Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

Post by Tyrant28 »

Mothra’s leitmotif in the latter half of Battle in Boston definitely my most favorite out of all of the 5 tracks I’ve listen to so far.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

I'm really loving the end of King of the Monsters, which shares the Memories of San Francisco motif. I love it. Classic Bear.
Last edited by M.U.T.O. on Sat May 25, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I’ve listened to some tracks 10 times already.

Bear, you killed it man. Great job!
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I hear a theme in Rodan's theme that I've heard before, I can't place my finger on where though.. Was it in his original theme?

I hear MoS in there too which is so cool.

Added in 55 minutes 42 seconds:
Would it be heresy to like Bear McCreary's tracks a bit more than some of the originals?

Rise of Ghidorah, Ghidorah, Rodan, Mothra and Godzilla all stand out to me. Specifically Ghidorah's as "better" than the OG.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

There's some cool composition here like the chanting, the percussion and KG's vocals, but there's not much in terms of memorable melodies which is what made Ifukube's music so great. In fact I'm a little disappointed that in this brand new movie, the melodies that stick with you the most are Godzilla and Mothra's old themes. It's very "modern blockbuster soundtrack" in that sense. Maybe the way certain tracks are utilized in the movie itself will make me see them in a different light, but that's how I'm feeling about it right now.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I think the Rodan track is magic. Borderline better than the original

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Original as in from the original film or the so called Rodan theme from the later films? Personally I think the original Rodan main theme is one of Ifukube's coolest pieces. I really like how dark and foreboding it is. Funny watching part of the newest episode of Agents of SHIELD McCreary seems to be ripping off Stranger Things a bit.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sat May 25, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

Quote from an interview with Bear regarding the BOC remix:
Another story I’d want to tell is what happened after the single came out, what, 10 days ago? I got a phone call, from Buck Dharma, the guy who WROTE the song, the guy from Blue Oyster Cult! And he called me, so grateful, so happy, so curious! In like 30 seconds, he was asking me about the mix. ‘How did you do those choirs’, ‘who was the guitarist?’ and he never thought the day would come when that song would be in a Godzilla movie. It’d been 40 years! To get that validation from him, he said ‘you made the song your own, but you preserved it, you kept every thing that mattered in the song’. And we’ve communicated a lot after that, which has been incredible. I mean in high school, I LOVED Blue Oyster Cult. It was so great everyone has resonated with the song. But to get that call from Buck, that was everything. The ultimate creative prize, and probably my most cherished memory of scoring Godzilla.
Source: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05/24 ... -interview
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Love it! :)
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

_JNavs_ wrote:I hear a theme in Rodan's theme that I've heard before, I can't place my finger on where though.. Was it in his original theme?

I hear MoS in there too which is so cool.

Added in 55 minutes 42 seconds:
Would it be heresy to like Bear McCreary's tracks a bit more than some of the originals?

Rise of Ghidorah, Ghidorah, Rodan, Mothra and Godzilla all stand out to me. Specifically Ghidorah's as "better" than the OG.
I thought I heard some of the Muto's cues in Rodan's theme. Maybe that's it?

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

I’m really sad that the 2014 main theme didn’t return at all.

I completely understand and have no problem that this is McCreary’s score and he can do his own thing with it, I just wanted that theme to represent legendary Godzilla.
GO GO GOJI KUN

EternalMothra
Samurai

Post by EternalMothra »

GoWhaleTours wrote:I’m really sad that the 2014 main theme didn’t return at all.

I completely understand and have no problem that this is McCreary’s score and he can do his own thing with it, I just wanted that theme to represent legendary Godzilla.
I feel like they could have at least included Desplat's theme in the "Memories of San Francisco" track at least.

I finally go around to putting together a video review of the soundtrack if anybody is interested in listening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjoPO8ICbTI

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

Not sure, maybe this has been posted in one of the merchandise threads already, but Waxwork Records is putting out a really cool-looking vinyl version, available to pre-order starting today: https://waxworkrecords.com/blogs/news/g ... e-monsters

goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I really liked how KOTM had some similar music and samples to G14, as well as the original showa era Godzilla. It made everything feel really cohesive and lick.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Unlike 2014 score, I reallly liked this one. Aside from a couple moments, 2014 didn’t do it for me.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

EternalMothra wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote:I’m really sad that the 2014 main theme didn’t return at all.

I feel like they could have at least included Desplat's theme in the "Memories of San Francisco" track at least.
I just listened to the 2014 theme and "Memories of San Francisco" back to back, I could have sworn that I did hear parts of the theme in the theater, but I guess not. I do hear pieces that seem inspired by the theme both in that track and peppered into others. So I don't feel like the completely cut ties with Desplat's score.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Who here got it on CD? Got a few questions. PM me if you did
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

I ended up googling this table of kakegoe words used in taiko because I love their inclusion in this soundtrack! http://wadaikotoshokan.com/?p=29 I don't think all of the words chanted in the soundtrack are in this table though.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

I literally can’t remember any music from this soundtrack besides the classic themes and old rivals (Which I listened to several times before release)

I feel like I can recap the entire 2014 score in my head. It just complimented every scene so well and gave a distinct feeling to the film. The use of Japanese flutes, drums, and chanting especially sticks out to me. That main theme is still amazing and one of the best Godzilla themes ever.

I usually love Bear’s music, but his work for the Cloverfield movies were much better in my opinion.
GO GO GOJI KUN

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

I'm listening to the soundtrack and I feel like I am hearing notes of the God of War soundtrack in here, which Bear also did. I like it.