The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
goji89
Sazer

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by goji89 »

Gojira-Fan wrote:
goji89 wrote:Can somebody please smack me with some knowledge?

Where we at boy's?
Little over 384 million WW, little under 110 million domestic.

The movie is only playing in 218 theaters nationwide (in the U.S.).

Last weekend (July 19-21) it made $168,126 and was ranked 25th in the box office (in the 8th week of release). For comparison, the 2014 Godzilla film made $419,108 in its 8th weekend and was ranked 18th.

Theater average for last weekend was $771.

It is also no longer in the top 10 of highest grossing films of 2019, having been kicked out due to the recent release of The Lion King.

All info is from Box Office Mojo, except for the bit about dropping out of the top 10. I have to thank Wikipedia for that.
Bro...........I said smack me not tommy gun my ass to death...... :cry: .

Well at least it wasn't a huge failure.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Gojira-Fan wrote:
goji89 wrote:Can somebody please smack me with some knowledge?

Where we at boy's?

Last weekend (July 19-21) it made $168,126 and was ranked 25th in the box office (in the 8th week of release). For comparison, the 2014 Godzilla film made $419,108 in its 8th weekend and was ranked 18th.

It is also no longer in the top 10 of highest grossing films of 2019, having been kicked out due to the recent release of The Lion King.

All info is from Box Office Mojo, except for the bit about dropping out of the top 10. I have to thank Wikipedia for that.
Depressing to read all that
I think there are multiple factors that determined this movie's fate. A competitive summer movie season, inability to market this movie to those outside of the Godzilla fandom, a rotten rating on RT, and honestly lackluster writing that really prevented it from gaining good word of mouth. Too long of a wait between 2014 and this film. Some people honestly thought this was a reboot rather than a sequel. I think Spider-Man getting rebooted twice in such a short amount of time really set a bad precedent of people thinking 5 years is too long of a wait for a sequel. I don't think 2014 Godzilla really stayed in the popular imagination that much either.

Nor were the stars really big enough draws to get butts in the seats. Stranger Things might be popular, but Millie Bobbie Bobbie Brown is no Bryan Cranston.

If it was going to survive in such a competitive summer movie season it really needed to hit it out of the park. Perhaps an August or November release date would have suited it better?
ultrazilla wrote:
More depressing to see people went and saw Aladdin more than twice as much :(.

We always knew Aladdin would do better than KOTM
Yeah, Aladdin definitely has better brand name recognition and overall fondness in the popular culture compared to Godzilla (plus Will Smith, who definitely sells more tickets than any of the actors in KotM). If Godzilla was going to truly compete with it it really needed more selling points. Notice that Godzilla only just barely beat Aladdin in it's opening weekend and ended up dropping below it in the ranking the next weekend?
Gojira-Fan wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Can somebody please smack me with some knowledge?

Where we at boy's?

Bro...........I said smack me not tommy gun my ass to death...... :cry: .

Well at least it wasn't a huge failure.
I'm sorry to be such a debbie downer. It is possible that the movie actually made a profit or at least broke even if what pkmatrix said was true (he said that a $350 million gross might be the break even point). Apparently it is a very complicated business arrangement at Legendary, given that their parent company also owns the largest movie theater chain in the U.S. (AMC theaters). So they don't have to worry about sharing any of the ticket price with the theater if it played at an AMC theater. Also, given that this film was mostly financed by Legendary (so technically mostly financed by a Chinese company, given that their parent company is the Chinese conglomerate Wanda group) they pocketed more money in the film's largest international market of China. Most American films in China have to split the cost with the Chinese government (which doesn't apply if it is a Chinese financed film).

Given these factors, the typical rule of thumb of a film needing to gross 2.5x its budget to break even might not apply.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

so can this thread be closed now? the films coming out on DVD in two weeks and it's close to the final days in theatres.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Yup, it's basically run its course, so unless some crazy gains happen in the home release department, locked indefinitely.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!