King of the Monsters Easter Eggs Thread [Spoilers]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Spuro
Keizer

King of the Monsters Easter Eggs Thread [Spoilers]

Post by Spuro »

Might be jumping the gun a bit since most of us have only seen the movie once, but I thought a thread dedicated to compiling the easter eggs in this movie would be nice.

A small one, but one I noticed early on in the opening montage was one of the protesters in favor of the eradication of the titans carrying a sign that read "Destroy All Monsters".

Dougherty also told us to look on the monitors, though I admit I didn't catch anything my first viewing. I was wondering if anyone else did.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Re: King of the Monsters Easter Eggs Thread [Spoilers]

Post by ApexOversteer »

In the credits, Godzilla, Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra are all listed as having been played by themselves...

At the end of the credits, there are tributes to Godzilla vs Hedorah writer/director Yoshimitsu Banno, and iconic Showa Godzilla suit actor Haruo Nakajima...

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Dr Chen and Dr Ling's mother and aunt 1961 Infant Island photo
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Kong being referenced throughout the film, including that dope credits scene with the painting of the 2 duking it out during the ancient times.

Added in 35 seconds:
Do we have any leaked pics of what the other kaiju looked like? The mammoth gorilla looked dope, I hope we get to see his fighting style in the future, (maybe against Kong???)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu May 30, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

_JNavs_ wrote:Kong being referenced throughout the film, including that dope credits scene with the painting of the 2 duking it out during the ancient times.

Added in 35 seconds:
Do we have any leaked pics of what the other kaiju looked like? The mammoth gorilla looked dope, I hope we get to see his fighting style in the future, (maybe against Kong???)
There is some in the Spoiler thread
Last edited by Godzilla2000Zero on Thu May 30, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

I noticed during Farmigas speech that one of the shots was the burning town shot from the teaser of G14 that was not used in the actual film and later a news glimpse of the train wreckage from 14 as well.

Also
Spoiler:
when Rodan is about to finish Mothra, as his head closes in and he suddenly stops and it’s revealed Mothra uses the stinger, it was the same feel as Femuto about to kill Ford only to stop and jerk because G had her by the neck...
There was other stuff, still trying to digest it all.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MrRockett wrote:
Also
Spoiler:
when Rodan is about to finish Mothra, as his head closes in and he suddenly stops and it’s revealed Mothra uses the stinger, it was the same feel as Femuto about to kill Ford only to stop and jerk because G had her by the neck...
That femuto scene was also kinda replicated at the end when Ghidorahs face looks like he's about to kill the audience, and it turns out to be Godzilla with Ghidorahs decapitated head, before finishing off the brutal fatality.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

_JNavs_ wrote:
MrRockett wrote:
Also
Spoiler:
That femuto scene was also kinda replicated at the end when Ghidorahs face looks like he's about to kill the audience, and it turns out to be Godzilla with Ghidorahs decapitated head, before finishing off the brutal fatality.
Yeah, he’s by far the most ruthless Godzilla ever...up close kills. Very personal!
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Dr Chen and Dr Ling's mother and aunt 1961 Infant Island photo
I did catch that one of the photos of her family was specifically lists as "Infant Island."

Also, is she (and her twin sister, that completely threw me for a second when I saw that scene) intended to be related to Lin for K:SI? I seem to remember that as being, at least, a rumor, but I'm not sure. I know that Brooks has a son in the Birth of Kong (I haven't read that yet) that I think is supposed to also Lin's, yes?
MrRockett wrote:I noticed during Farmigas speech that one of the shots was the burning town shot from the teaser of G14 that was not used in the actual film and later a news glimpse of the train wreckage from 14 as well.
I thought that the shot from her speech was from the proof-of-concept teaser, but I had to wait to watch both again to be sure. Do you remember when the news footage that used the train shot was? I missed that one.
Last edited by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah on Fri May 31, 2019 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Apparently one of Whitford's lines was ripped almost directly from GMK? The line about if the stones could talk.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I don't know if this counts as an Easter Egg, but I got a chuckle when Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah were all listed in the cast credits as being played by HIMSELF and HERSELF.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

One other thing, the start of the movie had the footsteps and then the roar. Cool nod to the original.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I also noticed that the cannons in Monarch's underwater base were called masers! That brought a big smile on my face. :D
Last edited by G-Matt on Fri May 31, 2019 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Where to begin? Some of these might be more then the Easter eggs:

SEATOPIANS/MU/ATLANTIS:
Even though this is the most out there, I’m putting it up at the top, because it’s the coolest if it’s intentional. The whole undersea city thing, and hollow earth thing could’ve easily been a big reference to the seatopians. They’re people that lived in the hollow earth for millennia and worshipped giant monsters. Heck, I half expected Manda to randomly be there in that scene.

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 1993:
The way Mothra lands on Godzilla and gives him energy is very similar to how Fire Rodan lands on Godzilla and gives him a big boost. It’s similar to it as well, as right after that Godzilla gets the spiral heat Ray, and everything around him burns.

Godzilla vs. Destroyah:
Similar to above, except instead of just getting the spiral heat ray, Godzilla becomes Fire Godzilla which is pretty much just Burning Godzilla minus the melt down (might this be one of the more powerful Godzilla’s?

GMK:
Mothra saving Godzilla, is nearly the same to how Mothra saves Ghidorah from Godzilla in gmk. In both scenes, she gets in Front of a killing beam that spells her end, to save the big good monster of the film.

G14: lots, everyone pointed it out.
KSI: same as above.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

They used footage from the concept reel for 2014.
Yooo 8-)

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

The giant underwater cannons Monarch prepares to defend itself with when Godzilla approaches Castle Bravo are Masers according to the monitors Barnes and the others sit at.

There's discussion of how Titan DNA has become very valuable on the black market, with every country and corporation after some, a la Saradia and BioMajor in Godzilla vs. Biollante.

Monarch's Argo airship is a reference to the Argo from Jason and the Argonauts. Near the end of the Harryhausen film, Jason battles a Hydra.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

- A friend of mine said: Could the rainforest in the Sahara be Biollante?

- Also, when the pilot ejects and immediately is swallowed by Rodan, is that a Giant Claw reference?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

H-Man wrote:- A friend of mine said: Could the rainforest in the Sahara be Biollante?

- Also, when the pilot ejects and immediately is swallowed by Rodan, is that a Giant Claw reference?
Considering how explicitly the film makes other references both seem likely.

Especially the latter, although I could’ve sworn Rodan does something similar in the 56 film.

A lot of people are talking about how much of a showa film this is, but I can’t help but think of how much it references the Heisei films.

Godzilla Final Wars also comes to mind, with Ghidorah being trapped in ice (instead of Godzilla) and a quick fight between Gigan and Godzilla and Ghidorah and Godzilla.

Also, while for legal reasons they probably can’t co firm this, I got the impression that there might have been some nods to the Godzilla IDW comics:

In Godzilla The Half Century War, there is a long plot thread, about using signals and devices to lure monsters in and target cities. Issues 3+4 are explicitly about an evil doctor doing this.

The ending also reminded me of the ending of Rulers of earth, when Godzilla uses the spiral heat Ray pulse thing/nuclear pulse, to defeat Magita, before a slew of monsters appear and sort of bow to him.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Dr Chen and Dr Ling's mother and aunt 1961 Infant Island photo
I did catch that one of the photos of her family was specifically lists as "Infant Island."

Also, is she (and her twin sister, that completely threw me for a second when I saw that scene) intended to be related to Lin for K:SI? I seem to remember that as being, at least, a rumor, but I'm not sure. I know that Brooks has a son in the Birth of Kong (I haven't read that yet) that I think is supposed to also Lin's, yes?
MrRockett wrote:I noticed during Farmigas speech that one of the shots was the burning town shot from the teaser of G14 that was not used in the actual film and later a news glimpse of the train wreckage from 14 as well.
I thought that the shot from her speech was from the proof-of-concept teaser, but I had to wait to watch both again to be sure. Do you remember when the news footage that used the train shot was? I missed that one.
You are right in that it was in the proof of concept trailer as well, the train scene was a quick cut, you don’t really see the train just the scattered bodies but it was there.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Ghidorah chasing Emma's car was a great reference to G'98!

:: waits to get shot by firing squad ::