The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11440
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby miguelnuva » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:20 pm

Living Corpse wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Well according to the novel, the Skullcrawlers are raising hell on Skull Island, not only that, but a flock of Leafwings have escaped the storms around Skull Island and joined Scylla, Behemoth, Methusulah, Rodan, and Muto 3 in Boston.


And people are saying King Kong wasn't doing poop. He may not care what happens off his island, but his keeping the Skullcrawlers from leaving probably helped save lives, less monsters for the rest of the world to deal with.


If the skullcrawlers leave and piss off Godzilla which they would be doing they'll be begging to get back on the island with Kong.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

martian001
Ronin
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:46 pm

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby martian001 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:34 am

I know Dougherty said 'bat creatures from Skull Island' were present during the final shot, but I still can't remember seeing them. Just another one of those things that justifies going frame by frame when the Blu-ray comes out.

User avatar
GuardianGhido
Interpol Agent
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 am

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby GuardianGhido » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:41 am

martian001 wrote:I know Dougherty said 'bat creatures from Skull Island' were present during the final shot, but I still can't remember seeing them. Just another one of those things that justifies going frame by frame when the Blu-ray comes out.

They were in the novelization. Not too sure about the movie itself. (Then again, considering how pathetically small they are compared to Goji and the likes, we'd probably not see them at all)
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:
Valkanai wrote:Bad luck had absolutely everything to do with those numbers, and denying that is just kind of being a hater.

You heard it here folks, if you have ANY criticisms towards this movie at all, you’re a bonafide Hater


That's... not what he said, dude.

martian001
Ronin
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:46 pm

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby martian001 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:16 am

I wonder if they move through the scene like a flock of birds.

User avatar
Living Corpse
Keizer
Posts: 9367
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby Living Corpse » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:05 pm

GuardianGhido wrote:
martian001 wrote:I know Dougherty said 'bat creatures from Skull Island' were present during the final shot, but I still can't remember seeing them. Just another one of those things that justifies going frame by frame when the Blu-ray comes out.

They were in the novelization. Not too sure about the movie itself. (Then again, considering how pathetically small they are compared to Goji and the likes, we'd probably not see them at all)


They actually grow to be pretty big, big enough to fight his parents and ancestors. King Kong just kills them before they get that big, the Skull Devil was one that managed to slip through the cracks and even then it wasn't as big as the ones his species has fought in the past, Skull Devil was medium sized like him, probably a teenager like him.

Image

Image
Image

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4369
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby _JNavs_ » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:10 pm

Living Corpse wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
martian001 wrote:I know Dougherty said 'bat creatures from Skull Island' were present during the final shot, but I still can't remember seeing them. Just another one of those things that justifies going frame by frame when the Blu-ray comes out.

They were in the novelization. Not too sure about the movie itself. (Then again, considering how pathetically small they are compared to Goji and the likes, we'd probably not see them at all)


They actually grow to be pretty big, big enough to fight his parents and ancestors. King Kong just kills them before they get that big, the Skull Devil was one that managed to slip through the cracks and even then it wasn't as big as the ones his species has fought in the past, Skull Devil was medium sized like him, probably a teenager like him.

Image

Image

As dope as these pics are, we were talking about those really small leafwings lol
Image
Sith Apprentice. きの Dragon Tamer. ニューヨーク市.

User avatar
Living Corpse
Keizer
Posts: 9367
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby Living Corpse » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:33 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:They were in the novelization. Not too sure about the movie itself. (Then again, considering how pathetically small they are compared to Goji and the likes, we'd probably not see them at all)


They actually grow to be pretty big, big enough to fight his parents and ancestors. King Kong just kills them before they get that big, the Skull Devil was one that managed to slip through the cracks and even then it wasn't as big as the ones his species has fought in the past, Skull Devil was medium sized like him, probably a teenager like him.

Image

Image

As dope as these pics are, we were talking about those really small leafwings lol


Oh my bad.
Image

User avatar
ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:56 am

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby ebirah_scampi » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:56 pm

martian001 wrote:I know Dougherty said 'bat creatures from Skull Island' were present during the final shot, but I still can't remember seeing them. Just another one of those things that justifies going frame by frame when the Blu-ray comes out.


I didn't notice them the first time I saw it but upon a rewatch last weekend I could've swore you can see small flying creatures in the distance in the scenes where the Titans are approaching Godzilla before the bow. I could totally have imagined it though simply because I heard this.

User avatar
Vandarker
Interpol Agent
Posts: 494
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:15 am

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby Vandarker » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:47 pm

I really want to see Kong take on Behemoth in the next movie. Kong will surely win, and if such a fight does happen I don't expect it to be much more than a brief, passing scene. Still it would be awesome.

User avatar
Cryptid_Liker
Samurai
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 am

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Could that HD Behemoth image be from a deleted scene?

User avatar
Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 875
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby Tyrant28 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:24 pm

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Could that HD Behemoth image be from a deleted scene?

It is from the credit news article of Behemoth just with actual color,
MrRockett wrote:They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
Interpol Agent
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby Rhedosaurus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:42 am

Just curious. In the novelization, Typhon is one of the 17 titans that woke up yet at the same time, the book heavily implies that Ghidorah is the source of the Typhon myth.

Did Typhon already exist and got overshadowed by Ghidorah or something?

User avatar
Cryptid_Liker
Samurai
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 am

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:03 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:Just curious. In the novelization, Typhon is one of the 17 titans that woke up yet at the same time, the book heavily implies that Ghidorah is the source of the Typhon myth.

Did Typhon already exist and got overshadowed by Ghidorah or something?


This might be a Leviathan situation. Godzilla inspired the biblical Leviathan but there is still a Titanus Leviathan.

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
Interpol Agent
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby Rhedosaurus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:29 am

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Just curious. In the novelization, Typhon is one of the 17 titans that woke up yet at the same time, the book heavily implies that Ghidorah is the source of the Typhon myth.

Did Typhon already exist and got overshadowed by Ghidorah or something?


This might be a Leviathan situation. Godzilla inspired the biblical Leviathan but there is still a Titanus Leviathan.


Which is ironic since Godzilla is clearly male yet in the bible the Leviathan is female (God made a pair, a male and female, but killed off the male because a breed of them would destroy the world).

User avatar
G2000
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4346
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: The Confederate States of America

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby G2000 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:13 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:Which is ironic since Godzilla is clearly male yet in the bible the Leviathan is female (God made a pair, a male and female, but killed off the male because a breed of them would destroy the world).


I'll contest this. In most English translations of the Bible the Leviathan is referred to as a male (for example in Job 41, where he is repeatedly referred to as a "he" and and as a "king"). The idea of there once having been two Leviathans but God having slain one to prevent them from breeding seems to have originated by later Judaic scholars; but even so they tend to specify that the female was the one slain by God while the male was spared.

The great fish in the sea, and in the words of the Aggadah (B.B. 74b), this refers to the Leviathan and its mate, for He created them male and female, and He slew the female and salted her away for the righteous in the future, for if they would propagate, the world could not exist because of them. הַתַּנִינִם is written. [I.e., the final “yud,” which denotes the plural, is missing, hence the implication that the Leviathan did not remain two, but that its number was reduced to one.]- [from Gen. Rabbah 7:4, Midrash Chaseroth V’Yetheroth, Batei Midrashoth, vol 2, p. 225].


That being said there are some other later Jewish texts that describe the Leviathan as a female, notably the Book of Enoch. My point still stands, though; Leviathan tends to generally be seen and depicted as a male.

Headcanon time: the ancient mythological staple of a storm god slaying a giant reptilian sea monster (Yahweh slaying a Leviathan in Abrahamic religion, Hadad slaying Lotan in Canaanite mythology, Thor slaying Jormungandr in Norse mythology, the Hittite Tarhunz slaying Illuyanka) is in the Monsterverse a corruption of ancient retellings of Godzilla's numerous battles with Ghidorah, and the idea of Leviathan once having had a mate who was slain originates in psychics who have encountered Godzilla, who remembers how his own mate died in the jaws of Ghidorah many years ago (the novelization and one scene in the film seem to indicate that psychic powers do exist in the Monsterverse).
Last edited by G2000 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
Cryptid_Liker
Samurai
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 am

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:32 am

G2000 wrote:(the novelization and one scene in the film seem to indicate that psychic powers do exist in the Monsterverse).


The redacted text apparently confirm this as true.

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
Interpol Agent
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby Rhedosaurus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:57 am

G2000 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Which is ironic since Godzilla is clearly male yet in the bible the Leviathan is female (God made a pair, a male and female, but killed off the male because a breed of them would destroy the world).


I'll contest this. In most English translations of the Bible the Leviathan is referred to as a male (for example in Job 41, where he is repeatedly referred to as a "he" and and as a "king"). The idea of there once having been two Leviathans but God having slain one to prevent them from breeding seems to have originated by later Judaic scholars; but even so they tend to specify that the female was the one slain by God while the male was spared.

The great fish in the sea, and in the words of the Aggadah (B.B. 74b), this refers to the Leviathan and its mate, for He created them male and female, and He slew the female and salted her away for the righteous in the future, for if they would propagate, the world could not exist because of them. הַתַּנִינִם is written. [I.e., the final “yud,” which denotes the plural, is missing, hence the implication that the Leviathan did not remain two, but that its number was reduced to one.]- [from Gen. Rabbah 7:4, Midrash Chaseroth V’Yetheroth, Batei Midrashoth, vol 2, p. 225].


That being said there are some other later Jewish texts that describe the Leviathan as a female, notably the Book of Enoch. My point still stands, though; Leviathan tends to generally be seen and depicted as a male.

Headcanon time: the ancient mythological staple of a storm god slaying a giant reptilian sea monster (Yahweh slaying a Leviathan in Abrahamic religion, Hadad slaying Lotan in Canaanite mythology, Thor slaying Jormungandr in Norse mythology, the Hittite Tarhunz slaying Illuyanka) is in the Monsterverse a corruption of ancient retellings of Godzilla's numerous battles with Ghidorah, and the idea of Leviathan once having had a mate who was slain originates in psychics who have encountered Godzilla, who remembers how his own mate died in the jaws of Ghidorah many years ago (the novelization and one scene in the film seem to indicate that psychic powers do exist in the Monsterverse).


The book of Enoch is the main source of the Leviathan being a female for me. TBH, I didn't know that there were so many texts that say otherwise. At least not from all the books that I read before.

User avatar
KaijuShill17
Samurai
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:08 am

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby KaijuShill17 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:29 am

So I noticed a little something while watching the opening and end credits again on YouTube. I dunno if it can be considered an Easter egg or not because I'm not even sure it was intentional. But anyway, despite only four of them physically appearing in the film itself, both the opening and ending credits allude to or reference most of the new Titans in various different ways.

Methuselah and (who I'm assuming is) Sekhmet appear in the opening sequence as carvings (next to the company logos), during the end credits Scylla and Behemoth are featured in news reports on how the Titans are helping the planet, very old illustrations of Leviathan, Kraken, Yamata no Orochi, and Typhon are shown very briefly, there's some stock footage of the MUTOs, as well as an ancient Babylonian carving of Tiamat.

So that leaves Baphomet, Quetzalcoatl, Margygr, Mokele-Mbembe, Abaddon, Sargon, and Bunyip as the only new Titans that were never actually alluded to or referenced in the credits, but it is possible that I simply missed them.

Could be a coincidence, but the fact that most of the new Titans were technically in the film makes it interesting either way.

Added in 20 minutes 37 seconds:
This is completely random, but how the heck do you pronounce Margygr? I've been searching for the past thirty minutes but I've found nothing. I did find out that Margygr is probably derived from the word Hafgygr, which yields more results on Google, but still no word on how you're supposed to pronounce it.

I've been pronouncing Margygr "Mar-Geiger," but I have a feeling that's not the right way to say it.
Last edited by KaijuShill17 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pons
Ronin
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby Pons » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:59 am

KaijuShill17 wrote:So I noticed a little something while watching the opening and end credits again on YouTube. I dunno if it can be considered an Easter egg or not because I'm not even sure it was intentional. But anyway, despite only four of them physically appearing in the film itself, both the opening and ending credits allude to or reference most of the new Titans in various different ways.

Methuselah and (who I'm assuming is) Sekhmet appear in the opening sequence as carvings (next to the company logos), during the end credits Scylla and Behemoth are featured in news reports on how the Titans are helping the planet, very old illustrations of Leviathan, Kraken, Yamata no Orochi, and Typhon are shown very briefly, there's some stock footage of the MUTOs, as well as an ancient Babylonian carving of Tiamat.

So that leaves Baphomet, Quetzalcoatl, Margygr, Mokele-Mbembe, Abaddon, Sargon, and Bunyip as the only new Titans that were never actually alluded to or referenced in the credits, but it is possible that I simply missed them.

Could be a coincidence, but the fact that most of the new Titans were technically in the film makes it interesting either way.

Added in 20 minutes 37 seconds:
This is completely random, but how the heck do you pronounce Margygr? I've been searching for the past thirty minutes but I've found nothing. I did find out that Margygr is probably derived from the word Hafgygr, which yields more results on Google, but still no word on how you're supposed to pronounce it.

I've been pronouncing Margygr "Mar-Geiger," but I have a feeling that's not the right way to say it.

Does Methuselah in the opening credits look like Sayaka's drawing, or is he slightly different? Could you describe him?

User avatar
Cryptid_Liker
Samurai
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 am

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:44 am

KaijuShill17 wrote:
Methuselah and (who I'm assuming is) Sekhmet appear in the opening sequence as carvings (next to the company logos)


Methuselah wasn't in the opening sequence. Behemoth, the winged lion, Rodan, and Ghidorah are.


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Current)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Daiken54 and 2 guests