Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

NateZilla10000 wrote:Well those two statements directly contradict each other. It's not like opening sequences/end sequences like that are quick to make; they would have needed to plan what was going to be in them months in advance, not made a switch on a dime. Besides, it's not like it's the only franchise to shake up its formula for end credits and opening credits. At the end of the day, it's not a loss at all.
Alright, here's the clip. https://youtu.be/gqrsrh-S524 at 6:10. If they contradict each other, maybe I didn't put it all together right the first time. "Halfway through post production," he says. The news stories in the ending would not have been in the opening, because that wouldn't make sense within the movie itself. It was originally intended to set up the events of the movie, not to conclude them, and so that was edited halfway through post. Post production for this film was about 14 months. I'm doubling down: the Main Title track would have been great if we had opening credits and a main title, and the Blue Oyster Cult cover would've been better in the spot given to Bear McCreary's rendition. Just my thoughts.
NateZilla10000 wrote:I'm well aware that Mothra's song was written by Yuji Koseki. But my point stands: the two tracks that heavily borrow from other artists are still called what they were originally called by those artists. This whole "main title" thing might not refer to the main titles of this movie at all and instead just refer to Akira Ifukube's track "Godzilla Main Titles"
That was a relatively unrelated comment. My bad for not further distinguishing my comment from our discussion. I was just saying that I enjoyed the decision to use the 1961 Mothra Song. And I get what you're saying, but I guess I'll hold onto my thoughts that this film should have had a distinct opening title to keep with the series "tradition," regardless of track names. While it's not the only film series that does this, the MonsterVerse hasn't established a truly solid foundation as of yet, as it continues to break formula in each film and comic. Consistency is appreciated, as I said before. Get the audience familiar with the series, instead of breaking from familiarity.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

NateZilla10000
Monsterland Worker

Post by NateZilla10000 »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Alright, here's the clip. https://youtu.be/gqrsrh-S524 at 6:10. If they contradict each other, maybe I didn't put it all together right the first time. "Halfway through post production," he says. The news stories in the ending would not have been in the opening, because that wouldn't make sense within the movie itself. It was originally intended to set up the events of the movie, not to conclude them, and so that was edited halfway through post. Post production for this film was about 14 months. I'm doubling down: the Main Title track would have been great if we had opening credits and a main title, and the Blue Oyster Cult cover would've been better in the spot given to Bear McCreary's rendition. Just my thoughts.
Well there you go. He implies in the interview that it was more of a decision of the studio (as it's more of a trend of the modern era to have flashy end titles than flashy main titles) and that he himself said he felt it was more fitting to not end on such a hard cut cliff hanger and have a small epilogue. I'm doubling down too: what's the loss? You still hear McCreary's rendition of the Ifukube theme throughout the entire movie, march and theme and all, and the blot out credits still exist; they're just at the end instead of the beginning. That's not a huge change at all and hardly "breaks a formula."
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:While it's not the only film series that does this, the MonsterVerse hasn't established a truly solid foundation as of yet, as it continues to break formula in each film and comic. Consistency is appreciated, as I said before. Get the audience familiar with the series, instead of breaking from familiarity.
That first sentence contradicts itself again. If the MonsterVerse hasn't, in your opinion, established a truly solid foundation as of yet, how can it break its own formula? It would need to have an established formula in order to break it. And again, the blot out credits are still there. Placing them at the end instead of the beginning isn't a dramatic change at all.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

NateZilla10000 wrote:Well there you go. He implies in the interview that it was more of a decision of the studio (as it's more of a trend of the modern era to have flashy end titles than flashy main titles) and that he himself said he felt it was more fitting to not end on such a hard cut cliff hanger and have a small epilogue. I'm doubling down too: what's the loss? You still hear McCreary's rendition of the Ifukube theme throughout the entire movie, march and theme and all, and the blot out credits still exist; they're just at the end instead of the beginning. That's not a huge change at all and hardly "breaks a formula."
The two films before this have opening titles. It is a change, although it's importance is subjective. It's silly reasoning to get rid of something so simple and effective, in my opinion. Both previous films end on a high note without needing a repurposed credits sequence. A title track is nice with an actual title, but okay, let's agree to disagree here. I prefer opening credits and titles. It's what I grew up with. You don't care for them, evidently. Let's move on, because we're going in circles here over something relatively trivial.
NateZilla10000 wrote:That first sentence contradicts itself again. If the MonsterVerse hasn't, in your opinion, established a truly solid foundation as of yet, how can it break its own formula? It would need to have an established formula in order to break it. And again, the blot out credits are still there. Placing them at the end instead of the beginning isn't a dramatic change at all.
No, it really doesn't. I didn't think I needed to go completely in depth about this, but okay. One thing that strings "Godzilla" and "Kong: Skull Island" together, besides Monarch, giant monsters, and a few hints at the former from the latter, is the simplest thing: The opening title. As simple as it is, the two have that in common, and go for a similar presentation within that shared aspect. They present the Monarch logo, the time period, and the world in which the story takes place, effectively stringing them together. The two films are completely different though, tonally and aesthetically (no solid formula as stated). There are some strange contradictions within the canon between the two as well. With Godzilla: King of the Monsters, the general audience still doesn’t seem to see a connection between these films as a series like most would with, for example, the Avengers or MCU films (which accomplish this with returning characters, decently connected plots, title cards, familiar scores). This movie thrusts the contents upon the viewer before fully establishing the connection to the previous two. Sure, for a fan, it would be easy to see a connection in the beginning scene of San Francisco, and fans have followed this series. For a first time viewer of this series, or someone who needs a refresher (or having only seen Kong), no, it's not as apparent. So yes, it may seem small, but it goes a long way. Why do "main on ends" and a title card at the end when you should tell viewers what they're going to see? If I popped the Bluray in without telling anyone anything, all they'd know is that it's a Godzilla movie, not a sequel film. Some people thought it was a reboot, and even if that seems strange considering the San Francisco bit, the movie does nothing in the opening to say otherwise.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Not Godzilla related but Bear McCreary is such a beast. I hope he returns for Godzilla vs Kong

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Did you see his breakdown of the soundtrack in his blog? http://www.bearmccreary.com/#blog/blog/ ... -monsters/

We need to have his music return in the Monsterverse! Every one of his tracks does the franchise justice in my opinion and I have zero doubt that he'll make soundtracks just as memorable and awe inspiring if he's brought in for the future Monsterverse movies.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

hope McCreary comes back for Godzilla 3 if it gets made
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

I’m still holding out hope for Desplat to come back. As unlikely as that may be.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

While I feel kinda "eh" on Desplat's G14 score (just to clarify, I still like it), I definitely won't mind him coming back someday. The main theme he composed for G14 was absolutely epic (one of my favorite G-themes besides the Godzilla march and Oshima's theme), and I liked some of the small bits during the SF battle (which unfortunately didn't make it to the ost). If he can produce a score that mirrors it but has more of those impactful and memorable tracks, i'm all for him scoring another one :)
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

McCreary should do every Godzilla film score from now on, that's how much his KOTM score impressed me

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Gojira18 wrote:McCreary should do every Godzilla film score from now on, that's how much his KOTM score impressed me
220%. His score for KOTM was incredible.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Honestly while the visuals were very impressive, I think this is the first time the music impressed me more than the visuals in a spectacle. What the sound equivalent to spectacle? That's what the soundtrack was to me.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Stop and drop what you're doing, everyone! An awesome singer has made a much needed fan edit to KotM's Mothra theme!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3c0to8hynqro ... K.wav?dl=0

It's ridiculously awesome!
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Stop and drop what you're doing, everyone! An awesome singer has made a much needed fan edit to KotM's Mothra theme!

i knew the song was missing something... Truly epic!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Except for a couple instances the score barely even registered to me. Then again that's a problem I've had with all the MonsterVerse films so far.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Stop and drop what you're doing, everyone! An awesome singer has made a much needed fan edit to KotM's Mothra theme!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Holy smokes, this is fantastic! I already thought the KOTM version of Mothra's song is majestic and beautiful, but hot damn the vocals and classic lyrics do wonders enhancing it by a thousand. Major props to the singer :)
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzilla 2019 theme but it's metal.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

I'm...I'm speechless. I'm in tears! I salute the magnificent singer who made this! May Mothra bless her with divine grace!
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Here are the lyrics to, “Goodbye old friend”. They’re in old Babylonian:

Goodbye Old Friend
Your peaceful breath slows,
Your eyes gaze upon your world
I offer to you
My strength

Goodbye Old Friend
My hand reaches forth,
Striving for divinity
I offer to you
My love

Goodbye Old Friend
At the steps of your kingdom,
We become one
I offer to you
My life”

#BotM

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Godzilla165 wrote:Here are the lyrics to, “Goodbye old friend”. They’re in old Babylonian:

Goodbye Old Friend
Your peaceful breath slows,
Your eyes gaze upon your world
I offer to you
My strength

Goodbye Old Friend
My hand reaches forth,
Striving for divinity
I offer to you
My love

Goodbye Old Friend
At the steps of your kingdom,
We become one
I offer to you
My life”
So basically Dr. Serizawa did a Namekian Fusion with Godzilla through nuke.

Jokes aside, the lyrics and language fit so well! Bear McCreary really made a soundtrack that would have made Ifukube proud. The meanings behind the soundtracks are just as amazing as the tracks themselves.