Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
keizerkaiju
Monarch Researcher

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Rumor Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by keizerkaiju »

Shadowfyre wrote:The fact that there are even people talking about this movie going to HBO completely ensures I will never ever ever take anyone's "movie knowledge" or how any of this stuff works seriously. Come on. This is straight up batshit -------- if you think thismovie is going to HBO.
Ok just to clear up some things, I didn't really really mean it as in, "I'm an expert" (which I'm not, I'm just talking out of my ass), or that I feel it's *really* happening.
Just tossing some nonsense to the wall.....you know, the same way people have been doing by arguing "Warner's not promoting it because they don't want to spend more in their 200 million movie". :lol: And I was like "sure, why promote it, may as well toss it into HBO Max".
That's it, there's no more to it, I didn't mean for people to take it literally. Thanks for the R-word though, I'm sure you're a movie genius.

We could use something soon, Warner, if only to stop discussing nonsense.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

keizerkaiju wrote:
Shadowfyre wrote:The fact that there are even people talking about this movie going to HBO completely ensures I will never ever ever take anyone's "movie knowledge" or how any of this stuff works seriously. Come on. This is straight up batshit -------- if you think thismovie is going to HBO.
Ok just to clear up some things, I didn't really really mean it as in, "I'm an expert" (which I'm not, I'm just talking out of my ass), or that I feel it's *really* happening.
Just tossing some nonsense to the wall.....you know, the same way people have been doing by arguing "Warner's not promoting it because they don't want to spend more in their 200 million movie". :lol: And I was like "sure, why promote it, may as well toss it into HBO Max".
That's it, there's no more to it, I didn't mean for people to take it literally. Thanks for the R-word though, I'm sure you're a movie genius.

We could use something soon, Warner, if only to stop discussing nonsense.
I wasn't really saying that's exactly what was happening either but ok.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Some of you are taking this awfully personal.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

An hour is a long time. I imagine they'll air a general trailer that will be released the same day (or slightly before), some exclusive footage and then do some interviews. Glad this nightmare is over.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I'm hearing more rumors of Godzilla becoming the villain and I'm gonna be pretty mad if he does.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I'm hearing more rumors of Godzilla becoming the villain and I'm gonna be pretty mad if he does.
Why? Godzilla has been a villain plenty of times, and in the context of the Monsterverse it would make sense. Could also fix some issues I have with KOTM.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:I'm hearing more rumors of Godzilla becoming the villain and I'm gonna be pretty mad if he does.
Why? Godzilla has been a villain plenty of times, and in the context of the Monsterverse it would make sense. Could also fix some issues I have with KOTM.
Because he needs at least one movie to change. Him being a villian makes sense if one of the leaks is actually true.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

We'll know a couple days before CCXP if a trailer is coming due to whether or not they release still images and start up their Monarch viral marketing. They're not just gonna release a trailer without anything else at all

Added in 2 minutes 30 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
I mean, it's certainly plausible to make him more villainous in the Monsterverse but there's far more evidence of that being forced than a natural progression of the character. The big guy is literally protecting cities from other Titans...

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

IDK if it's just me, but the title makes it seem like Godzilla is the good guy?

It's conflicting, because Kong is clearly the underdog, it's been pointed out by people who work on the film, but then the title isn't Kong vs Godzilla, it's Godzilla vs Kong. Usually- not always- the good guy or shorter name goes first, and Godzilla doesn't have the shortest name. It makes it seem like it's Godzilla setting out to take down Kong, not the other way around, if that makes sense?

Also, on the banner designs we've seen, it's Kong striking Godzilla down in a very villainous looking way, while Godzilla looks up at him.
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

I'd love it if they made Kong to be the more villainous one - it's something people wouldn't expect and would be different. However, given what very little we know, Skarsgard's character seems to be the lead and he has a storyline with Kong so I find it incredibly unlikely

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Heroic Godzilla was one of the best parts of KOTM in my opinion. Shin Godzilla and the anime trilogy featured a more villainous Godzilla, and Toho has seemed to favor using a more destructive Godzilla since 1984, even when he acted as an anti-hero, which they will probably continue to do.

Really, this is the first truly heroic Godzilla we’ve had since the 70’s, and I don’t understand why some people seem so intent on taking that away from us when they can get their more destructive Godzilla fix in practically any other modern piece of Godzilla related media. I mean, I favor Godzilla as a hero, but I don’t go around pushing for Shin Godzilla to suddenly do a heroic 180 in a sequel, nor do I want it.

Plus, keeping Godzilla as a hero would be something different, since he was the antagonist in the original Kong vs Godzilla. It would also break the tired “mammal is good, reptile is evil” trope.
Last edited by JesstrK on Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:An hour is a long time. I imagine they'll air a general trailer that will be released the same day (or slightly before), some exclusive footage and then do some interviews. Glad this nightmare is over.
An hour is enough time for 2 movies: Wonder Woman 1984 and Birds of Prey, which are confirmed. Enough time to showcase footage, host panels, Q&As, and interviews for both movies.

Temper your expectations about the trailer for this film coming out on that day.
Yooo 8-)

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I still think the trailer has a shot at being released this weekend at Tokyo Comic Con. Honestly don’t care though.. it’ll release when it releases.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Thegarbagemonster wrote:it's Godzilla vs Kong. Usually- not always- the good guy or shorter name goes first, and Godzilla doesn't have the shortest name. It makes it seem like it's Godzilla setting out to take down Kong, not the other way around, if that makes sense?
The title is in alphabetical order. "G" before "K".
Aliens vs Predator. "A" before "P".
Freddy vs Jason. "F" before "J".

In that last film wasnt Freddy the true villain and is defeated at the end?
Last edited by The Octopus on Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nani
Interpol Agent

Post by Nani »

JGAR wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:An hour is a long time. I imagine they'll air a general trailer that will be released the same day (or slightly before), some exclusive footage and then do some interviews. Glad this nightmare is over.
An hour is enough time for 2 movies: Wonder Woman 1984 and Birds of Prey, which are confirmed. Enough time to showcase footage, host panels, Q&As, and interviews for both movies.

Temper your expectations about the trailer for this film coming out on that day.
But thing is, Wonder Woman has its own 60 m panel separate from the WB panel though. All we know abut the WB panel is it’ll showcase 2020 films.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
Thegarbagemonster wrote:it's Godzilla vs Kong. Usually- not always- the good guy or shorter name goes first, and Godzilla doesn't have the shortest name. It makes it seem like it's Godzilla setting out to take down Kong, not the other way around, if that makes sense?
The title is in alphabetical order. "G" before "K".
Aliens vs Predator. "A" before "P".
Freddy vs Jason. "F" before "J".

In that last film wasnt Freddy the true villain and is defeated at the end?
Oh, you have a point there. I wasn't trying to say that it's the case every time, though, it's just a trend I noticed. I hadn't considered the alphabetical order at all, though.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I read that Godzilla might be more VILLAINOUS, which doesn't necessarily make him a villain. Especially if he's portrayed as this alpha who goes around putting other monsters in check. That kind of action likely leads to lots of dead people, which would make him seem like he's a villlain to the eyes of people, when he's actually a bit amoral. I'm not a fan of him swinging either way, I've always enjoyed him being a force of nature who's actions just happen to destroy. I don't mind them showing him taking a bit of a careless term, and showcasing the damage he does. One thing I wish the previous two films showed more of (Gareth did a solid job of this at times) is showing the collateral damage that Godzilla causes, simply by showing up.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

keizerkaiju wrote:
Sonic wrote:
keizerkaiju wrote:
Dude. May as well go the Cloverfield Paradox route: cancel the theatrical release and just dump it on HBO Max or something.
Not investing on it because they're convinced it'll flop isn't gonna save them of any embarrassment.
ha ha ha. this is absolutely ludicrous.
What is ludicrous exactly? :mrgreen: My over-the-top post about how Warner could just drop the movie on streaming if they aren't willing to invest on it? I mean, because it totally makes sense to invest 200+ million to make a movie and then not promote it because sunken cost fallacy. :roll: :lol:
two of the biggest pop icons ever on the same screen.... stop. just stop. it will be released at the movies. hahahahaha I can't stop laughing. :huge: :lol:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Sonic wrote:
keizerkaiju wrote:
Sonic wrote: ha ha ha. this is absolutely ludicrous.
What is ludicrous exactly? :mrgreen: My over-the-top post about how Warner could just drop the movie on streaming if they aren't willing to invest on it? I mean, because it totally makes sense to invest 200+ million to make a movie and then not promote it because sunken cost fallacy. :roll: :lol:
two of the biggest pop icons ever on the same screen.... stop. just stop. it will be released at the movies. hahahahaha I can't stop laughing. :huge: :lol:
I think you missed the part where he said it was over the top. A.K.A, a joke.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Actually is Rodan even having a big role in this film? I haven't seen one leak that made him do anything noteworthy.