Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

Post by godzilla98rules »

I just listened to a huge chunk of the soundtrack, and without a doubt, it's spectacular! Bear McCreary, I tip my hat to you. Such emotion, such heart-pumping action, and such aggressiveness! I loved the inclusion of Godzilla's tracks, and Mothra's was beautiful! So far I haven't noticed any snippets of Rodan's or Ghidorah's classic themes, but I'm still contented with the overall score so far.

This soundtrack is easily becoming one of my favorites
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Such a huge step up from 2014. That was always my personal biggest issue with that movie, it didn't sound like a Godzilla movie.

This? Bear nailed it. I feel like he's done the impossible. I'll be listening to this all the way up to Thursday
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Available for download now. Alright got mine. Still not sure if I wanna listen to it first or wait to hear the music in film. Yeah G14's soundtrack is barely even noticeable in the film
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri May 24, 2019 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

I knew Bear would be perfect and he even went above my expectiations. I literally teared up listening to this as I’d never thought in my life I’d hear Akira's work be so respected by another great composer. Already pre-ordered the disc while listening to the whole thing on Spotify.
:terrestris:

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I know some are disappointed that the classic Ghidorah Ifukube theme didn't make it into the film, but I really like what Bear did with it here. The demonic chanting just gives me chills every time I listen to it.

And I can't say enough how expertly he did Mothra's theme. It sounds gorgeous.

And all the times the Godzilla makes it into the score serve to perfectly punctuate moments in the film.

Basically, this score sounds like Bear took inspiration from his previous work on God of War, Ifukube, and Hans Zimmer, and just exploded it all into a wonderful musical experience that makes the film even more awesome.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

battle in Boston is amazing.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I personally absolutely love Ghidorah's new theme. The Tibetan styled chanting in the background is one hell of a creepy touch.

EternalMothra
Samurai

Post by EternalMothra »

Sonic wrote:battle in Boston is amazing.
I agree, that track is phenomenal. I got super emotional when Mothra's signature flute theme entered the composition. It's going to be a glorious entrance in the movie; I can feel it in my bones.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

EternalMothra wrote:
Sonic wrote:battle in Boston is amazing.
I agree, that track is phenomenal. I got super emotional when Mothra's signature flute theme entered the composition. It's going to be a glorious entrance in the movie; I can feel it in my bones.
you and me both... chills.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

GojiDog wrote:I know some are disappointed that the classic Ghidorah Ifukube theme didn't make it into the film, but I really like what Bear did with it here. The demonic chanting just gives me chills every time I listen to it.

And I can't say enough how expertly he did Mothra's theme. It sounds gorgeous.

And all the times the Godzilla makes it into the score serve to perfectly punctuate moments in the film.

Basically, this score sounds like Bear took inspiration from his previous work on God of War, Ifukube, and Hans Zimmer, and just exploded it all into a wonderful musical experience that makes the film even more awesome.
So the score is noticeable in the film (outside the Ifukube cues I mean)? G14's score barely even registered to me when watching the film.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Love Ghidorah's new theme. All the clues are there for where they are taking the character in this movie. And I couldn't be happier about it.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

I saw someone comment that the Buddhist chants from Ghidorah's Theme are lifted directly from the Japanese rendition of the Heart Sutra. Apparently the number 3 has some sacred meaning in Buddhism, and the words of the chant have some thematic attachment to Ghidorah but its hard for me to understand because I'm not familiar with Buddhism at all.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Available for download now. Alright got mine. Still not sure if I wanna listen to it first or wait to hear the music in film. Yeah G14's soundtrack is barely even noticeable in the film
What? 2014's soundtrack is one of my favorite parts of that film and is very noticeable for me.
GO GO GOJI KUN

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I liked Desplat's score in 2014 a lot actually.

When I think of scenes like Godzilla's first appearance, the unleashing of the atomic breath, and Godzilla's triumphant victory and return to the ocean, I think of the music that accompany those scenes.

Oh well.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

G14's theme was almost always building in the film. I legit felt chills and the tension every time the theme played.

Especially the initial build up into the Title card.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri May 24, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

The Battle of Boston is astonishingly good.
. . .

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

_JNavs_ wrote:G14's theme was almost always building in the film. I legit felt chills and the tension every time the theme played.

The 2014 score is terrific and I love it to death. For better or worse that type of score would not work with KOTM. There's almost no building tension in the film its pretty much non stop action from the start.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

cloverfan98 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:G14's theme was almost always building in the film. I legit felt chills and the tension every time the theme played.

The 2014 score is terrific and I love it to death. For better or worse that type of score would not work with KOTM. There's almost no building tension in the film its pretty much non stop action from the start.
Yes, someone who agrees!

The G14 theme was awesome, I love it.

But yeah I don't think it'd fit in KOTM just from what we've seen so far, like you said there's really no time to build tension when monsters are flying left and right.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:

Yes, someone who agrees!

The G14 theme was awesome, I love it.

But yeah I don't think it'd fit in KOTM just from what we've seen so far, like you said there's really no time to build tension when monsters are flying left and right.
I was some what disappointed with the score back in 2014 for not incorporating the classic Ifukube theme but its really grown on me these last few years especially the slow dread filled tracks. I also love David Arnold's score for the 1998 film.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

cloverfan98 wrote: I was some what disappointed with the score back in 2014 for not incorporating the classic Ifukube theme but its really grown on me these last few years especially the slow dread filled tracks. I also love David Arnold's score for the 1998 film.
Yeah, I mean of course the Ifukube theme should've been in there at least once, but I definitely felt the love and soul of it in the G14 theme, the repeating notes with an epic build up akin to the original 54 theme while being so different and unique. It was great.

G98s theme has the commanding presence that can be found in all Godzilla themes, yet also carries a mysterious yet alien vibe similar to the original Predator theme. It also has a pretty epic build up, and actually shares some similarities with the G14 theme surprisingly. The operatic voices in the background definitely give it a really epic vibe that sadly falls short in the presence of "Zilla" himself.