What could have been (Gareth Edwards) VS. what is (Michael Dougherty)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: What could have been (Gareth Edwards) VS. what is (Michael Dougherty)

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

G14 is not a bad film persay. Boring and painfully mediocre perhaps but there are definitely infinitely worse films out there. Its partially my fault I guess for expecting more out of the film than it gave me. That doesn't exactly excuse the film for not even reaching its own goals. Still a lot of that is as much if not more of a scripting problem than a directing one.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Pacfanweb wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Aaron Taylor Johnson sure beat the hell out of Tom Hiddleston as far as Monsterverse acting is concerned. Gareth was fine.
I am serious.

For fucks sakes, you people are god damn obnoxious.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Alright, let's keep things civil. No need for the name calling or the meme.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:G14 is not a bad film persay. Boring and painfully mediocre perhaps but there are definitely infinitely worse films out there. Its partially my fault I guess for expecting more out of the film than it gave me. That doesn't exactly excuse the film for not even reaching its own goals. Still a lot of that is as much if not more of a scripting problem than a directing one.
How does the film “fail at reaching its goals” if it told a complete story from beginning to end? It seems like you’re mad at the movie for not catering to you specifically and what you thought it should be. That’s not the movie or directors fault.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

What makes me very confident about this movie is that Dougherty really gives off the impression that he's a huge Godzilla nerd. I never felt that from Gareth. Sure he said he was a fan, but I think it was more of being a fan of movies in general and appreciating and respecting the 54 original for its place in the history of cinema. You can really feel the love that Dougherty has for the franchise. I mean, him correcting interviewers about Ghidorahs' gravity beam...come on! And O'Shea Jr name dropping Gigan! It's great to see so much passion for Godzilla's past coming from those involved.
Last edited by AtomicMorningBreath on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."