KOTM Theater Experience

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Re: KOTM Theater Experience

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Hedorah, the King wrote:All right. Hidy do Tohokingdom, good to see you all still looking beautiful. You're favorite showa man is back, saw KOTM, thought I'd share my thoughts.

I'm gonna say something it doesn't look like you people are going to agree with, but dear God was this movie bad, it was like heisei-tier bad, but in a different way. Anyway we're all here to discuss the theater experience, and boy was it a bad one, can't help but think it made me hate the movie even more.

So I got there on opening night and that theater was desolate, which was nice. A few people trickled in, but of notice was this terrible friend circle that thought it was their God-given right to sit in the row in front of me, just to my right. There were two very odd looking witch/cat ladies, a fat neckbeard, and some nerdy black guy. There may have been one other one there but those are the ones that stood out.

Now these people were seasoned fans, how do I know? Well they couldn't stop nerdgasming all over the goddamn place. I swear to god someone in the movie could've picked up a fork inscribed with Jet Jaguar and they would've howled these terrible soylent screams of joy. They were like a bunch of dumb hyenas. I wonder just what the hell goes through these people's heads when they think it's a good idea to scream and cheer like losers, worst of all they were loudest during the cringiest scenes.

God it was horrid, one of the guys kept trying to impress the women there with random trivia about the kaiju, stuff like monster zero and the oxygen destroyer, that went over like a lead balloon. One screamed when Serizawa died, they seemed to be actively trying to get everyone in the world to go "yeah that's an idiot right there".

So yeah, these people were an embrassment to Godzilla, Toho, Kaiju, and Godzilla fans everywhere, total geeks. The movie itself was so incredibly cringy and these people just made it so much worse. Even if you disagree with my opinion of the movie you got to agree that these fans are the worst.
I don't disagree with it being bad.

Nor am I surprised the audience acted like that. Give people a boring, terrible movie and they start trying to find a way to make it a fun time. It isn't polite and it's not something I would ever do, but I do get why people do it when a movie is just not capable of justifying the cost you spent. Gotta make some kind of an event out of it, yanno?

Added in 4 minutes 59 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:Hm. My theater experiences were completely different from yours. Saw it twice. Both times, most of the jokes landed (the MUTO mating joke didn't land at either showing), on the way out people were saying how great it was and how cool the monsters were. Huge reactions to Mothra stabbing Rodan. Lots of people seemed really invested in the fights, lot of reacting. So. Interesting to see how different our experiences were.
Can I ask when you saw it? Was one (or both) of your viewings on opening day/weekend? Since that would guarantee the theater is full of fans and all.

I saw it on the Friday it came out, but earlier in the evening. So, I honestly expected some fan-raucousness even with the film being what it was. Even I was somewhat surprised by how thoroughly uninvested that particular audience was.

My other viewings all came a week or more after the film released, which I do think gives a better indication of what the GA is actually thinking. Even terrible movies have people hyped at the Thursday @ midnight showings, since the theater is always going to be packed with hardcore fans who've been waiting for this moment for years.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

bugmolly
Monsterland Worker

Re: KOTM Theater Experience

Post by bugmolly »

I saw this movie twice both times were after opening weekend, both times the theater was pretty much 75% full. No one was obnoxious or rude during the showing and I would say most people enjoyed it, they clapped and cheered when the monsters showed up and at the end. I also noticed both time people gasping when serizawa made his sacrifice. I would say I had a great experience in theaters.