King of the Monsters Easter Eggs Thread [Spoilers]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: King of the Monsters Easter Eggs Thread [Spoilers]

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

In the credits, soldier characters are named after special effects artists. The ones I can remember are Sargeant Baker, Officer Tippet, and Officer Harryhausen.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

When Godzilla glows red and charges his dorsal plates, they look nearly identical to when Godzilla Earth went "burning mode" and charged his beam in CotEoB. The "electricity" wrapping around his dorsal plates is what I'm refering to.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

There were protesters holding signs that read “Destroy All Monsters”.

When Monarch ventures to Godzilla’s temple, someone says a line about how if rocks could speak, this line is lifted from GMK
Facts don't care about your feelings

AnonymousAnguirus
Ronin

Post by AnonymousAnguirus »

The scene with the underwater drones used to explore Godzilla's temple was reminiscent of Godzilla 2000 when scientists were surveying the bottom of the ocean for Orga.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Atmospheric Reentry is a reference to Gamera and Super Gyaos in Gamera: Guardian of the Universe.
GojiDog wrote:I don't know if this counts as an Easter Egg, but I got a chuckle when Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah were all listed in the cast credits as being played by HIMSELF and HERSELF.
The only way it could have been better is if it said King Ghidorah as themself instead of himself. :lol:

Added in 3 minutes 41 seconds:
G-Matt wrote:I also noticed that the cannons in Monarch's underwater base were called masers! That brought a big smile on my face. :D
Wish we got to see them used though, against maybe another underwater monster.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Fri May 31, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

MG or possible MK are hinted at in the end credits

Skull Island is becoming 'Unstable', like in the 2005 version, also in the same clipping as the above easter egg
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Devilsadvocat631
Ronin

Post by Devilsadvocat631 »

Ben Shapiro wrote:There were protesters holding signs that read “Destroy All Monsters”.
Yup that just stick out immediately

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Living Corpse wrote:Atmospheric Reentry is a reference to Gamera and Super Gyaos in Gamera: Guardian of the Universe.
Eh I think that’s a little too generic to call it a reference. That happens in a lot of films, even PR1 had something similar.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:MG or possible MK are hinted at in the end credits

Skull Island is becoming 'Unstable', like in the 2005 version, also in the same clipping as the above easter egg
Hasn't Skull Island disappeared in every incarnation?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:MG or possible MK are hinted at in the end credits

Hasn't Skull Island disappeared in every incarnation?
Not in '76 IIRC

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Atmospheric Reentry is a reference to Gamera and Super Gyaos in Gamera: Guardian of the Universe.
Eh I think that’s a little too generic to call it a reference. That happens in a lot of films, even PR1 had something similar.
Would say it more similar to PR1 than anything, both involves an giant, alien dragon grabbing and lifting the giant, blue/gray protagonist to the stratosphere.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah also funny because it did remind me of the halo jump from one in the way it was shot.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Xagzan
GPN Volunteer

Post by Xagzan »

So I know this must be old news by now, but I'm watching Terror of Mechagodzilla again and oh crap, I didn't realize they used Clair de Lune in this movie. Was that the reason for its trailer inclusion?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Tyrant28 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Would say it more similar to PR1 than anything, both involves an giant, alien dragon grabbing and lifting the giant, blue/gray protagonist to the stratosphere.
Common? I can only name 3 kaiju movies that had it happen. Gamera 1, Pacific Rim, and now KOTM2019.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Living Corpse wrote:
Tyrant28 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Eh I think that’s a little too generic to call it a reference. That happens in a lot of films, even PR1 had something similar.
Common? I can only name 3 kaiju movies that had it happen. Gamera 1, Pacific Rim, and now KOTM2019.
It happened a few times in the Godzilla comics that predated PR1. I agree it’s a callback, just not specifically to Gamera. The shot looked just as similar to the Halo Jump from G14.

In Gamera and Godzilla Legends#4, the Scene happens with the explicit intent to freeze the monster.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri May 31, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

When John Goodman said "there will never be a worse time in Washington" in Kong Skull Island, that was potentially referenced when Ghidorah and Rodan are laying absolute waste to Washington DC
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

Wasn’t the Lin family photo utilizing the faces of many the actresses who played the Shobijin in the past? I wish we had a still of it because those women looked familiar to the franchise.

The schematic for the oxygen destroyer showed the original device inside the missile if anyone didn’t catch that.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Xagzan wrote:So I know this must be old news by now, but I'm watching Terror of Mechagodzilla again and oh crap, I didn't realize they used Clair de Lune in this movie. Was that the reason for its trailer inclusion?
Most likely not. Dougherty has stated several times that he wanted this movie to feel like a "monster opera". So he wished for the music to evoke the sense of wonder and beauty of the kaiju.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

In the novelization, one of Jona's men is nicknamed "The Mountain" due to his size, a reference to Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane from GOT, who similarly serves a character played by Charles Dance.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

So I was in the minority in getting a big, stupid grin when Monarch's Ospreys were designated as Raptors?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio