Could Ultraman ever be worked into the Monsterverse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Re: Could Ultraman ever be worked into the Monsterverse?

Post by Gojira1604 »

Anything could work.

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

Dr. Professor wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:Your argument is equivalent to saying we shouldn't get GKOTM because Megalon happened, or The Dark Knight should never have been made because the campy Adam West Batman was a kids show in the 60's.
Except that that's not the equivalent because Godzilla and Batman both started out as dark, serious characters that eventually became kids' franchises for a time. Ultraman is not the same case. Ultraman has always been geared towards kids, and, if I'm right (idk everything about Ultraman) has never been dark and serious.
Ultraseven X says hi. The recent Ultraseries like Ginga and etc are aimed at kids. This does not mean every other Ultraseries were aimed to explicitly at kids.

Then there's Ultraman Next, which is a slightly bigger budget, more mature take on the Ultraman franchise:

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

ray243 wrote:Then there's Ultraman Next, which is a slightly bigger budget, more mature take on the Ultraman franchise.
I watched this film after reading your post. It was brilliant! The final battle was well choreographed and the visual effects were pretty impressive for a 2004 film.

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

Thunderbird wrote:
ray243 wrote:Then there's Ultraman Next, which is a slightly bigger budget, more mature take on the Ultraman franchise.
I watched this film after reading your post. It was brilliant! The final battle was well choreographed and the visual effects were pretty impressive for a 2004 film.
This is pretty much what a "Hollywood" Ultraman movie would be like, but with a much smaller budget. I remember there was a lot of controversy over the "re-imagining" of how Ultraman looked when pictures of this movie was released.

I would imagine there would be similar outrage online if a Hollywood redesign the look of Ultraman. Too bad one of the best Hollywood director is never going to direct an Ultraman movie, even though he's a complete Ultraman fanatic.
Last edited by ray243 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

ray243 wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:
This is pretty much what a "Hollywood" Ultraman movie would be like, but with a much smaller budget. I remember there was a lot of controversy over the "re-imagining" of how Ultraman looked when pictures of this movie was released.

I would imagine there would be similar outrage online if a Hollywood redesign the look of Ultraman. Too bad one of the best Hollywood director is never going to direct an Ultraman movie, even though he's a complete Ultraman fanatic.
Whose that?

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

Living Corpse wrote:
ray243 wrote:
Thunderbird wrote: Whose that?
Del Toro. He grew up watching the original Ultraman as a kid.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I see that the overwhelming majority of you are staunchly opposed to the idea of Ultraman being worked into the Monsterverse. However, would you be okay if some other Hollywood studio got the rights to make their own series of Ultraman films independent from the Monsterverse?

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

ray243 wrote: Del Toro. He grew up watching the original Ultraman as a kid.
What's preventing Guillermo Del Toro from making a Hollywood Ultraman film? I can't think of a director who is better suited for a project like that.

Added in 53 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote:However, would you be okay if some other Hollywood studio got the rights to make their own series of Ultraman films independent from the Monsterverse?
Absolutely.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I think Tsuburaya is going to be overly cautious with their international rights. They just had a long fight in the courts over the rights, a court fight that prevented Ultraman from appearing in "Ready Player One". The new shows are still going strong in Japan, recycling old Ultramen, Kaiju, and Seijin. As mentioned before, they like there stage shows so they won't be moving away from suits anytime soon.

Personally I would love to see Guillermo Del Toro do a movie based on the original series with the Baltan Seijins as the bad guys. But I am not going to hold my breath.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maybe Del Toro could tr to spearhead an animated Netflix Ultraman series with Deamworks like how he did with Trollhunter. That is if he can get the rights from Tsuburaya

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

szmigiel wrote:I think Tsuburaya is going to be overly cautious with their international rights. They just had a long fight in the courts over the rights, a court fight that prevented Ultraman from appearing in "Ready Player One". The new shows are still going strong in Japan, recycling old Ultramen, Kaiju, and Seijin. As mentioned before, they like there stage shows so they won't be moving away from suits anytime soon.

Personally I would love to see Guillermo Del Toro do a movie based on the original series with the Baltan Seijins as the bad guys. But I am not going to hold my breath.
LegendZilla wrote:Maybe Del Toro could tr to spearhead an animated Netflix Ultraman series with Deamworks like how he did with Trollhunter. That is if he can get the rights from Tsuburaya
You need to be extremely certain that international rights is back under Tsuburaya, because otherwise you'll risk a pointless lawsuit. But I would rather have an American studio trying to create a new Ultraman rather than trying to base it on the original series.

Ideally, you want to give the directors as much creative freedom as possible, which is certainly possible for a series like Ultraman. There's already been a few different incarnations of Ultraman and different origin stories for how Ultraman came about.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

*Any American studio could simply collaborate with Tsuburaya to avoid a lawsuit rather than having to snag the rights from.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

LegendZilla wrote:*Any American studio could simply collaborate with Tsuburaya to avoid a lawsuit rather than having to snag the rights from.
They'd never collaborate with filthy gaijin.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:*Any American studio could simply collaborate with Tsuburaya to avoid a lawsuit rather than having to snag the rights from.
That blows since the Ultraman franchise as a whole deserves large-scale western exposure more than anything.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I'm not sure if Tsubarya can collobrate or if it'd be part of the Monsterverse but I could totally see a American Ultraman reboot. It'd be something new for audiences, it's concept has a lot of story and creative potential and it lets whatever studio makes it cash in on the giant monster resurgence and that sweet superhero franchise money.

RIP Evan.

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

They already did. Multiple times in fact.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LegendZilla wrote:
That blows since the Ultraman franchise as a whole deserves large-scale western exposure more than anything.
ray243 wrote:
They already did. Multiple times in fact.
Lads, he was being sarcastic with youse.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Anything could work in the monster verse depending on how far the want to stretch it. Ultraman fits into a nice bubble where his a 60's hero almost on par with Godzilla. If KOTM does well plus being similar to superhero movies now I would say after 2020 maybe Ultraman could at least be attempted.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

No because the MonsterVerse has to be realistic and natural!!! :roll:

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:No because the MonsterVerse has to be realistic and natural!!! :roll:
But thats literally the point of the monsterverse. not so much realism as naturality, but still.

I think the problem is people are so desperate to see their favorite kaiju or toho related characters that they aren't willing to wait for a more fitting series. Everything just needs to be in the monsterverse, even if it has no precedence. But we've got world of godzilla coming soon, which will no doubt have a more marvel-esque formula and probably more fantastical view.

If we can wait for that to throw in every kaiju in the book and just let the monsterverse keep it's themes of man V nature, and follow the rules it has set up for itself, it will be so much better.