The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
JGAR
Futurian

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by JGAR »

https://deadline.com/2018/09/dark-phoen ... 202473229/

Like I said on the speculation thread, I'm still hopeful. However unless one movie ends up moving in the future or something dramatic happens like it getting shelved into Netflix of the Disney streaming service, we're gonna see the X-Men face Godzilla once more. :mad: -_-

My predictions are still the same but now they're more likely to be the max that this film can make at the box office now that it's sandwiched between a Disney film and a Fox Marvel film, just like Kong: Skull Island (WW: $566M).
Yooo 8-)

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Anyone remember the big MTV poll they had in 2014 where Godzilla was facing off against X-Men, Planet of the Apes, and a few other franchises and fans had bots upvote Godzilla because they thought it’d mean the movie would do better? :lol:
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Kong was smashed between Logan and Beauty and the Beast and still did better than G14, I also don't think nearly as many people are as excited for Dark Phoenix as they were for Logan. Not too worried about it.
Last edited by KillCrites on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

erod510
Samurai

Post by erod510 »

KillCrites wrote:Kong was smashed between Logan and Beauty and the Beast and still did better than G14, I also don't think nearly as many people are as excited for Dark Phoenix as they were for Logan. Not too worried about it.
Yeah, X-Men is not the same anymore without Wolverine.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Anyone remember the big MTV poll they had in 2014 where Godzilla was facing off against Planet of the Apes and a few other franchises and fans had bots upvote Godzilla because they thought it’d mean the movie would do better? :lol:
Wasn't Planet of the Apes in July?
KillCrites wrote:Kong was smashed between Logan and Beauty and the Beast and still did better than G14, I also don't think nearly as many people are as excited for Dark Phoenix as they were for Logan. Not too worried about it.
This.

Godzilla is gonna do fine.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Aladdin and BATB are about the same but Logan was for more hyped and superior to Dark Phoenix. The only x factor will be is Godzilla in may a bigger draw than Kong in march.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Anyone remember the big MTV poll they had in 2014 where Godzilla was facing off against Planet of the Apes and a few other franchises and fans had bots upvote Godzilla because they thought it’d mean the movie would do better? :lol:
Wasn't Planet of the Apes in July?
IDK, what's that have to do with anything? Is was a poll for 2014 movies in general.
I just remember Days of Future Past, Vampire Academy, and Planet of the Apes were the biggest competition on those polls, and someone got a bunch of bots to upvote Vampire Academy, so in return someone here had bots upvoting Godzilla... and it still lost the poll :lol:
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Man, I still find this a little upsetting, especially since I personally believe Godzilla (2014) is a superior film than Kong. It just goes to show how bad word of mouth was though, which was no doubt mostly comprised of "Bryan Cranston dies early and Godzilla's barely in it"

As far as King of the Monsters goes, it's unfortunate that Dark Phoenix is releasing one week later now, but I still have an incredible amount of confidence in this movie and still holding out hope it makes $680 worldwide....maybe even cross $700M

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Honestly, I'm not worried. The X-Men brand is not what it once was. Plus, the Dark Phoenix trailer got a mostly lukewarm reception (also, the whole Disney-merger thing could play a small part with hardcore CBM fans).

As long as reviews/WoM is strong, I'm confident Godzilla will have a good holdover week 2 & strong Box Office run

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

PitchBlackProgress wrote:IDK, what's that have to do with anything? Is was a poll for 2014 movies in general.
I just remember Days of Future Past, Vampire Academy, and Planet of the Apes were the biggest competition on those polls, and someone got a bunch of bots to upvote Vampire Academy, so in return someone here had bots upvoting Godzilla... and it still lost the poll :lol:
My bad I confused it for being released on the same month.

fake
Monsterland Worker

Post by fake »

I think it will get slightly lower reviews than Godzilla 2014 as there isn't exactly much of a plot. Should open close to Godzilla 2014 but have much better legs thanks to it being an audience pleasing movie.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

fake wrote:I think it will get slightly lower reviews than Godzilla 2014 as there isn't exactly much of a plot. Should open close to Godzilla 2014 but have much better legs thanks to it being an audience pleasing movie.
Well that sounds promising.
#slatternking

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Solo, Deadpool 2 and Infinity War showed that three massive movies can end up with two making bank and one doing decent but suffering from too high a budget. I see

Aladdin 800m-1B

Godzilla 700m- 800m(1B) Herring the hype with Ghidorah is starting to raise my expections a little high.

Dark Phoenix 500m max.

This is what I see.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Regarding Dark Phoenix: I think it says a lot that, not only has the movie been delayed 3 times now, but the previous release date was scheduled for February. (January and Feb are considered "dump dates" by studios, where they release projects they don't have a lot of confidence in). And I know, the merger messed everything up, but still. Also, the trailer reception has been a mixed bag to my understanding.

Anyway, Fox obviously isn't worried about audience overlap. They must feel like there's enough butts in the seats to go around during blockbuster season. I do think it's cool that Millie and Sophie Turner will be leading the charge into summer, being a fan of their respective shows.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

fake wrote:I think it will get slightly lower reviews than Godzilla 2014 as there isn't exactly much of a plot. Should open close to Godzilla 2014 but have much better legs thanks to it being an audience pleasing movie.
So you are guessing an Rotton Tomatoes score in the 70's? Cool

I'm gonna guess 600 million minimum and 700 million maximum. I think this is reasonable based on this, although this is the first time I've actually done any Box Office speculation.
Spoiler:
There is probably going to be a group of critics who are going to turn their reviews into big rants about how "The MonsterVerse is whitewashing Godzilla" and especially about Serizawa's sacrifice
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

Given political climate regarding Aladdin, those numbers might go up or down as some news outlets judge movies with actors of certain ethnicities with fine tooth combs. Not going to go too deep into it as it's a massive can of worms, just bringing it up. Plus I think the audiences are juuuust different enough hopefully Disney Princes and Kaiju won't bite into each other as much.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

mvp9056
Monarch Researcher

Post by mvp9056 »

The first Aladdin teaser will release later so we'll see how the film looks, and start to get a feel for how much competition it'll give Godzilla.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

mvp9056 wrote:The first Aladdin teaser will release later so we'll see how the film looks, and start to get a feel for how much competition it'll give Godzilla.
Annnnnnd that was a pretty awful first trailer (in my most humble opinion) That doesn't obviously speak to the quality of the film itself, but still... :eh:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I still don't personally expect Dark Phoenix to do very well. Why is Fox even still making X-Men movies if Disney is buying the film rights soon? I feel there's no point and that it concluded with Logan.

That's one less competition for Godzilla BTW.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

That Aladdin teaser was so bland & boring lol. Awful teaser trailer.
Last edited by dillonking55 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.