King of the Monsters Easter Eggs Thread [Spoilers]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
Mr. Yellow
Interpol Agent

Re: King of the Monsters Easter Eggs Thread [Spoilers]

Postby Mr. Yellow » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:38 am

Could've been my hearing, but one of the ships used was called the "S.S. Brody" possibly a 2014 reference.

Pretty much everything else I noticed has been pointed out, but I was secretly hoping for a few references to other giant monsters lol. Like Behemoth attacking London.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Postby Ben Shapiro » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:35 am

Gawdziller1954 wrote:In the novelization, one of Jona's men is nicknamed "The Mountain" due to his size, a reference to Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane from GOT, who similarly serves a character played by Charles Dance.

That’s amazing :lol:

The Mountain was a beast lol
Facts don't care about your feelings

Xagzan
Samurai

Postby Xagzan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:45 am

JAGzilla wrote:So I was in the minority in getting a big, stupid grin when Monarch's Ospreys were designated as Raptors?

Was that at all a reference to the old Marc Cerasini books, where I believe they also had Raptor choppers?
Last edited by Xagzan on Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
Interpol Agent

Postby Gawdziller1954 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:53 am

Ben Shapiro wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:In the novelization, one of Jona's men is nicknamed "The Mountain" due to his size, a reference to Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane from GOT, who similarly serves a character played by Charles Dance.

That’s amazing :lol:

The Mountain was a beast lol

CLEGANEBOWL CONFIRMED with FACTS and LOGIC

GET
HYPE
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:00 am

I don't think there's any way at all it wasn't a Cerasini reference. Godzilla 2000 had the modified Ospreys called Raptor-1 and Raptor-2, and IIRC the first Osprey we saw in KOTM was referred to as Raptor-1. We also got a Raptor-5 later, though I don't remember if any others were named.

That was possibly my favorite reference, both because I was a huge Godzilla 2000 fan as a kid and because that shows that some serious homework was done. Monster Zero, the numbers of the Monarch facilities, the Destroy All Monsters sign... those are appreciated (Monster Zero, especially), but they're also things any non-fan could pick up from two minutes on Wikipedia. The Raptors are a lot more obscure, with even plenty of lifelong fans probably being unaware of them, so somebody involved in production either read the book or did a pretty good amount of digging for ideas and details.

Xagzan
Samurai

Postby Xagzan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:07 am

JAGzilla wrote:I don't think there's any way at all it wasn't a Cerasini reference. Godzilla 2000 had the modified Ospreys called Raptor-1 and Raptor-2, and IIRC the first Osprey we saw in KOTM was referred to as Raptor-1. We also got a Raptor-5 later, though I don't remember if any others were named.

That was possibly my favorite reference, both because I was a huge Godzilla 2000 fan as a kid and because that shows that some serious homework was done. Monster Zero, the numbers of the Monarch facilities, the Destroy All Monsters sign... those are appreciated (Monster Zero, especially), but they're also things any non-fan could pick up from two minutes on Wikipedia. The Raptors are a lot more obscure, with even plenty of lifelong fans probably being unaware of them, so somebody involved in production either read the book or did a pretty good amount of digging for ideas and details.

Yeah to be honest, I wasn't sure if any of the movies had Raptors, and so maybe Cerasini had taken them from there, but the books were the only thing that popped into my head when they said it.

GoWhaleTours
Interpol Agent

Postby GoWhaleTours » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:14 am

I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but Rodan’s outpost was Outpost 56, which is the year Rodan came out.
Instagram- @MushroomZeroArt

Cryptid_Liker
Samurai

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:01 am

GoWhaleTours wrote:I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but Rodan’s outpost was Outpost 56, which is the year Rodan came out.

And Mothra's in Outpost 61, as in 1961.

Living Corpse
Keizer

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:12 am

JAGzilla wrote:I don't think there's any way at all it wasn't a Cerasini reference. Godzilla 2000 had the modified Ospreys called Raptor-1 and Raptor-2, and IIRC the first Osprey we saw in KOTM was referred to as Raptor-1. We also got a Raptor-5 later, though I don't remember if any others were named.

Nice catch, I missed it even.

gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper

Postby gottatalktothefake » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:34 am

That's impressive that it was put in, but that someone picked up on it. Nice find
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

Omegamorph
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Omegamorph » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:27 pm

vibramrunner wrote:Ghidorah chasing Emma's car was a great reference to G'98!

:: waits to get shot by firing squad ::

on the other hand, the sonar shots looked A LOT like the ones in G98..

_JNavs_
EDF Soldier

Postby _JNavs_ » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:33 pm

Is the idea that Godzilla was worshipped by what seems to be Atlantis a reference to Gamera being Atlantis' protector? Or is that a Yoga Reach
Sith Apprentice. Dragon Tamer.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Postby Godzilla21 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:34 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:Is the idea that Godzilla was worshipped by what seems to be Atlantis a reference to Gamera being Atlantis' protector? Or is that a Yoga Reach

Huge reach id say
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
G-Grasper

Postby Mecha-SpaceGhidorah » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:33 am

The news article during the end credits about the discovery of a giant (Mothra?) egg was written by one Steven Martin.
Last edited by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
    ~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

MothraRocks
EDF Soldier

Postby MothraRocks » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:38 am

Every outpost has a number that correlates in some way to the franchise.
54- Gojira
55- Raids Again
56- Rodan
61- Mothra
75- Terror of MechaGodzilla
91- Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
32- Reference to The Thing and is also half of 64, the year GTTHM came out.

Also, Dr. Chen and her twin were an obvious reference to the Mothra Faires, but if you also pay close attention, she's the one who verbally defends Mothra when it is suspected that when she comes out from the cocoon she will be "bigger and meaner", and also right before Mothra descends into Boston, Chen can be seen looking up almost pleadingly. Subtle, but lovely little connections/ Easter Eggs.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

GoWhaleTours
Interpol Agent

Postby GoWhaleTours » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:56 am

MothraRocks wrote:Every outpost has a number that correlates in some way to the franchise.
54- Gojira
55- Raids Again
56- Rodan
61- Mothra

Also, Dr. Chen and her twin were an obvious reference to the Mothra Faires, but if you also pay close attention, she's the one who verbally defends Mothra when it is suspected that when she comes out from the cocoon she will be "bigger and meaner", and also right before Mothra descends into Boston, Chen can be seen looking up almost pleadingly. Subtle, but lovely little connections/ Easter Eggs.

Judging from the cut credits scene, and mike’s twitter, I’d say Chen and her sister are more than just a reference to the twins.
Instagram- @MushroomZeroArt

MothraRocks
EDF Soldier

Postby MothraRocks » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:43 am

^Yeah, just found out about those, and it seems like he had a lot more set up for them. Sounds super exciting, hopefully that idea gets introduced later in the MV.

Cryptid_Liker
Samurai

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:58 am

MothraRocks wrote:Every outpost has a number that correlates in some way to the franchise.
54- Gojira
55- Raids Again
56- Rodan
61- Mothra

I think that aside from the main 4, they're all coincidences.
For example, in what way is Scylla related to Godzilla Raids Again?

MothraRocks
EDF Soldier

Postby MothraRocks » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:14 pm

^The monsters themselves don't have a correlation to the past films, but the numbers are what I'm referring too. I'm pretty sure at some point I even saw a 72 and 95, and I would just find it too much of a coincidence that of all the numbers they could go with they chose ones that are significant to release years in the series.

On a slightly unrelated note, I am totally digging Scylla and her design. Very creepy. I wonder if back in the (Ancient Greek) day, opposite the cliff she used to dwell on if there was an opening to the Hollow Earth which created the whirlpool "monster" known as Charybdis.

jrock
Ronin

Postby jrock » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:58 am

I swear to god when Charles Dance and Millie Bobby Brown were in the Elevator and Dance put his hand over his face I immediately thought of this..

:)

Last edited by jrock on Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Current)”