KOTM Theater Experience

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: KOTM Theater Experience

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I said it before but my sister decided to see it without me and she came back and raved about how amazing it was and how much she loved Mothra.

Tally from people I know IRL who saw it is 4 loved it, 4 liked it, 2 thought it was ok. I think the RT audience score is accurate.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Tally from people I know IRL who saw it is 4 loved it, 4 liked it, 2 thought it was ok. I think the RT audience score is accurate.
You can't really prove stuff like that from anecdotal personal evidence. I wish more people would get that.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Smuggers wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Tally from people I know IRL who saw it is 4 loved it, 4 liked it, 2 thought it was ok. I think the RT audience score is accurate.
You can't really prove stuff like that from anecdotal personal evidence. I wish more people would get that.
That’s why I said “I think”. I wasn’t trying to prove anything.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Smuggers wrote:
What is he really trying to prove, though? All he's saying is that his observations on how people around him enjoyed it seem to gel with the general perception of the film (generally positive if perhaps not really anything special).

Speaking of which, my own sister went out with her team to see it the other day (their coach is into Godzilla so they made a team outing of it) and she seemed to have generally enjoyed it.

Ninja'd, as usual
Last edited by G2000 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

gottatalktothefake wrote:
Smuggers wrote:
That’s why I said “I think”. I wasn’t trying to prove anything.
Okay, poor choice of words. I figured this was another case of trying to confirm something from a small poll or twitter buzz and stuff like that. Just saying you're not gonna come across an 80% like/dislike ratio for this movie wherever you go.
Last edited by Smuggers on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

The 2nd screening I went too was fun as hell, even better than the first one actually. Brought my family along too, and my sister's excited reaction to Godzilla rising out of the ocean/blasting Ghidorah on his entrance to Boston was the cutest thing. She was also getting worried for him when Ghidorah was draining him out of his energy, I had to assure her he will survive lol. The rest of my family enjoyed the movie, and my mother even got emotional during the Serizawa sacrifice scene (she liked 2014 too btw). The rest of the audience was surprisingly decent, no obnoxious interruptings or other disrespectful behavior. They were all pretty inversed in the movie, and the Rodan/Ghidorah/Godzilla Mexico sequence ending with Ghidorah's alpha call definitely got a few holy sh*ts from the audience. Somebody from behind even clapped slightly during the ending and the bowing scene :lol:

Honestly had a pretty great time, some members of the audience even stayed for a while to see the credits.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

I watched KOTM twice with a friend; who's not necessarily a fan of the franchise, I watched a few of the movies with him and he's said he watched the original (I don't know if it was Gojira or the original KOTM), but I don't think he's ever been really into them, he likes the Heisei Gamera trilogy though. He liked the movie and really liked King Ghidorah, he even spent a bit trying to pronounce Ghidorah right and made the KG poster as his wallpaper on his phone.

He asked if any of the Titans (except the MUTO) at the end ever appeared in the older movies and was kinda confused as to why they were there instead of older ones, though he did like them, especially Behemoth.

All in all, I'm happy that he enjoyed it and how much he likes King Ghidorah now :D .
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillavsZilla wrote:I watched KOTM twice with a friend; who's not necessarily a fan of the franchise, I watched a few of the movies with him and he's said he watched the original (I don't know if it was Gojira or the original KOTM), but I don't think he's ever been really into them, he likes the Heisei Gamera trilogy though. He liked the movie and really liked King Ghidorah, he even spent a bit trying to pronounce Ghidorah right and made the KG poster as his wallpaper on his phone.

He asked if any of the Titans (except the MUTO) at the end ever appeared in the older movies and was kinda confused as to why they were there instead of older ones, though he did like them, especially Behemoth.

All in all, I'm happy that he enjoyed it and how much he likes King Ghidorah now :D .
i think everyone likes Behemoth now. Certainly my favorite. until i see the other's that is..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

I was sweating trying to control myself from nerding because I happened to be sitting between an old man and a 5 year old
your source of self destruction

Hedorah, the King
Yojimbo

Post by Hedorah, the King »

All right. Hidy do Tohokingdom, good to see you all still looking beautiful. You're favorite showa man is back, saw KOTM, thought I'd share my thoughts.

I'm gonna say something it doesn't look like you people are going to agree with, but dear God was this movie bad, it was like heisei-tier bad, but in a different way. Anyway we're all here to discuss the theater experience, and boy was it a bad one, can't help but think it made me hate the movie even more.

So I got there on opening night and that theater was desolate, which was nice. A few people trickled in, but of notice was this terrible friend circle that thought it was their God-given right to sit in the row in front of me, just to my right. There were two very odd looking witch/cat ladies, a fat neckbeard, and some nerdy black guy. There may have been one other one there but those are the ones that stood out.

Now these people were seasoned fans, how do I know? Well they couldn't stop nerdgasming all over the goddamn place. I swear to god someone in the movie could've picked up a fork inscribed with Jet Jaguar and they would've howled these terrible soylent screams of joy. They were like a bunch of dumb hyenas. I wonder just what the hell goes through these people's heads when they think it's a good idea to scream and cheer like losers, worst of all they were loudest during the cringiest scenes.

God it was horrid, one of the guys kept trying to impress the women there with random trivia about the kaiju, stuff like monster zero and the oxygen destroyer, that went over like a lead balloon. One screamed when Serizawa died, they seemed to be actively trying to get everyone in the world to go "yeah that's an idiot right there".

So yeah, these people were an embrassment to Godzilla, Toho, Kaiju, and Godzilla fans everywhere, total geeks. The movie itself was so incredibly cringy and these people just made it so much worse. Even if you disagree with my opinion of the movie you got to agree that these fans are the worst.
Hedorah, the King of the Monsters

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Hedorah, the King wrote:Even if you disagree with my opinion of the movie you got to agree that these fans are the worst.
Nope, not even close to the worse.

Hedorah, the King
Yojimbo

Living Corpse wrote:
Hedorah, the King wrote:Even if you disagree with my opinion of the movie you got to agree that these fans are the worst.
What would you say is the worst then? I fail to see how it can get worse than overeager manchildren.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Hedorah, the King wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
What would you say is the worst then? I fail to see how it can get worse than overeager manchildren.
go a couple pages back. you weren't the only one to have a bad experience, to the point i'd say you got lucky.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Hedorah, the King
Yojimbo

tyrantgoji wrote:
Hedorah, the King wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
go a couple pages back. you weren't the only one to have a bad experience, to the point i'd say you got lucky.
What did they get shot mid watch? Because that's the only way I can see it getting worse.

Jokes aside I can't be certain about what you're referring to since you didn't provide specifics but I've done a little leafing through this thread and at the risk of alienating some people on here I'd say things like saying "goodbye" when the oxygen destroyer hits Godzilla or teenagers "insulting" Godzilla in some way is basically of no issue, much more irritating where the people in my theater I'd say, because they're just humiliating themselves in the extent to which they'll embarrassingly freak out over Godzilla and friends.

Red Hunter
Monarch Researcher

Post by Red Hunter »

I saw it 2 times when it was aalmost going out. It wasa the first time in my life I ever waatched a Godzillaa movie in theathers (i sadly lost G2014 and only watched it and kong 2017 in the internet this year cuz I wanted to know all about monsterverse and the previous history)

I just loved it cuz it was all about other godzilla movies were about. Monster deathmatch and so on. It was even bettet than G14 cuz they hopefully decided to put the human drama under aside and put the monsters above. In fact I feel now I know how the elders feel when they saw G in theathers in the other eraas

Added in 56 seconds:
I just regret that at least here in my city (im from brasil) there wasa no popcorn barrel themed as KOTM lol
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

Don't read this. You did, see ya in hell

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

On my second screening a woman brought her 2 year old.

That was fun.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Gothicserpent wrote:On my second screening a woman brought her 2 year old.

That was fun.
"reeeee! REEEEEEEEEEEE!"
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

I saw it twice on opening night with my friends. We all freaked out the entire time and the one to my left cried during Serizawa's sacrifice. They both loved it and we're excited to see it again. We saw it again right after, that time in 3D. Saw it in IMAX with one of my uncle's and there was barely an audience. The ones who were there made no reaction. The fourth and last time I saw it was with my other uncle. Same kind of audience as the IMAX screening. Overall, if I saw it with friends the experience was the shit. Otherwise, it just was shit. Better than screaming babies, which I actually did have for my first watch. Thankfully they left halfway through the movie and it didn't fully ruin the experience.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Despite my lack of appreciation for the film, I've seen it a number of times now. This is mostly because 1. I want to do my part to try to keep the franchise going in spite of the poor quality of KOTM and 2. because I really want to somehow find a way to like this movie.

It looks like neither one of those wishes are likely to come true.

Anyway, adding to my previous theater experience post, I have not seen a single positive audience reaction. At each viewing of the film, the audience was pretty much dead silent during the "jokes"; nobody finds that shit funny because it isn't. My second time seeing it, I heard not one, but two different people who had just come out into the lobby calling the movie terrible; one of them said, and I quote, "that was the stupidest movie I've ever seen".

Most recent time seeing it, I noticed a group get up and leave right around the time Mothra showed up doing her god rays and Chen said that stupid "Mothra - Queen of the Monsters!" line. No way to know for sure, but judging by the smirks on their faces, I'm guessing they'd had enough stupidity for the day.

Also during that screening, I noticed a young boy - maybe 6 or so - who brought a Godzilla toy to the theater and seemed very excited. I watched him literally fall asleep during the Antarctica fight. He woke up about an hour later and seemed thoroughly bored the entire time. Poor kid. I couldn't help but think, "I'm sure glad my first Godzilla theater experience wasn't KOTM".

Overall, based on my multiple experiences, my subjective observations confirm what both critical reactions and BO data have indicated from the beginning: this isn't a good movie.

Somewhat of a sidenote: who's hoping for a really great fan edit when this comes out? Something that gets rid of some of that awful exposition, reduces the stupid cutaways, etc.? I have some video editing experience myself. Just sayin'.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Hm. My theater experiences were completely different from yours. Saw it twice. Both times, most of the jokes landed (the MUTO mating joke didn't land at either showing), on the way out people were saying how great it was and how cool the monsters were. Huge reactions to Mothra stabbing Rodan. Lots of people seemed really invested in the fights, lot of reacting. So. Interesting to see how different our experiences were.
Last edited by Maritonic on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.