The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Godzilla21 »

It definitely looks better. But Jafar still sucks
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by GojiDog »

Aladdin looks like most other Disney live action remakes.

Sadder and less good versions of a classic.

Personally, I'd rather just stay home and rewatch the classic, but what do I know?
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Disney domination is back on the menu. Admittedly, Aladdin does look much better now. Much more promising than the live-action Beauty and the Beast ever did and that made over a billion dollars. The animated version of Aladdin was the bigger success back in the day as well.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

The new Aladdin still looks like the film equivalent of those Unreal Engine 4 remakes of old Nintendo games. They both look like total garbage.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Im gonna go watch Aladdin just to spite the Hell out of all of you.
And Im gonna give it two thumbs up and praise the Hell out of it on every review site on the internet. Im gonna buy the shirts the toys I'll single handily will make it the best movie ever

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Aladdin looks better sure, but Jafar still looks and sounds like utter shit.

It's a Disney movie, it was going to make money regardless but Godzilla will take it from the number 1 spot so i'm not concerned.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Godzilla will certainly be #1 on its opening week. How long do you all think it'll be #1 for? Will it retain the top spot in its second week or will it be bested by Secret Life of Pets 2 or Dark Phoenix?
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote:Godzilla will certainly be #1 on its opening week. How long do you all think it'll be #1 for? Will it retain the top spot in its second week or will it be bested by Secret Life of Pets 2 or Dark Phoenix?

That depends how big Godzilla 2 opens, and how big of a drop it has on it's second week. Dark Phoenix will probably open in the 60$ million range. 75$ million being extremely generous and the most optimistic. You got to figure that Godzilla 2 will probably drop at the very least 55% so... I'd really like to see a massive opening exceeding 120$ million, then make a 60$ million second week but it's still to early to tell.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Dark Phoenix is opening with $45M at most, there isn’t enough hype like DOFP or Apocalypse.

Though the Secret Life of Pets 2 might open with $80M+.
Yooo 8-)

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

goji89 wrote:Im gonna go watch Aladdin just to spite the Hell out of all of you.
And Im gonna give it two thumbs up and praise the Hell out of it on every review site on the internet. Im gonna buy the shirts the toys I'll single handily will make it the best movie ever
$0.02 and a Disneyland concessions discount have been deposited into your account
Last edited by G2000 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

G2000 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Im gonna go watch Aladdin just to spite the Hell out of all of you.
$0.02 and a Disneyland concessions discount have been deposited into your account
Oh Joy.......... :huge: .

Wait a minute....You don't twerk for Disney.

Stupid autocorrect..... :oops:
Last edited by goji89 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Well it looks like Captain Marvel had quite the drop...but is should hold....

The numbers are in for the Captain Marvel Monday box office, and as expected following all the hardcore MCU fans showing over the weekend, the numbers have dropped substantially, even more than Batman vs. Superman.

While it is only one day, Captain Marvel is estimated to have brought in only $11 million on Monday, a drop from Sunday of around 71.6%. Update: The official estimate is $10,986,773.

Batman vs. Superman only dropped 55.5% for its first Monday.

The 71.6% Monday drop for Captain Marvel is comparable to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 which saw a 74.8% drop for its first Monday, yet the James Gunn flick still went on to make over $863 million worldwide.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

MrRockett wrote:Well it looks like Captain Marvel had quite the drop...but is should hold....

The numbers are in for the Captain Marvel Monday box office, and as expected following all the hardcore MCU fans showing over the weekend, the numbers have dropped substantially, even more than Batman vs. Superman.

The 71.6% Monday drop for Captain Marvel is comparable to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 which saw a 74.8% drop for its first Monday, yet the James Gunn flick still went on to make over $863 million worldwide.
Batman vs. Superman's "only" 55.5% drop comes with a really big asterisk though. The reason for the very impressive drop is because it was the Monday after Easter Sunday. Movies typically have softer-than-usual drops then.

Past films which enjoyed post-Easter weekend Monday drops were Furious 7 & 8 (at -57.7% and -60% respectively).

Looking at non-Easter March releases like Logan (-70%) and Beauty and the Beast (-72%), they had much bigger drops on their 1st Monday but overall had much better legs than the Easter weekend examples I gave.

EDIT: Capt.Marvel grossed $14.6 million on Tuesday. Higher than BvS' $12.2 million and showing that the Monday drop wasnt anything extreme.

Overall, looks like its legs arent going to be close to that of BvS.
Last edited by kaijukurt on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

How much competition do you think "Rocketman" will be? The first trailer has gotten great reception and it might get a bit of a boost from all the positives surrounding "Bohemian Rhapsody". People who enjoyed that movie might be compelled to see this one hoping for another really good rockstar biopic.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

kaijukurt wrote:
MrRockett wrote:Well it looks like Captain Marvel had quite the drop...but is should hold....

Batman vs. Superman's "only" 55.5% drop comes with a really big asterisk though. The reason for the very impressive drop is because it was the Monday after Easter Sunday. Movies typically have softer-than-usual drops then.

Past films which enjoyed post-Easter weekend Monday drops were Furious 7 & 8 (at -57.7% and -60% respectively).

Looking at non-Easter March releases like Logan (-70%) and Beauty and the Beast (-72%), they had much bigger drops on their 1st Monday but overall had much better legs than the Easter weekend examples I gave.

EDIT: Capt.Marvel grossed $14.6 million on Tuesday. Higher than BvS' $12.2 million and showing that the Monday drop wasnt anything extreme.

Overall, looks like its legs arent going to be close to that of BvS.
I only quoted a report, the comparisons were not mine. Also when big opening BO films open, the Monday after drop can be amplified by the opening weekend take.
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

MrRockett wrote:
I only quoted a report, the comparisons were not mine. Also when big opening BO films open, the Monday after drop can be amplified by the opening weekend take.
Really sorry if it seemed like I was going after your points/trying to give a lecture, just wanted to put things into perspective.
Last edited by kaijukurt on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

kaijukurt wrote:
MrRockett wrote:
Really sorry if it seemed like I was going after your points/trying to give a lecture, just wanted to put things into perspective.
Naah, It's a forum, no offense taken, just should have clarified that I was plagiarizing someone else's work....

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Eewww! You ladies done kissing and making up? I thought we were going to see two pitbulls go at it and we get The Notbook up in this beach.

Maybe tomorrow.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

JGAR wrote:Dark Phoenix is opening with $45M at most, there isn’t enough hype like DOFP or Apocalypse.

Though the Secret Life of Pets 2 might open with $80M+.
And Dark Phoenix is supposed to be Fant4stic bad. And after Logan, few people wanted this movie anyway.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Lets be honest guys Dark Phoenix is destined to fail anyways given Disney's eventual purchase and integration/reboot of X-Men into the MCU and the writers and producers of Fant4stic being involved.

Barely even competition at all.

Like I don't know why that film is even existing to begin with due to those factors...
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.