Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Postby Ivo-goji » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:31 pm

HannibalBarca wrote:"Deep ocean trenches." Boom, done. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And that sounds perfectly boring.

Here's hoping GvsK explores the inner world and gives us stuff we can actually see characters interacting with.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

HannibalBarca
Futurian

Postby HannibalBarca » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:34 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:
HannibalBarca wrote:"Deep ocean trenches." Boom, done. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Here's hoping GvsK explores the inner world and gives us stuff we can actually see characters interacting with.

There are definitely ways to make that interesting (as we saw in KOTM; there's no functional difference between Atlantis or Seatopia or whatever being Hollow Earth as opposed to just a Lost Ocean City) without having to upend basic geology.

Might make the budget run a little higher though...
In my opinion, of course.

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:42 pm

HannibalBarca wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:
HannibalBarca wrote:Really wish that they could have come up with something better than "Hollow Earth" but obviously they've written themselves into a corner at this point.

Can you think of anything better? It's one of the most interesting ideas that's ever been done with the kaiju. It makes an abundant amount of sense within the back drop of similar lost world stories that Kong and Godzilla take their inspiration from.

"Deep ocean trenches." Boom, done. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

on a related note, there didn't need to be seventeen other kaij---err, titans. At least not all introduced at once.

That's not even better, it's basically the same thing

Hokmuto
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Hokmuto » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:49 pm

HannibalBarca wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:

There are definitely ways to make that interesting (as we saw in KOTM; there's no functional difference between Atlantis or Seatopia or whatever being Hollow Earth as opposed to just a Lost Ocean City) without having to upend basic geology.

They are already breaking the basic, fundamental laws of physics, so who cares if they break a fundamental fact from geology.
Last edited by Hokmuto on Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

HannibalBarca
Futurian

Postby HannibalBarca » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:44 pm

Hokmuto wrote:
HannibalBarca wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:And that sounds perfectly boring.

They are already breaking the basic, fundamental laws of physics, so who cares if they break a fundamental fact from geology.

I'll concede that, I guess, but "there are vast unexplored ocean trenches" is a far cry from "the earth is hollow" in my book. I dunno, whatever. File it in the same drawer as KOTM's Skull Island location making no sense.
In my opinion, of course.

GoWhaleTours
Interpol Agent

Postby GoWhaleTours » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:55 pm

I don’t think the hollow earth theory means the whole earth is hollow. I think it just means there’s vast underground caverns and stuff.
anyway, yeah, macaroni.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:58 pm

GoWhaleTours wrote:I don’t think the hollow earth theory means the whole earth is hollow. I think it just means there’s vast underground caverns and stuff.

This.

They probably shouldn't give Brook's theory the same name as an actual now defunct theory that the whole Earth is hollow. Brooks believed there is pockets and Randa gained interest in him because he figured that's where monsters would be hiding.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:18 pm

The geysers/waterfalls of lava in the lair scene made me think there's somekind of honey comb of structures within the planet's core that the kaiju have dug out over the eons. G14 suggested the kaiju originated on the surface when the planet was more radioactive, and migrated inward when the radiation began to die down, at which point they perhaps formed the inner world.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Hokmuto
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Hokmuto » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:The geysers/waterfalls of lava in the lair scene made me think there's somekind of honey comb of structures within the planet's core that the kaiju have dug out over the eons. G14 suggested the kaiju originated on the surface when the planet was more radioactive, and migrated inward when the radiation began to die down, at which point they perhaps formed the inner world.

Things like these make me think whether the whole Hollow Earth Theory and the Monsterverse was planned from the start or if they just went with it.
Long Live The King

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:33 pm

Hokmuto wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:The geysers/waterfalls of lava in the lair scene made me think there's somekind of honey comb of structures within the planet's core that the kaiju have dug out over the eons. G14 suggested the kaiju originated on the surface when the planet was more radioactive, and migrated inward when the radiation began to die down, at which point they perhaps formed the inner world.

Things like these make me think whether the whole Hollow Earth Theory and the Monsterverse was planned from the start or if they just went with it.

G2014 itself didn't touch much on it but the marketing sure as hell did.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:54 pm

Hokmuto wrote:

It was a thing in Awakening. We see Shinomura first emerge in a spacious cavern surrounded by magma that looks extremely similar to the lair scene in KotM, just without the ancient architecture.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:03 pm

GoWhaleTours wrote:I don’t think the hollow earth theory means the whole earth is hollow. I think it just means there’s vast underground caverns and stuff.

I think there’s a line in the novel to that effect; that the Monsterverse Earth is a “hybrid model” between old hollow Earth theories and modern geology, with basic geology mostly intact (plate tectonics, etc) but that there are massive underground caverns in some areas big enough to support Titan ecosystems or something like that
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper

Postby gottatalktothefake » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:33 pm

Theory time

You know how they said Skull Island was becoming unstable? Remember what happened to the Skull Islands of 33 and 05? Sunk by earthquakes

The same thing could be happening again
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

Hokmuto
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Hokmuto » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:36 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:Theory time

You know how they said Skull Island was becoming unstable? Remember what happened to the Skull Islands of 33 and 05? Sunk by earthquakes

If the Titans were migrating out of Skull Island, that would make sense, but rather they're migrating towards it. Sounds like a good theory though.
Long Live The King

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:42 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:Theory time

It's probably sinking into the Hollow Earth.
Resized Image

Solaris667
Ronin

Postby Solaris667 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:57 pm

gottatalktothefake wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:I get what Ryguy is saying. I also don't want a team up. Maybe he thinks its cliche because pretty much everyone around here the last couple years has been predicting a team up. And on social media too. It just seems since the fans are so convinced of it and say it so much the segment of the fandom that don't want it are pushing back?

I just want an entertaining and engaging movie. I don't want a team up but I won't throw a fit if there is one.

I'll be fine as long as Godzilla isn't antagonistic and stays consistent as a protector of sorts.

After watching KoTM, I feel like the prospect of a villainous Godzilla in GvK has been thrown into the gutter. If we can draw material from the end credits, Godzilla will probably stay as a defender of Earth; he's already shown benevolence through the news clippings anyway, for Godzilla basically prevents other titans from attacking cities. In my opinion, Godzilla vs. Kong is setting up a brawl between two "hero" titans.

Also, people keep forgetting that neither Godzilla or Kong have to be villainous in order for them to fight. The titans, after being largely pushed out of human settlements by Godzilla after KoTM, seem to be moving towards Skull Island. Furthermore. Ghidorah's alpha call awoke the Skullcrawlers during the events of KoTM... so if we put two and two together, I expect Godzilla and King Kong to be fighting over Skull Island. King Kong is not going to be happy about a couple of monsters moving into his island like they own the place, while Godzilla is going to march over to Skull Island and be rather ticked off at another alpha opposing his global order. Godzilla and Kong will fight and their conflict will spill globally.

Hokmuto
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Hokmuto » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:42 pm

I think the “for now” line is not about Godzilla becoming evil, but rather plants the seed for what humans will think of Godzilla. After all, there is a human conspiracy in GvK that is against them.
Long Live The King

gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper

Postby gottatalktothefake » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:03 pm

^I hope you two are right
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

Hokmuto
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Hokmuto » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:39 pm

It would make much more sense if MechaG is not in Godzilla vs Kong and is rather a tease to a potential Godzilla 3 or something. They clearly emphasized the Ghidorah head in the end credits, so it's almost like it's forcefully supposed to have a part in GvK.

The newspaper clippings are fast and quick and therefore shouldn't be paid too much attention to unless you really analyze it by recording it, reading fast etc. So if the newspaper clippings is for post-2020 and there never is a Monsterverse past 2020, then the blow isn't really all too big compared the utter embarrassment they would have if the end credits stinger never comes to fruition. It just doesn't make sense if the end credits is for the up-in-the-air, not greenlit Godzilla 3, but the quick newspaper clippings (apart from Titans going to Skull Island) is for GvK.

Unless literally MechaG AND the Ghidorah hybrid are in GvK which I wouldn't like at all; too convoluted unless it's executed amazingly. I don't know; just thinking out loud.
Last edited by Hokmuto on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The King

Gojira2K
Futurian

Postby Gojira2K » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:53 pm

Hokmuto wrote:It would make much more sense if MechaG is not in Godzilla vs Kong and is rather a tease to a potential Godzilla 3 or something. They clearly emphasized the Ghidorah head in the end credits, so it's almost like it's forcefully supposed to have a part in the GvK.

The newspaper clippings are fast and quick and therefore shouldn't be paid too much attention to unless you really analyze it by recording it, reading fast etc. So if the newspaper clippings is for post-2020 and there never is a Monsterverse past 2020, then the blow isn't really all to big compared the utter embarrassment they would have if the end credits stinger never comes to fruition. It just doesn't make sense if the end credits is for the up-in-the-air, not greenlit Godzilla 3, but the quick newspaper clippings (apart from Titans going to Skull Island) is for GvK.

Unless literally MechaG AND the Ghidorah hybrid are in GvK which I wouldn't like at all; too convoluted unless it's executed amazingly. I don't know; just thinking out loud.

Yeah, I do think that Ghidorah will have some role in GvK. I'd love him to come back fully regenrated, because I would love to see Kong fight him. I think that could be interesting to see. Maybe we could get him in the daytime and really show off his gold color scheme.

If they do this though, I really hope it is not spoiled in trailers or anything like that. I'd love for it to be a complete surprise for me when I watch it in theaters.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?

Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there

TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:

Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*

*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”