawa is crazy but slowly comes to agree with him that Godzilla is a balance restorer. And in KOTM, he believes Sierzawa but his hands are tied by the chain of command and he must follow it regardless if he agrees with his superior.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Desghidorah wrote:To summarize

magic? can be more?

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Living Corpse wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:There's much more info about the Titans.

Man I feel bad for Stenz, I haven't gotten that far in the book but the impression I got from the guy in the movies is in G2014 at first he thinks Serizawa is crazy but slowly comes to agree with him that Godzilla is a balance restorer. And in KOTM, he believes Sierzawa but his hands are tied by the chain of command and he must follow it regardless if he agrees with his superior.
I get the same impression. I quite like Stenz and was very happy to see him come back, and over the moon that it was more than just a one scene cameo. I would love to see him agree with Serizawa but forced into opposition with him.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Desghidorah wrote: -Kong appearance where he resists Ghidorah's commands and instead turns his attention to the skullcrawlers whipping into a frenzy by it.

Okay, it makes total sense to not have the Kong scene in the movie, but good lord that would have been cool to see!

Also, referencing Godzilla as being the Leviathan from the Book of Job would have been awesome! I was talking about the movie with some friends the other day and we speculated that Ghidorah's storm powers may have also been the inspiration for the story of the great flood for Noah's Ark in this universe.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

So Alan's daughter was kidnapped and found dead days later in a ditch while he was fighting a war. I think they cut that out of the film, they probably felt it hit too close to home.