Could Ultraman ever be worked into the Monsterverse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Re: Could Ultraman ever be worked into the Monsterverse?

Post by morgoth »

LOL Nope.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

morgoth wrote:LOL Nope.
That’s quite the double standard regarding how easily people automatically suck up whatvever the MCU will toss at us these days. Back in 2008 when it first began, who would’ve ever guessed it would eventually include a talking, gun-toting Racoon?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

LegendZilla wrote:
That’s quite the double standard regarding how easily people automatically suck up whatvever the MCU will toss at us these days. Back in 2008 when it first began, who would’ve ever guessed it would eventually include a talking, gun-toting Racoon?
Ok? But Rocket Raccoon is actually a part of the Marvel Universe.
Ultraman and Godzilla are separate entities from separate franchises done by separate studios.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Ultraman and Godzilla are separate entities from separate franchises done by separate studios.
Godzilla and Kong began as different studios as well.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

LegendZilla wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
You HAVE to be joking? You’re literally going to try and compare Ultraman to King Kong? :lol:

NEWS FLASH: KING KONG IS A FUCKING POP CULTURE PHENOMENON !!!

A pop culture icon bigger than Godzilla, by a huge margin, there was actual money to be made in such a project, the same can’t be said about Ultraman… at all. He’s a no name nowadays in the states and no fucking American film company is going to be -------- enough to even CONSIDER putting Ultraman in the MonsterVerse.

Please save your breath and refrain from coming up with any other “rebuttal” you maybe racking your brain to come up with because you’re obviously very ignorant to how things work in the American movie buiz.

Added in 3 minutes 14 seconds:
And just in case a MOD gets called in, the term “ignorant” doesn’t mean I’m calling him stupid, I’m just calling out the fact this guy has no clue how studios, GA, and brand recognition works and perceive foreign properties.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

LegendZilla wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote: Ok? But Rocket Raccoon is actually a part of the Marvel Universe.
Ok? That was also the 60’s, plus Kong actually had a name for himself and was widely known, the same can’t be said about Ultraman so please refrain from coming up with “rebuttals” because you’re very ignorant to how things work, obviously.
however a surprising amount of people these days are aware of ultraman and hell even gamera, also ultraman already does have a name for himself. just not in the west, want him to be recognized? bring him over. bureaucracies aside its a relatively simple solution, main variable is if one would view it as a worthwhile endeavor and if tsuburaya would sign off
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
your source of self destruction

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

There’s an obvious reason we’ve never seen an American Ultraman adaptation, and an even bigger reason why we never will. There’s no money to be made here from it.

If a Japanese proof of concept trailer couldn’t amount to anything in the country the franchise originated from, what makes you think it’d work here?

Ultraman is remembered by people in their 40-50’s, and even then, it’s a very small margin of people who remember the show, the younger GA, the demographic to which such a film and character would be catering to, would have zero clue who Ultraman is, and would think it’s some DC superhero :lol:
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Ghidorah is beating Godzilla, but then we hear a remixed eerie soundtrack playing.....a flash of light is seen in the distance emanating through the dark clouds. A beeper, a beeper of hope, a beeper that will not only save Godzilla from the literal Devil, but also the world. It is Ultraman.

Is this what we are seriously considering?
Long Live The King

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Ultraman is hugely popular.

People who haven't seen a Japanese Godzilla movie are still aware of who Ultraman is.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Ultraman is hugely popular.

People who haven't seen a Japanese Godzilla movie are still aware of who Ultraman is.
Yeah… in Japan, in Japan he’s “hugely popular”, in America, he’s nothing but a vague memory :lol:

And just because you make a baseless assertion (because that’s what your post is, baseless) doesn’t make it so ;) but good try though, you almost had me with your top notch argument /sarcasm.

On the second notion, the only people outside its niche of fans who remember Ultraman are people in their 50’s who grew up watching it, and guess what? They’re sure as fuck not fans now, it’s all but forgotten now cause the GA couldn’t give two shits about some 60’s kids show that failed to stand the test of time in America, unlike Godzilla.
You’re like, what? 13? 14? I’m assuming by your posts? If you weren’t a kaiju fan, I can assure you, you wouldn’t even know who Ultraman is.

The GA (General Audience, just in case you didn’t know) over here have zero want for an American Ultraman adaptation. There’s not enough recognition to warrant it.

The same can’t be said about Godzilla or Kong, you can ask anyone who those two are and regardless of whether or not they’ve seen their films, they AT LEAST know who the characters are. Can’t say the same for Ultraman.

I’ll say it again since you aren’t capable of grasping it the initial time I said it, Ultraman was a franchise geared for children, it’s still popular in Japan because it still airs frequently for kids, kids over here on the other hand, AMERICAN CHILDREN, have never heard of Ultraman in their lives and would most likely be confused as hell to who the character was, assuming it to be some cheesy DC or Marvel superhero.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:33 am, edited 7 times in total.
#slatternking

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I'm willing to believe people people know who Ultraman is based on the fact that i've met people who don't watch Japanese Godzilla movies or Ultraman and they recognized the character.

And that's here in Australia where I haven't seen a Godzilla or Gamera movie screened on TV since the 90's.

That being said how they know about Ultraman is above and beyond me and my only guess is that they saw it on the internet.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:I'm willing to believe people people know who Ultraman is based on the fact that i've met people who don't watch Japanese Godzilla movies or Ultraman and they recognized the character.
They probably got him mixed up with Jet Jaguar or something.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

PitchBlackProgress wrote: If a Japanese proof of concept trailer couldn’t amount to anything in the country the franchise originated from, what makes you think it’d work here?
Ultraman doesn't belong in the Monsterverse, but you are underestimating the character's appeal in the West. The Ultra Series airs on Tsuburaya's Youtube channel and on Crunchyroll in the US, so the characters have visibilty beyond the original series and are more well known than you think.

I think that the proof of concept trailer threatened the tokusatsu status quo. You can't put a CGI Ultra character on stage and Tsuburaya makes a ton of money putting the heroes and villains of their shows in live stage productions. Once we get a full fledged CGI Ultraman show there won't be any turning back. Now that Godzilla shed his Toku origins, newer audiences will take to the CGI version and nothing else. Look no further than Toho replacing the Heisei statue with one of Shin at their HQ. Same will happen with Tsuburaya and Ultraman.

Personally, I think a Westernized Ultra movie produced in Hollywood and aimed at adult audiences could be huge.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Ultraman is hugely popular.

Yeah… in Japan, in Japan he’s “hugely popular”, in America, he’s nothing but a vague memory :lol:

And just because you make a baseless assertion (because that’s what your post is, baseless) doesn’t make it so ;) but good try though, you almost had me with your top notch argument /sarcasm.

On the second notion, the only people outside its niche of fans who remember Ultraman are people in their 50’s who grew up watching it, and guess what? They’re sure as skreeonk not fans now, it’s all but forgotten now cause the GA couldn’t give two shits about some 60’s kids show that failed to stand the test of time in America, unlike Godzilla.
You’re like, what? 13? 14? I’m assuming by your posts? If you weren’t a kaiju fan, I can assure you, you wouldn’t even know who Ultraman is.

The GA (General Audience, just in case you didn’t know) over here have zero want for an American Ultraman adaptation. There’s not enough recognition to warrant it.

The same can’t be said about Godzilla or Kong, you can ask anyone who those two are and regardless of whether or not they’ve seen their films, they AT LEAST know who the characters are. Can’t say the same for Ultraman.

I’ll say it again since you aren’t capable of grasping it the initial time I said it, Ultraman was a franchise geared for children, it’s still popular in Japan because it still airs frequently for kids, kids over here on the other hand, AMERICAN CHILDREN, have never heard of Ultraman in their lives and would most likely be confused as hell to who the character was, assuming it to be some cheesy DC or Marvel superhero.
This. Chicken-choking, Mother fucking this.
Last edited by morgoth on Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Ultraman was a franchise geared for children, it’s still popular in Japan because it still airs frequently for kids, kids over here on the other hand, AMERICAN CHILDREN, have never heard of Ultraman in their lives and would most likely be confused as hell to who the character was
But the world doesn't revolve around American children. Most of the MCU and DC Universe was geared to children and not all of it is successful outside of the US. Your argument is equivalent to saying we shouldn't get GKOTM because Megalon happened, or The Dark Knight should never have been made because the campy Adam West Batman was a kids show in the 60's. Not many people knew who Black Panther was until the character was successfully introduced earlier this year. Same could be done for a mainstream Ultra film from Hollywood if it was done right.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Thunderbird wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Ultraman was a franchise geared for children, it’s still popular in Japan because it still airs frequently for kids, kids over here on the other hand, AMERICAN CHILDREN, have never heard of Ultraman in their lives and would most likely be confused as hell to who the character was
But the world doesn't revolve around American children. Most of the MCU and DC Universe was geared to children and not all of it is successful outside of the US. Your argument is equivalent to saying we shouldn't get GKOTM because Megalon happened, or The Dark Knight should never have been made because the campy Adam West Batman was a kids show in the 60's. Not many people knew who Black Panther was until the character was successfully introduced earlier this year. Same could be done for a mainstream Ultra film from Hollywood if it was done right.
^This to the power of 10.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Thunderbird wrote:
I'm gonna quote what my friend Mr. Toots said.

"America has TOO much influence on the world sometimes."

And I've said it once and I'll say it again, Zone Fighter has a better chance, not because of popularityu, far from it, even most kaiju fans never heard of him, but because Toho actually owns the character and even then they'd probably would never consider him.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Thunderbird wrote:Your argument is equivalent to saying we shouldn't get GKOTM because Megalon happened, or The Dark Knight should never have been made because the campy Adam West Batman was a kids show in the 60's.
Except that that's not the equivalent because Godzilla and Batman both started out as dark, serious characters that eventually became kids' franchises for a time. Ultraman is not the same case. Ultraman has always been geared towards kids, and, if I'm right (idk everything about Ultraman) has never been dark and serious.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dr. Professor wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:Your argument is equivalent to saying we shouldn't get GKOTM because Megalon happened, or The Dark Knight should never have been made because the campy Adam West Batman was a kids show in the 60's.
Except that that's not the equivalent because Godzilla and Batman both started out as dark, serious characters that eventually became kids' franchises for a time. Ultraman is not the same case. Ultraman has always been geared towards kids, and, if I'm right (idk everything about Ultraman) has never been dark and serious.
Well, there was Ultraman The Next movie and the Nexus series which were darker than normal for Ultraman. Still unless they are trying to cash in on the super hero craze, I don't think Tsuburaya Productions will even bother lending the rights to Legendary for the Murica Godzilla (and Kong) show.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Especially if they knew they were gonna make it darker and dramatic.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking