Titan Design Thread: Mothra

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What Do You Think?

Love it!
70%
Hate it...
5%
Meh.
25%

Total votes: 93

Dv-218
Futurian

Re: Titan Design Thread: Mothra

Post by Dv-218 »

From what we saw of her in motion so far, it definitely seems that they nailed the graceful, peaceful and elegant aspect of her design and character- and perfectly balanced it with the new, more fighting oriented adjustments. Imo it's a pretty fitting design for her, especially with her new title as "queen of the monsters".
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

BrazilianKaiju wrote:Look at my post. Toho had already considered making Mothra with the bipedal position. Maybe they just decided to use the concept.

But I think we'll see something like this:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vsb ... 1027014934
Oh, I saw it. It's something I've been on about a bit myself since that one toy leak.

Ok . . . a more majestic take could be a slow 'unfolding' as she rises up on her hind legs and takes flight all in one graceful motion.

As long as she doesn't walk on them. Only del Toro can get away with a bipedal bug.
. . .

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Gojira-Fan wrote:I liked her better in the trailer than in the SHMA figure. However, with all this "making Mothra badass" philosophy I hope the creators of the film understand that what makes Mothra unique is her gracefullness, elegance and yes, even cuteness. These aspects are what make Mothra a stand out from other Kaiju and those reasons are why she is my favorite daikaiju. I'm hoping there are a signifigant amount of moments like the shot of Mothra's wings rising out of the ocean in the 1st trailer. Moments that really show how beautiful she is and that are breathtaking. I have faith Dougherty and co. know what makes Mothra special and will do their best to have that show in the film, but we will just have to wait and see.
I fully agree with you...

Hopefully they balance the gracefulness, elegance and "cuteness"
with Mothra also being able to activate "Bitch Mode" & lay the
smack down.

I'd actually like Mothra to be kind of "Bi-Polar" like she's beautiful
& benevolent one minute...but then becomes a raging insectoid
bitch Queen the next.

Also Mothra should be able to control all the "normal" insects on
the planet.

Like the Legion Queen & her Swarm...only on a global scale with
every insect.

That would be cool.
BARAGONBREH wrote:They will. The scene of MBB and larva Mothra staring at each other hints at that, as does the scene of whoever standing there watching her as she rises up with her god-rays. I do think there will be slightly less "cuteness" here, but slightly more majesty/beauty, which is appropriate for this series.
Good point.

"God-Rays"

HA!

"Look upon her glorious light & know she...is...MOTHRA!!!"

Oh Jesus...

I hope in future films there is a "Mothra Cult" made up of
free loving hippies.

HA!
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

BARAGONBREH wrote:She looks skreeonking awesome and anybody who disagrees is just hung up on nostalgia.
Or maybe, just maybe, some people don't like the design? How awful of them to think differently.

Mothra does look beautiful, and she does have this sense of safety.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:She looks skreeonking awesome and anybody who disagrees is just hung up on nostalgia.
Or maybe, just maybe, some people don't like the design? How awful of them to think differently.

Take a look at the comments of the people who don't like it. Their own reasoning confirms my description of why they dislike it.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

BARAGONBREH wrote:Their own reasoning confirms my description of why they dislike it.
Hey...some people need nostalgia...its like their security blanket.

Some people are literally like:

"I don't like things that are different!"

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:

Take a look at the comments of the people who don't like it. Their own reasoning confirms my description of why they dislike it.
I mean, the toy design was pretty radically different from every Mothra design before. She looked like an alien and wasn't recognizable as Mothra (which was a pretty big let down).

You can say that people who criticized the Mothra SHMA figure are just people who are so into nostalgia that they can't handle any changes to the classic design, but the whole film's appeal is based on nostalgia. What is the point of of obtaining the rights to use Godzilla and these other monsters if we aren't going to take the legacy of these films and characters into account? Why get excited about this movie if we as fans don't have any resonance with previous films? It's my opinion that if you are going to change a character so radically you either should have a good artistic reason to do it, or you might as well have the radical redesign be a new character.

I've been more optimistic about her American redesign with the footage of her in the new trailer. But as I've said before in this thread, I think it is very misguided to take out the aspects that make her unique in order to make her "badass". It seems as though they are trying to strike a balance between a design that exhibits elegance as well as coming of as threatening. So I'm definitely not as bummed out about the whole thing as when I 1st saw the design.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Gojira-Fan wrote:It's my opinion that if you are going to change a character so radically you either should have a good artistic reason to do it, or you might as well have the radical redesign be a new character.
But...it isn't radically different...

She's still a benevolent giant insect with two forms...larval & imago...

I mean...how different is she really?

Its not like we have another GINO situation here.
Gojira-Fan wrote:I've been more optimistic about her American redesign with the footage of her in the new trailer. But as I've said before in this thread, I think it is very misguided to take out the aspects that make her unique in order to make her "badass". It seems as though they are trying to strike a balance between a design that exhibits elegance as well as coming of as threatening. So I'm definitely not as bummed out about the whole thing as when I 1st saw the design.
Yeah...from what I've seen...the MonsterVerse Mothra is still pretty unique...
and depending on her "power/move" set...this maybe the most unique version
of Mothra EVER.

Well...apart from the underwater version that is.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm firmly in the camp that the Mothra redesign was
necessary for the MonsterVerse...because classic Toho Mothra would have looked
WAY out of place.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Gojira-Fan wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Or maybe, just maybe, some people don't like the design? How awful of them to think differently.

I mean, the toy design was pretty radically different from every Mothra design before. She looked like an alien and wasn't recognizable as Mothra (which was a pretty big let down).

You can say that people who criticized the Mothra SHMA figure are just people who are so into nostalgia that they can't handle any changes to the classic design, but the whole film's appeal is based on nostalgia. What is the point of of obtaining the rights to use Godzilla and these other monsters if we aren't going to take the legacy of these films and characters into account? Why get excited about this movie if we as fans don't have any resonance with previous films? It's my opinion that if you are going to change a character so radically you either should have a good artistic reason to do it, or you might as well have the radical redesign be a new character.

I've been more optimistic about her American redesign with the footage of her in the new trailer. But as I've said before in this thread, I think it is very misguided to take out the aspects that make her unique in order to make her "badass". It seems as though they are trying to strike a balance between a design that exhibits elegance as well as coming of as threatening. So I'm definitely not as bummed out about the whole thing as when I 1st saw the design.
This.

I wasn't too sure when the MonsterArts figure was reviled, but seeing her in action, even just the tiny bit, alleviated a good amount of my doubt. But when it comes to changing things too drastically and without considering the legacy and heritage of the original, I have three words: Nineteen Ninety-Eight.
Grievous wrote:
Gojira-Fan wrote:It's my opinion that if you are going to change a character so radically you either should have a good artistic reason to do it, or you might as well have the radical redesign be a new character.

You're right, it isn't too different. That's what Gojira-Fan was saying. The SH MonsterArts figure did look like it may have taken it too far, the trailer showed that they probably didn't. But even with just the figure, most were saying that they wanted to see the final product before passing judgement, because it's just not possible to get a good idea from just one static figure.
Last edited by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

The SMHA figure is radical for how different her face is, the long praying mantis legs/arms and the wings being more wide and not very long. The face is different in the trailer vs. the SMHA figure, so that is at least not as bad imo.

Of course, how close this design is to the Toho design is a matter of opinion. After seeing the new redesign on the SMHA figure I was really disappointed and worried they had botched her character. Seeing her in the trailer improved my perception of the redesign. I wouldn't say my initial backlash was as bad as the backlash to GINO, but my worry was putting in me closer to that kind of headache
Last edited by Gojira-Fan on Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Gojira-Fan wrote:The SMHA figure is radical for how different her face is, the long praying mantis legs/arms and the wings being more wide and not very long. The face is different in the trailer vs. the SMHA figure, so that is at least not as bad imo.

Of course, how close this design is to the Toho design is a matter of opinion. After seeing the new redesign on the SMHA figure I was really disappointed and worried they had botched her character. Seeing her in the trailer improved my perception of the redesign. I wouldn't say my initial backlash was as bad as the backlash to GINO, but my worry was putting in me closer to that kind of headache
That's a fair call...

And I'm not saying those kaiju fans who don't like new the design are wrong.

I guess for me from my perspective the MonsterVerse Mothra is the right
approach...and while Godzilla, Ghidorah & Rodan are basically the same
creatures they have away been...the M.U.T.Os (especially the male) kind
of set a pattern for insectoid kaiju in this universe...and I guess I'm happy
for Mothra to be adapted in that way.

I'm actually looking at it like Mothra is the opposite of the M.U.T.Os.

Like if the M.U.T.Os are disgusting, parasitic, spawning cockroaches...
then Mothra is the beautiful, colorful, peaceful Butterfly...I mean Moth.

BrazilianKaiju
Samurai

Post by BrazilianKaiju »

creatures they have away been.
In this universe, for me the "distinct" is Rodan. He is the unique that is literally the same creature we ever saw in Toho's movies.

Now we are accustomed whith the Godzilla's looks, but in 2012 when we saw the first images of the design he looked very different. The feet, the gills, the spines (more like Gino's), the posture, the scales (Godzilla had keloids...) . Edwards struggled to make godzilla look like a real animal, not a man in a monster suit.

Ghidorah also suffered transformations, although in a more subtle way. Its wings have been adapted to a more familiar shape (the wings of a bat). His feet are now digitigrade.

Rodan had no change. They did nothing to bring his appearance to something more "natural", "realistic", or animal like. Rodan is a pterosaur that has characteristics of birds of prey. His talons, his head, even his posture (Rodan never walked walked on all fours legs).

When it was announced that Rodan would be in the second film, I imagined he would look something like this:

An adaptation of the original monster to the real world, with a design based on a real pterosaur. But they used the literal concept of Rodan.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About mothra, as I said earlier, it seems more like an amalgamation of old designs and conceptsarts with real moths.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

BrazilianKaiju wrote:
creatures they have away been.
In this universe, for me the "distinct" is Rodan. He is the unique that is literally the same creature we ever saw in Toho's movies.

Now we are accustomed whith the Godzilla's looks, but in 2012 when we saw the first images of the design he looked very different. The feet, the gills, the spines (more like Gino's), the posture, the scales (Godzilla had keloids...) . Edwards struggled to make godzilla look like a real animal, not a man in a monster suit.

Ghidorah also suffered transformations, although in a more subtle way. Its wings have been adapted to a more familiar shape (the wings of a bat). His feet are now digitigrade.

Rodan had no change. They did nothing to bring his appearance to something more "natural", "realistic", or animal like. Rodan is a pterosaur that has characteristics of birds of prey. His talons, his head, even his posture (Rodan never walked walked on all fours legs).

When it was announced that Rodan would be in the second film, I imagined he would look something like this:

An adaptation of the original monster to the real world, with a design based on a real pterosaur. But they used the literal concept of Rodan.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About mothra, as I said earlier, it seems more like an amalgamation of old designs and conceptsarts with real moths.
Geez, now that we know how the official design looks like, that thing seems even uglier than it was before. Glad they didn't do any major changes to Rodan- the little updates to make him look more natural work perfectly with his classic design. Any attemt to make him more like a real pterosaur or this thing would have botched him from his essential Rodan-ess- especially since real pterosaurs are the absolute opposite of Rodan :lol:

Regarding Mothra, I admit that I was a little conflicted about the design when they revealed the figure, but the trailer completely won me over. Aside from the fact that her design combines power with beauty and elegancy in a great way, i'm glad they kept her fuzz and classic face.

A Cybernetic Possum
GPN Volunteer

Post by A Cybernetic Possum »

I was iffy on it at first, but I've come to really dig the new hornet/mantis/moth design. Kind of gives me a cicada killer vibe now, and cicada killers are the best

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Yeah, I'm not sure what SHMA did wrong but she looks great in the trailer
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?