Potential Godzilla 2 Controversy?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What's Your Views On This?

I'm disappointed and do not agree with it.
14%
It's fine, doesn't bother me.
86%

Total votes: 51

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Re: Potential Godzilla 2 Controversy?

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

Maritonic wrote:Everyone rushing to defend, or attack, or worry, I think should take a moment.
I think worrying is understandable. I agree with you on the attack or defend mentality, but worrying, while not helpful, is certainly understandable given how easily it could go wrong.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

BlacktimusPrime wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Everyone rushing to defend, or attack, or worry, I think should take a moment.
I think worrying is understandable. I agree with you on the attack or defend mentality, but worrying, while not helpful, is certainly understandable given how easily it could go wrong.
I, personally, don't think so. I remember worrying about all the things I heard for Shin, and I absolutely loved it because it was executed well (in my opinion). Ideas can sound weird, bad, whatever on paper, but can absolutely executed well. If you told me that they were going to use the bones of Godzilla to create a new Mechagodzilla years before Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla came out I would have reacted with "what in the fuck? Who is writing this shit."

I'm not saying people are wrong for what they feel. Just think people should remember nothing is truly set until the film is out in theaters.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

I have no worries about this topic....I think if done right it's poetic based on his beliefs and the family history (though not mentioned and maybe not part of this canon...for fans though the implications are immense) . He's perfect for the situation.
Last edited by MrRockett on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I don't know if it'd ruin the movie for me, but it sounds dumb. Of course, that's assuming that it's true. That leak is a PREEEEEETTY big stretch, it doesn't hold much weight.

xenotactics
Monarch Researcher

Post by xenotactics »

I actually like it. The 2014 film glossing over the nuclear connection to the extent that it did was disappointing. I also hope that it's revealed that Godzilla was mutated by the Pacific tests that were (supposedly) intended to kill him.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Eh, I'd rather they not. This version of Godzilla being a naturally evolved creature makes him more unique, I think.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

KingKaiju wrote:I don't know if it'd ruin the movie for me, but it sounds dumb. Of course, that's assuming that it's true. That leak is a PREEEEEETTY big stretch, it doesn't hold much weight.
I definitely wouldn’t say that. The leak is corroborated by many sources and the trailer highlights key aspects of it.
Long Live The King

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I don't think the controversy is solely that a nuke is being used to revive Godzilla. As others have stated, both G84 and GvKG feature nuclear weapons/equipment being used in a similar fashion. I would think a sizable amount of the controversy relates to Serizawa and how he is portrayed in the Monsterverse as opposed to his namesake.

In the original film, Serizawa is a tortured figure who sacrifices himself not only to save Japan from Godzilla, but to save the world from his own creation: the Oxygen Destroyer. He knows that such a device would set off a new arms race just as bad (if not worse) than the already frightening nuclear arms race gripping the world at the time. Only the threat of Godzilla wreaking further devastation can spur him to actually use his horrid creation. While he has destroyed his notes and is about to detonate his only device, he knows that his continued existence means that the chance of the Oxygen Destroyer being manufactured again is just that much higher, and that concept is so terrifying to him that he kills himself to prevent it.

In King of the Monsters, there's not really quite that same impact. True, Serizawa is forced to use a weapon of mass destruction that has haunted him all his life to prevent a giant monster from destroying humanity, but the entire message about the dangers of nuclear proliferation is essentially sidestepped. Furthermore, the role reversal from the original to 2019 (Serizawa sacrificing himself to kill Godzilla vs. Serizawa sacrificing himself to save Godzilla) was clearly an intentional move on the part of the writers. Some may feel that flies in the face the original interpretation of Serizawa.

I mean, personally I'm fine with it, but I'm not even going to pretend that Serizawa's sacrifice in 2019 has anything resembling the same impact as the original.
Last edited by G2000 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

G2000 wrote:I don't think the controversy is solely that a nuke is being used to revive Godzilla. As others have stated, both G84 and GvKG feature nuclear weapons/equipment being used in a similar fashion. I would think a sizable amount of the controversy relates to Serizawa and how he is portrayed in the Monsterverse as opposed to his namesake.

In the original film, Serizawa is a tortured figure who sacrifices himself not only to save Japan from Godzilla, but to save the world from his own creation: the Oxygen Destroyer. He knows that such a device would set off a new arms race just as bad (if not worse) than the already frightening nuclear arms race gripping the world at the time. Only the threat of Godzilla wreaking further devastation While he has destroyed his notes and is about to detonate his only device, he knows that his continued existence means that the chance of the Oxygen Destroyer being manufactured again is just that much higher, and that concept is so terrifying to him that he kills himself to prevent it.

In King of the Monsters, there's not really quite that same impact. True, Serizawa is forced to use a weapon of mass destruction that has haunted him all his life to prevent a giant monster from potentially destroying humanity, but the entire message about the dangers of nuclear proliferation is essentially sidestepped. Furthermore, the role reversal from the original to 2019 (Serizawa sacrificing himself to kill Godzilla vs. Serizawa sacrificing himself to save Godzilla) was clearly an intentional move on the part of the writers. Some may feel that flies in the face the original interpretation of Serizawa.

I mean, personally I'm fine with it, but I'm not even going to pretend that Serizawa's sacrifice in 2019 is anywhere near the same impact as the original.
This sums up a lot.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

G2000 wrote:Furthermore, the role reversal from the original to 2019 (Serizawa sacrificing himself to kill Godzilla vs. Serizawa sacrificing himself to save Godzilla) was clearly an intentional move on the part of the writers. Some may feel that flies in the face the original interpretation of Serizawa.
Of all the complaints/dislikes for this idea, this one has the least ground in my opinion.

This isn't the original Serizawa. One of the first things we learn about this Serizawa is his respect and admiration for Godzilla, nothing short of a living god in his mind. Almost right from the start the two Serizawas are put up as mirrors of one another. Both have tragic circumstances that affect their views on nuclear weapons, but the need of one to destroy Godzilla is juxtaposed by the need of the other to save Godzilla. The difference is very much intentional and, whether or not they planned Serizawa's death in advance, the ground work for his reasons were laid in 2014.
Last edited by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah on Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Hokmuto wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:I don't know if it'd ruin the movie for me, but it sounds dumb. Of course, that's assuming that it's true. That leak is a PREEEEEETTY big stretch, it doesn't hold much weight.
I definitely wouldn’t say that. The leak is corroborated by many sources and the trailer highlights key aspects of it.
It's nearly a point-for-point leak of the trailer. Which, if anything, means that someone saw the trailer early.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

KingKaiju wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:
It's nearly a point-for-point leak of the trailer. Which, if anything, means that someone saw the trailer early.
Or they attended the screening.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
Hokmuto wrote: I definitely wouldn’t say that. The leak is corroborated by many sources and the trailer highlights key aspects of it.
“Screenings”

A few things about screenings:

1. Most films are rarely anything like the early screened films, as a vast majority of the early Sfx aren’t nearly done yet, and final cuts have yet to be made

2. Half of these “screenings” and “leaks” miraculously occurred after the trailer appeared, which sends a giant whiff of bullshit through the air.

My point is simply not to put so much weight on this stuff, which usually ends up being either drastically different or complete bullshit anyways.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

KingKaiju wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
“Screenings”

1. Most films are rarely anything like the early screened films, as a vast majority of the early Sfx aren’t nearly done yet, and final cuts have yet to be made

2. Half of these “screenings” and “leaks” miraculously occurred after the trailer appeared, which sends a giant whiff of bullshit through the air.

My point is simply not to put so much weight on this stuff, which usually ends up being either drastically different or complete bullshit anyways.
Many films are screened early. Furthermore, it was already known there would be a test screening for a WB film on the same exact day the leaks starting pouring in. It is official that there was a test screening and I doubt everyone would conspire together to say it was a Godzilla screening when it reality it wasn’t.
Long Live The King

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Hokmuto wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote: Or they attended the screening.
“Screenings”

Many films are screened early. Furthermore, it was already known there would be a test screening for a WB film on the same exact day the leaks starting pouring in. It is official that there was a test screening and I doubt everyone would conspire together to say it was a Godzilla screening when it reality it wasn’t.
No doubt that there are early screenings. My point is that early screenings are almost never what the final cut is, along with a ton of folks who are going to come out talking out of their asses anyways. It's like those "leaked" drawings that were supposedly the final designs for Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah. Miraculously came out after that supposed Rodan maquette, everyone bought into it... then the trailer came out.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Reviving the threat to.
Literally, the same exact thing happens in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, there is no issue.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Godzillian wrote:Reviving the threat to.
Literally, the same exact thing happens in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, there is no issue.
It's not the same as denoting a WMD.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Except it is, if not worse since in GVKG Japan is the one using a secret nuclear submarine to supercharge Godzilla

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Reviving Godzilla clearly backfires on them, since he just ends up stronger and more aggressive than before. Shindo essentially doomed himself the moment he got the sub constructed. King Ghidorah is all about an arrogant and blind Japan at the height of it's (soon to end) economic prowess, it's not really going against the first film's themes. Again who knows how it plays out in KOTM, but on paper it doesn't sound good at all. Serizawa (named after a character from the first film who kills himself alongside Godzilla to prevent an arms race) sacrifices himself by detonating a nuke to save Godzilla, who is essentially a living nuclear weapon. I'm sure Max "fast forward to the fight scenes" Borenstein thought he was clever with his subversion but this could go wrong very easily.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Godzillian wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Except it is, if not worse since in GVKG Japan is the one using a secret nuclear submarine to supercharge Godzilla
Mr. Goji and Watch pretty much hit it on the head, this whole idea could roll downhill fast. I mean I get what the screenwriters and MD are going for, yet they really need to pull their a-game so it isn't terrible.

Part of me believes they just threw in the nuke and Serizawa for "a call back".
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos