Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Locked
User avatar
PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6071
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:59 am
Contact:

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

LindenHS wrote:Where the **** in MA are you that it’s 15$ a ticket??
Unless you go to a Dine-In Theater or a flipping 5-Star private booth theater, that price is bull.

I visit the Cape and it’s not even that costly there...
I live like a half hour from the cape and before things went tits up tickets at my local AMC run like $14 and change plus tax. A theater I worked at was considered cheap when our tickets were $11 and change plus tax. Tickets in Boston can also be BIG dumb. 3D tickets at the theater I worked at were like $14 or something like that. It's always kind just been the norm around here lol
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

User avatar
Omegazilla
Interpol Agent
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:30 am

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Omegazilla »

Posting this here because there really isn't anywhere else to post this. But I'm extremely grateful for the MonsterVerse, it's given me 3 movies that I really love so far and has given me Godzilla movies that my family actually likes and watch with me on occasion. I mean, they could not tolerate any Godzilla movies before these two came out, I even tried Shin because it has mainstream appeal and they laughed at Godzilla the whole time and were bored to tears during the human segments.

Now I have Godzilla movies that not only do they like, but everyone in my family but my father sang their praises coming out of the theatre. My sister who hates this genre came out of KoTM and was super hyped and wouldn't stop telling me how amazing it was. So these movies has given my family an understanding of why I love this genre so much, and I couldn't be more grateful.
I am not a gigantic fan of the Monsterverse but I am glad you have had that experience. I don't hate the MV or anything, it just isn't particularly on my personal list of favorites. I wish my family had the same experience as yours but on my end they didn't really change their views on Godzilla much.

Anyways, is there any confirmation on the Nozuki and Warbat factor? Like is it known if they are the same creature that just got a new paint job, or a separate member of the same species?

User avatar
Thegarbagemonster
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:16 am
Location: England in a junk yard

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Posting this here because there really isn't anywhere else to post this. But I'm extremely grateful for the MonsterVerse, it's given me 3 movies that I really love so far and has given me Godzilla movies that my family actually likes and watch with me on occasion. I mean, they could not tolerate any Godzilla movies before these two came out, I even tried Shin because it has mainstream appeal and they laughed at Godzilla the whole time and were bored to tears during the human segments.

Now I have Godzilla movies that not only do they like, but everyone in my family but my father sang their praises coming out of the theatre. My sister who hates this genre came out of KoTM and was super hyped and wouldn't stop telling me how amazing it was. So these movies has given my family an understanding of why I love this genre so much, and I couldn't be more grateful.
I have a similar experience with some friends. The MV has ignited interests in Godzilla in my local circle, whereas before none of them had really experienced Godzilla apart from the PS games. And my Russian friend thought Godzilla was ridiculous before seeing G14, even Shin Godzilla. But the power that Godzilla displays in the MV and the character that the monsters show has turned everything around for them, and now they actually enjoy Godzilla as a whole, including the most ridiculous films like All Monsters Attack.
Image

User avatar
plasmabeam
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by plasmabeam »

Out of curiosity, do the people who dislike the Legendary Monsterverse actually prefer the cheesy/campy rubber suit eras and the terrible CGI Millennium era? I can’t seem to wrap my head around anyone who insults the Monsterverse but then prefers the old era in general and across the board. I guess to each their own.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations
Posts: 2594
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Chris55 »

plasmabeam wrote:Out of curiosity, do the people who dislike the Legendary Monsterverse actually prefer the cheesy/campy rubber suit eras and the terrible CGI Millennium era? I can’t seem to wrap my head around anyone who insults the Monsterverse but then prefers the old era in general and across the board. I guess to each their own.
I've never considered the rubber suits to be "cheesy/campy". To me, the Showa era is home. Nothing against any of the other series, I love them all in different ways but Showa is just so awesome for me. It's the birth of it all you know?
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

User avatar
plasmabeam
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by plasmabeam »

Chris55 wrote:
plasmabeam wrote:Out of curiosity, do the people who dislike the Legendary Monsterverse actually prefer the cheesy/campy rubber suit eras and the terrible CGI Millennium era? I can’t seem to wrap my head around anyone who insults the Monsterverse but then prefers the old era in general and across the board. I guess to each their own.
I've never considered the rubber suits to be "cheesy/campy". To me, the Showa era is home. Nothing against any of the other series, I love them all in different ways but Showa is just so awesome for me. It's the birth of it all you know?
I can respect and embrace that. It’s more the odd pitting of one against the other that I could never understand. I accept each era for what it is, but it seems some people who have a strong love for Showa etc but a hate-on for Legendary perplex me.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations
Posts: 2594
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Chris55 »

plasmabeam wrote:
Chris55 wrote:
plasmabeam wrote:Out of curiosity, do the people who dislike the Legendary Monsterverse actually prefer the cheesy/campy rubber suit eras and the terrible CGI Millennium era? I can’t seem to wrap my head around anyone who insults the Monsterverse but then prefers the old era in general and across the board. I guess to each their own.
I've never considered the rubber suits to be "cheesy/campy". To me, the Showa era is home. Nothing against any of the other series, I love them all in different ways but Showa is just so awesome for me. It's the birth of it all you know?
I can respect and embrace that. It’s more the odd pitting of one against the other that I could never understand. I accept each era for what it is, but it seems some people who have a strong love for Showa etc but a hate-on for Legendary perplex me.
Yeah I don't engage in what movie is better and get all upset when someone doesn't like what I like. That's super boring. People take all sorts of meanings out of these films and try to beat people over the head with their interpretations. I don't bother with those discussions.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

User avatar
Gigantis
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7205
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Gigantis »

plasmabeam wrote:Out of curiosity, do the people who dislike the Legendary Monsterverse actually prefer the cheesy/campy rubber suit eras and the terrible CGI Millennium era?
I enjoy both Godzilla 2000 and GMK over all the MonsterVerse films but even i gotta admit, it's CGI absolutely sucks. :lol: I give it a pass because it was the late 90's/early 00's and stuff wasn't finalized yet. This isn't pooping on the MV though because it looks pretty damn good.

I enjoy both those films more because i think their human cast is better than the MV ones plus better stories that go along with it. I will say though that KOTM, mediocre as it, still is better than quite a few Showa era movies (like vs. Gigan and vs. Megalon) and even though i hate G14 it's still better than the lowest films of this franchise, City on the Edge of Batttle.
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

User avatar
plasmabeam
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by plasmabeam »

My rule is if it’s past 1993, there’s no excuse for bad CGI. If Jurassic Park can still wow me, there’s no reason for me to cringe at CGI ten plus years later.

User avatar
Gigantis
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7205
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Gigantis »

plasmabeam wrote:My rule is if it’s past 1993, there’s no excuse for bad CGI. If Jurassic Park can still wow me, there’s no reason for me to cringe at CGI ten plus years later.
Yeah but you gotta remember Toho wasn't working with budgets nearly as high as a huge summer blockbuster like Jurassic. Honestly most 90's era CG from Japan sucked anyway, nothing special about the Godzilla films.
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

User avatar
Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4518
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Terasawa »

plasmabeam wrote:Out of curiosity, do the people who dislike the Legendary Monsterverse actually prefer the cheesy/campy rubber suit eras and the terrible CGI Millennium era? I can’t seem to wrap my head around anyone who insults the Monsterverse but then prefers the old era in general and across the board. I guess to each their own.
plasmabeam wrote:I can respect and embrace that. It’s more the odd pitting of one against the other that I could never understand. I accept each era for what it is, but it seems some people who have a strong love for Showa etc but a hate-on for Legendary perplex me.
How do you reconcile these statements?

Anyway, are you talking about the movies or specifically the special effects?

The Monsterverse movies have what I'd consider more photorealistic special effects (in general), but is that always the goal of all films? I think the Toho films carved out a niche among genre movies when they accepted that they weren't necessarily striving for realism so much as a certain visual style. So in that regard it's not really fair to say the modern Monsterverse special effects are "better". To determine that you'd have to weigh factors such as goal, purpose, effectiveness, creativity, execution... The list goes on. And that's to say nothing of artistry.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

User avatar
plasmabeam
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by plasmabeam »

Terasawa wrote:
plasmabeam wrote:Out of curiosity, do the people who dislike the Legendary Monsterverse actually prefer the cheesy/campy rubber suit eras and the terrible CGI Millennium era? I can’t seem to wrap my head around anyone who insults the Monsterverse but then prefers the old era in general and across the board. I guess to each their own.
plasmabeam wrote:I can respect and embrace that. It’s more the odd pitting of one against the other that I could never understand. I accept each era for what it is, but it seems some people who have a strong love for Showa etc but a hate-on for Legendary perplex me.
How do you reconcile these statements?

Anyway, are you talking about the movies or specifically the special effects?

The Monsterverse movies have what I'd consider more photorealistic special effects (in general), but is that always the goal of all films? I think the Toho films carved out a niche among genre movies when they accepted that they weren't necessarily striving for realism so much as a certain visual style. So in that regard it's not really fair to say the modern Monsterverse special effects are "better". To determine that you'd have to weigh factors such as goal, purpose, effectiveness, creativity, execution... The list goes on. And that's to say nothing of artistry.
Simple. I accept the early era for what it was, and it was those elements. I still loved and love Godzilla.

And yes, we can actually say “Monsterverse special effects are *better*” because they are. Technology has allowed that to be the case. I believe we’ve progressed.

User avatar
Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4518
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Terasawa »

Never mind.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Justiriser
Posts: 15833
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't see how the MonsterVerse effects are better when the older films are vying for completely different perceptions and goals.
Image

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8587
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Godzilla21 »

Even as a kid I knew the Godzilla effects were "cheesy". Everyone would go out of their way to make fun of them. Some of my fondest memories were watching them with my grandpa even though he continually mocked them as silly. Still didnt take away my love for the series.

I think back in the day if your movie wasn't stop motion it was considered inferior by some. Harryhausen hated Godzilla. I think when comparing stop motion vs suitmation a case could be made that stop motion was superior. Showa era effects weren't for everyone. The MV effects though are basically on par with their peers. Few walk into G14 saying "oh man those effects are crap" but more would watch a Showa era film and say "thats crap!". I disagree with that but its just the reality. The MV effects are better but I'd still watch almost every Showa era film ahead of them
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Jaqua92
Samurai
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:45 am

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Jaqua92 »

miguelnuva wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Posting this here because there really isn't anywhere else to post this. But I'm extremely grateful for the MonsterVerse, it's given me 3 movies that I really love so far and has given me Godzilla movies that my family actually likes and watch with me on occasion. I mean, they could not tolerate any Godzilla movies before these two came out, I even tried Shin because it has mainstream appeal and they laughed at Godzilla the whole time and were bored to tears during the human segments.

Now I have Godzilla movies that not only do they like, but everyone in my family but my father sang their praises coming out of the theatre. My sister who hates this genre came out of KoTM and was super hyped and wouldn't stop telling me how amazing it was. So these movies has given my family an understanding of why I love this genre so much, and I couldn't be more grateful.
Shin is not mainstream in the slightness I would argue but this happen to me as well. My family can stomach the old movies every now and then even though to them their comedies, they like the Monsterverse films and Shin is collecting dust at my house.
You mean they are not comedies? I mean, I have been a godzilla fan since I was a child, I know they aren't comedies, but I always thought they were deliberately campy, funny, and self aware in regards to their quality. Like mainstream high quality sci-fi TV films. Prior to legendary and 98, Godzilla is a pop culture icon from a goofy franchise. And I love it.

Hell, 1990's Godzilla vs Ghidorah is beloved by the fans, but it's wonderfully terrible. There is a Chase sequence where the cyborg man is chasing a car and it's HILARIOUS. It's terrible. And it's so clearly aware of how stupidly goofy what we are seeing on is.

We just happen to enjoy and appreciate the camp the mainstream audience finds insufferable. But they aren't wrong. These toho movies are indeed dumb. But there's a wonderful art, fun and storytelling quality to their dumbness that we as G fans love.

Added in 4 minutes 5 seconds:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote: $15 per person if it's two people, which a lot of households have!
That's the price of a 3D ticket at my work. Definitely overpriced.
Movie tickets are $15 regularly across MA, honestly can't say I feel bad for anyone paying those prices anywhere else in the country. Wanna go to IMAX? $20 per person.
Repping MA! Hell yeah! We haven't had movie tickets below 11 in over 10 years. $9 for a movie ticket my ass. That's what they get for consolidation as a non-bowwston resi.

User avatar
plasmabeam
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by plasmabeam »

UltramanGoji wrote:I don't see how the MonsterVerse effects are better when the older films are vying for completely different perceptions and goals.
Huh? The vying for different perceptions and goals (not even sure what that means) has absolutely nothing to do with the hard facts of the CGI of this decade looking better than the rubber suit and effects of the early era. It’s definitely not an insult. It’s just a fact of technological progress.

The effects back then were fantastic for that era, but they’re so much better now. It’s kind of moot.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Justiriser
Posts: 15833
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by UltramanGoji »

But it’s not “hard facts” if it’s a subjective statement like “looks better.” You’ve not provided what objective criteria makes the computer graphics better, you’re just conflating your subjective opinion with objective vocabulary.

Re: vying for different perceptions, the original films were not occupied with looking realistic or giving the monsters physics and movement that made them look like real creatures. To say the Legendary films are better in this way is inaccurate and false, because it’s using criteria for one that isn’t being thought about with the other. It’s akin to saying Metallica’s music is better than Pink Floyd’s because of the advancement of the rock genre. The two bands are trying to present two completely different perceptions of their work. It’s a creation of conflict where there isn’t any.
Image

User avatar
Omegazilla
Interpol Agent
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:30 am

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Omegazilla »

plasmabeam wrote:Out of curiosity, do the people who dislike the Legendary Monsterverse actually prefer the cheesy/campy rubber suit eras and the terrible CGI Millennium era? I can’t seem to wrap my head around anyone who insults the Monsterverse but then prefers the old era in general and across the board. I guess to each their own.
I wouldn't say I "dislike" the MV but I would say I prefer the "suit" eras so far. The special effects achieved with having a relatively small amount of resources to work with is a major factor. The suit vs CG argument for me is irrelevant because I believe the best results are achieved with a hybrid. I see it as more of the western vs eastern style. Godzilla, being a creation of Japan is always going to be better coming from that country rather than translated to western studios. That doesn't mean that western made Godzillas are bad, it is just that they aren't congruent with the spirit of Godzilla that I am accustomed to and do it in a different style and I prefer the eastern style because that's how it has be done. I still watch G14 and even *gasp* KoTM because it is different and I just don't like monotony.

User avatar
plasmabeam
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by plasmabeam »

I’m just going to have to respectfully agree to disagree. I definitely prefer Legendary’s effects to any other era’s and feel they are so much better aesthetically.

Locked