King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
User avatar
gridiron_kaiju
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby gridiron_kaiju » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:31 pm

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Premise 1. It is impossible to like the feeling of your eyes straining to comprehend what's on a giant screen in front of you. This is a fact, with possible exceptions for people who suffer very poor eye health anyway or true masochists (if such a thing exists).

Premise 2. If you actually watched the movie rather than averting your eyes at regular intervals, there's no way to watch this thing without eye strain (other than the possible exceptions mentioned).

Conclusion: Therefore, it is mostly impossible to like the camera work in this movie.

Show me where I'm wrong.



Movie looked just fine to me soooo...you’re wrong.

User avatar
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: The Palace of Wisdom

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby BARAGONBREH » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:35 pm

Dino4ex wrote:Well that was a long five years. I really liked the movie although I wish I could say that I loved it. The representation of the classic monsters was great. It was such a joy to hear the classic themes and action was exciting. However, I feel as though this was bit of a missed opportunity to bring some validity to the franchise in the eyes of critics and the general audience. We know there is potential to tell a good Godzilla story with underlying themes and messages because it has been done before. Also, I'm mixed on how
Spoiler:
The oxygen destroyer was used in this movie. It just comes out of nowhere for what amounts to just an easter egg.
I appreciate this movie as a fan but it could have been so much more.


Pretty fair review. I agree that this film's feeling of wasted potential made it seem worse than it really was. In truth, it was a standard blockbuster, although the camera work was even worse than the norm there. But because all the ingredients were there for something truly special, the fact that it didn't felt like a kick to the gut.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.


gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

User avatar
Blair Phoenix
Ronin
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby Blair Phoenix » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:42 pm

BARAGONBREH wrote:Premise 1. It is impossible to like the feeling of your eyes straining to comprehend what's on a giant screen in front of you. This is a fact, with possible exceptions for people who suffer very poor eye health anyway or true masochists (if such a thing exists).

Premise 2. If you actually watched the movie rather than averting your eyes at regular intervals, there's no way to watch this thing without eye strain (other than the possible exceptions mentioned).

Conclusion: Therefore, it is mostly impossible to like the camera work in this movie.

Show me where I'm wrong.
You're wrong in that I shouldn't have to justify with factual information every time I want to say I like something. I might as well never say I like something again at that point. Who wants to have a conversation with someone and have them tell you, "You can't like the thing you like because of X. You're only claiming to like it and here's why."

As for your actual premises, I never had that feeling and I left the theater without eye strain and I didn't avert my eyes at regular intervals. But you're going to use the same argument, and we're going to get into a really really stupid circular argument, where you get to use the same argument for pretty much everything, that everything I'm saying is just a "claim" because clearly it can't be true because of X and Y reasons.

User avatar
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: The Palace of Wisdom

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby BARAGONBREH » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:42 pm

gridiron_kaiju wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
Premise 1. It is impossible to like the feeling of your eyes straining to comprehend what's on a giant screen in front of you. This is a fact, with possible exceptions for people who suffer very poor eye health anyway or true masochists (if such a thing exists).

Premise 2. If you actually watched the movie rather than averting your eyes at regular intervals, there's no way to watch this thing without eye strain (other than the possible exceptions mentioned).

Conclusion: Therefore, it is mostly impossible to like the camera work in this movie.

Show me where I'm wrong.



Movie looked just fine to me soooo...you’re wrong.


Well, I did allow for two exceptions, so that alone wouldn't necessarily disprove my argument. Is it possible you a. have poor eye health b. enjoy pain or c. kept looking away from the screen? Or are you asserting none of these apply to you, and nevertheless the movie "looked just fine"? If the latter, can I ask whether you have ever seen a movie or video game of any kind that caused any sort of visual fatigue for you?
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.


gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

User avatar
MegaEvilSaurus666
Interpol Agent
Posts: 619
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby MegaEvilSaurus666 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:43 pm

I feel like it was a bad move to have Dougherty, Shields, and to a much lesser extent, Borenstein write this. Didn't Dougherty basically throw away the original concept and start from scratch or something? If I trust anyone, it's Borenstein at this point. Dougherty and Shields wrote Krampus, which wasn't really received the best. Same basic complaints. Story, tone, etc.

Krampus reviews say some of the same general things negative reviews of this movie do. The pattern is undeniable.

User avatar
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: The Palace of Wisdom

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby BARAGONBREH » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:45 pm

Blair Phoenix wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:Premise 1. It is impossible to like the feeling of your eyes straining to comprehend what's on a giant screen in front of you. This is a fact, with possible exceptions for people who suffer very poor eye health anyway or true masochists (if such a thing exists).

Premise 2. If you actually watched the movie rather than averting your eyes at regular intervals, there's no way to watch this thing without eye strain (other than the possible exceptions mentioned).

Conclusion: Therefore, it is mostly impossible to like the camera work in this movie.

Show me where I'm wrong.
You're wrong in that I shouldn't have to justify with factual information every time I want to say I like something. I might as well never say I like something again at that point. Who wants to have a conversation with someone and have them tell you, "You can't like the thing you like because of X. You're only claiming to like it and here's why."

As for your actual premises, I never had that feeling and I left the theater without eye strain and I didn't avert my eyes at regular intervals. But you're going to use the same argument, and we're going to get into a really really stupid circular argument, where you get to use the same argument for pretty much everything, that everything I'm saying is just a "claim" because clearly it can't be true because of X and Y reasons.


The bolded part is literally how all arguments ever work. All of them. If I'm seeking to justify why I disagree with what you said, pointing out a "claim" (scare quoted for some reason) and saying "it can't be true because of X and Y reasons" is literally the only way to have an actual argument. Unless you are a complete nihilist or relativist who thinks truth doesn't exist or can't be known, in which case your issue is with arguing itself, not with me.

I'd like to ask if you've ever experienced visual fatigue while watching or playing anything on a screen before.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.


gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

User avatar
Vandarker
Interpol Agent
Posts: 513
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:15 am

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby Vandarker » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:46 pm

BARAGONBREH wrote:It is a fact people are claiming to like the movie. It is not a fact they actually like it until someone discovers a way to know the contents of a human's mind. The reason I am not giving the benefit of the doubt is because this movie's directing is eye-bleedingly poor and I don't want to insult people's intelligence by asserting they didn't notice.

LOL so that's not suppsed to be an insult on people's intelligence. Right

I accept all criticism and I understand why the film is a disappointment to a lot of people, I even sided with a lot of the fair criticisms you were making on people's reaction towards this movie, but it's pretty ridiculous to be commented on my intelligence just for the skreeonking reason that I actually enjoyed the damn movie instead of "claiming" to.
Last edited by Vandarker on Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5295
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby _JNavs_ » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:46 pm

I've got 20/20 vision, never took my eyes off the screen. Film was gorgeous.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: The Palace of Wisdom

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby BARAGONBREH » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:46 pm

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:I feel like it was a bad move to have Dougherty, Shields, and to a much lesser extent, Borenstein write this. Didn't Dougherty basically throw away the original concept and start from scratch or something? If I trust anyone, it's Borenstein at this point. Dougherty and Shields wrote Krampus, which wasn't really received the best. Same basic complaints. Story, tone, etc.

Krampus reviews say some of the same general things negative reviews of this movie do. The pattern is undeniable.


Yup. The pattern is best explained with one word: sloppiness.

Added in 1 minute 41 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:I've got 20/20 vision, never took my eyes off the screen. Film was gorgeous.


Have you ever had visual fatigue from anything on a movie/computer/television screen before?
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.


gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

User avatar
gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper
Posts: 1238
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby gottatalktothefake » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:50 pm

But seriously, after I pushed my perfect vision of what I thought the film should be out of my mind and watched the movie for what it was, my enjoyment went from a 6 to an 8. The issues I talked about are still there and noticeable, but they didn't detract from my experience nearly as much as they did before.
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

User avatar
gridiron_kaiju
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby gridiron_kaiju » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:52 pm

BARAGONBREH wrote:Well, I did allow for two exceptions

Really? That was nice of you

have poor eye health

I’m blind as a bat

b. enjoy pain

I do! Especially being kicked in the nuts

c. kept looking away from the screen?

Yep I paid $16 to see a movie only to stare at the ceiling

Or are you asserting none of these apply to you, and nevertheless the movie "looked just fine"?

Am I filling out a survey?

If the latter, can I ask whether you have ever seen a movie or video game of any kind that caused any sort of visual fatigue for you?

Are you concerned that you may or may not have an obsession with this movie in an unhealthy way?

User avatar
Godzilla2000Zero
Futurian
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:54 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:But seriously, after I pushed my perfect vision of what I thought the film should be out of my mind and watched the movie for what it was, my enjoyment went from a 6 to an 8. The issues I talked about are still there and noticeable, but they didn't detract from my experience nearly as much as they did before.

Yep pretty much happened to me as well but in the long run I think Mike should've know better about the pacing in the final battle.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

User avatar
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: The Palace of Wisdom

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby BARAGONBREH » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:55 pm

gridiron_kaiju wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:Well, I did allow for two exceptions

Really? That was nice of you

have poor eye health

I’m blind as a bat

b. enjoy pain

I do! Especially being kicked in the nuts

c. kept looking away from the screen?

Yep I paid $16 to see a movie only to stare at the ceiling

Or are you asserting none of these apply to you, and nevertheless the movie "looked just fine"?

Am I filling out a survey?

If the latter, can I ask whether you have ever seen a movie or video game of any kind that caused any sort of visual fatigue for you?

Are you concerned that you may or may not have an obsession with this movie in an unhealthy way?


Oh, you aren't interested in sincere conversation. Imagine my shock.

I'm glad you just know it was good in your own mind. Unfortunately, critics, box office numbers and word of mouth paints a different picture.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.


gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

User avatar
Blair Phoenix
Ronin
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby Blair Phoenix » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:57 pm

BARAGONBREH wrote:
The bolded part is literally how all arguments ever work. All of them. If I'm seeking to justify why I disagree with what you said, pointing out a "claim" (scare quoted for some reason) and saying "it can't be true because of X and Y reasons" is literally the only way to have an actual argument. Unless you are a complete nihilist or relativist who thinks truth doesn't exist or can't be known, your issue is with arguing itself, not with me.

I'd like to ask if you've ever experienced visual fatigue while watching or playing anything on a screen before.
I like how you completely just disregard my first paragraph. It's my main point. I DON'T WANT TO ARGUE WITH YOU. I want to say that I like something in peace without it being called a 'claim' and having to justify everything. That's all I want. I don't want people telling me what I can and can't like. I don't like being called a liar, even if just subconsciously. You can tell me I SHOULDN'T like the movie because of X reasons. That's fine. Calling it a 'claim' comes with a lot of baggage that I just very much disagree with. It's why I quoted it. Because my argument is on your usage of the word. I'm not trying to argue if the movie is good or bad. I'm saying your usage of the word "claim" is garbage, because it comes with a lot of garbage connotations.

And yes I have experienced visual fatigue, mostly after long periods of playing games. Once on an anime that had really garish color choices. Just to answer your question, because it feels rude not to.

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: キノプレックス
Contact:

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:59 pm

I wonder how this movie didn't look like ass to people. It wasn't causing me any discomfort outside of "oh god I paid for tickets for me and my brother for this movie" but the framing, blocking, colors, and zooms were all pretty bad.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

User avatar
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 pm
Location: The Palace of Wisdom

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby BARAGONBREH » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Blair Phoenix wrote:I like how you completely just disregard my first paragraph. It's my main point. I DON'T WANT TO ARGUE WITH YOU.


Okay, well arguing against your claim that my statement was insulting and that I was being pretentious is literally the only thing I'm interested in doing with you at the moment. If you prefer to just type things and express your emotions, then that concludes our interaction here.

Added in 31 seconds:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I wonder how this movie didn't look like ass to people. It wasn't causing me any discomfort outside of "oh god I paid for tickets for me and my brother for this movie" but the framing, blocking, colors, and zooms were all pretty bad.


It's just plain ol' confirmation bias.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.


gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

User avatar
Blair Phoenix
Ronin
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby Blair Phoenix » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:04 pm

Sorry, mistake
Last edited by Blair Phoenix on Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
gridiron_kaiju
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby gridiron_kaiju » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:05 pm

BARAGONBREH wrote:I'm glad you just know it was good in your own mind. Unfortunately, critics, box office numbers and word of mouth paints a different picture.


Well thankfully I’ve got a pretty good life outside the fandom so I won’t be losing any sleep at night

And my friends and family all loved the movie so I’m good with that

User avatar
Blair Phoenix
Ronin
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby Blair Phoenix » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:07 pm

BARAGONBREH wrote:Okay, well arguing against your claim that my statement was insulting and that I was being pretentious is literally the only thing I'm interested in doing with you at the moment. If you prefer to just type things and express your emotions, then that concludes our interaction here.

I am arguing that your statement was insulting and made you appear pretentious, by using the word "claim". My first paragraph, that you ignored, was an explanation why, as well as my pasta example as to why you shouldn't use the word the way you're using it.
Last edited by Blair Phoenix on Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5295
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Postby _JNavs_ » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:10 pm

As I predicted, certain users are insulting others for enjoying the film. Welcome to TK folks, where if specific people don't agree with you, you're wrong and you need to "know you're wrong".
Image
Sith Apprentice.


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gojikong 5433, Gojira2K, Huan_of_Valinor and 5 guests