Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10197
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Living Corpse » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:36 pm

tyrantgoji wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:Ooh, here's mine!

Shin >= KOTM = PR >= K:SI >> Rampage > G14 >>> PR:U >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anime

Shin is totally Kino or whatever it is you kids call it nowadays, no other film has really captured 54's vibe this well

KOTM and PR are both epic, fun and very well done movies. Great tributes to the Kaiju genre that really wowed me with their amazing visuals and giant monster/robot fight choreography. I loved every second of these.

K:SI is both fun and a great movie but not quite as epic. It does have some amazing fight choreography, but the fights aren't really that...grand for lack of a better term. I do really like everything they did with Kong though, the director really managed to make a Kong that belongs in the MV.

Rampage is dumb and bland but at least it's fun. It's a good turn-your-brain-off kaiju movie that shows the monsters throughout the movie and has some good fights, but it's also lighthearted fun that doesn't take itself seriously.

G14 is boring as hell, but the last 5 minutes are kinda worth it I guess. A lot of people loved it, but I find it mostly a snoozefest when the monsters aren't around.

Now, PR:U is fun and all but being fun doesn't save it from being utter crap, and I hate how it poops all over the first entry with what it did to Mako among tons of other things they skreeonked up.

And last and least, the Anime Trilogy. The Absolute worst Godzilla ever. Second only to my berserk button. It's a mind numbingly boring pile of poop with confusing as hell morals, almost zero kaiju action, telling but not showing and letdowns filled to the brim with completely wasted potential. It's only above my berserk button because it's still Godzilla and I don't have a hateboner for it.


You know your hateboner,legally speaking,is still Godzilla right? Toho has confirmed it as such and it's still bundeled with the other Godzilla films.


The letter, not the spirit.
Image

Mordern_Man
Ronin
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:41 am

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Mordern_Man » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:24 pm

G2014> Shin>>> Pacific Rim> Kong> KotM> Rampage>>>>> Anime> Pacific Rim Uprising.

I can see why someone would like Shin more then 2014, and I’d say if you fused them, taking some of the formers political commentary and scope, and the laters craftsmanship and intensity, you’d have the perfect film. However Shin just really looses momentum after the Atomic Breath scene and would have been much better off if that was saved for the last act. That all said, I firmly believe 2014 is not just the best of these films, but quite possibly the best Godzilla film sans the original.

It is perfectly crafted, masterfully paced, and has fantastic commentary and pathos. I could watch it every day of my life and never get bored of it.

User avatar
HannibalBarca
Futurian
Posts: 1545
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 2:55 pm
Location: Atlanta-ish.

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby HannibalBarca » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:37 pm

It's hard for me to rank the Monsterverse stuff because I feel like all three movies have about the same amount of strengths and weaknesses (obviously in very different ways). So I would say something like:

Shin > Monsterverse > Rampage > Parts 2 and 3 of the Anime > Pacific Rim (which I don't really consider a kaiju movie, but that's neither here nor there) > Part 1 of the Anime > Uprising
In my opinion, of course.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6365
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:56 pm

G2000 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:This isn't the thread for it, but that film hasn't aged well at all.


I’m going to have to ask in what ways you think it’s aged poorly
Genuinely curious. I can speculate as to why, but I’d like to hear it from you

It came out at a time where everyone was really desperate for monster/kaiju films. While the middle of the film, is long and a gigantic highlight, the first fight, and a lot of the final underwater fight, are really murky and hard to see and tell what's going on. The kaiju are just there for the Jaegers to dispose of, and to the same extent that`s what all the other Jaegers are for except for Gypsy Danger. Mako Mori is cute, and an alright character, same for Idris Ibla, but the way they act with the main character is painfully dull as he's made out of cardboard. The film's story is also woefully flimsy.

I still love a lot of the film, mainly the world building, the middle fight, and a lot of the films colors and cinematography.

It's good, and it deserves to be recognized as one of the better entries in the genre, but I think it lost it's luster in a post Kong Skull Island, G14 and Shin world. Heck even KOTM.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
kamilleblu
G-Grasper
Posts: 1358
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby kamilleblu » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:22 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Heck even KOTM.

I would take Pacific Rim over KOTM in a heartbeat.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6365
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:53 pm

kamilleblu wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Heck even KOTM.

I would take Pacific Rim over KOTM in a heartbeat.

I agree, PR is a better made film, but I was referring to the luster of a big monster filled movie with lots of fighting no longer exists due to it.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:36 am

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:14 pm

I'd say people are viewing Pacific Rim through the lens of the sequel. I mean, I enjoy Pacific Rim: Uprising. But as a movie it feels more like a generic blockbuster compared to the original which feels more special.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6365
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:I'd say people are viewing Pacific Rim through the lens of the sequel. I mean, I enjoy Pacific Rim: Uprising. But as a movie it feels more like a generic blockbuster compared to the original which feels more special.

To be very clear, I still like PR1 a lot, I just remember when it first came out I was really overwhelmed by it and saw the film in theaters three times in a short span.
I no longer feel the same sense of being overwhelmed, and I can pinpoint the other recent Godzilla and Kong films as why. There was a novelty there I can't explain and the novelty excused the flaws.

I think it's interesting that PRU and KOTM make good parallels to PR1 and G14. Both are noticeably louder and dumber then their predecessors and suffer for similar flaws.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10197
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Living Corpse » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:09 pm

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:I'd say people are viewing Pacific Rim through the lens of the sequel. I mean, I enjoy Pacific Rim: Uprising. But as a movie it feels more like a generic blockbuster compared to the original which feels more special.


Agreed. PR:U actually pissed me off in how generic, forgettable blockbuster-y it felt. Saw it once, don't really have a desire to watch it again.
Image

User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11822
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby miguelnuva » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:48 pm

MrRockett wrote:Well done, differing opinions yet nobody arguing. I like it!
My list:
KOTM
PRIM
K:SI
G14
Shin
PRU
Ani x3

I’ve seen each several times, except the trilogy since once was enough for me, just didn’t click though I applaud the effort.

I’m now comfortable having digested all the movies, KOTM in the end seemed most like a Godzilla movie, decent plot and humans, good monster fights with creatures with personality and just a touch of silly,

PAC Rim, same thing as above with fun visuals, serious but doesn’t take itself too serious or dark, again a Japanese Monster/mech film in spirit.

K:SI was a visual movie, but it had more of a monster meets Spaghetti Western feel, not as much Asian influence which I liked because it had its own substance.

G14 was a proper reintroduction to Godzilla for the west, giving him character and apparent purpose, sadly a bit too little in the monster fight department but I was quite pleased with it as a reboot.

Shin was strange for me, decent story, odd but interesting take on Godzilla and a nice upgrade for a Toho production but not one I seek to watch.

PRU was Saturday morning cartoons meets live action. Downgrade from PRIM but ok for what it is.

Animated trilogy, so much potential, but too abstract for its own good.


You stole my list lol, I feel mostly the same way here.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

dillonking55
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby dillonking55 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:26 pm

MrRockett wrote:Well done, differing opinions yet nobody arguing. I like it!
My list:
KOTM
PRIM
K:SI
G14
Shin
PRU
Ani x3

I’ve seen each several times, except the trilogy since once was enough for me, just didn’t click though I applaud the effort.

I’m now comfortable having digested all the movies, KOTM in the end seemed most like a Godzilla movie, decent plot and humans, good monster fights with creatures with personality and just a touch of silly,

PAC Rim, same thing as above with fun visuals, serious but doesn’t take itself too serious or dark, again a Japanese Monster/mech film in spirit.

K:SI was a visual movie, but it had more of a monster meets Spaghetti Western feel, not as much Asian influence which I liked because it had its own substance.

G14 was a proper reintroduction to Godzilla for the west, giving him character and apparent purpose, sadly a bit too little in the monster fight department but I was quite pleased with it as a reboot.

Shin was strange for me, decent story, odd but interesting take on Godzilla and a nice upgrade for a Togo production but not one I seek to watch.

PRU was Saturday morning cartoons meets live action. Downgrade from PRIM but ok for what it is.

Animated trilogy, so much potential, but too abstract for its own good.


Wow! My list would be exactly the same as this & for the same reasons. The recent Toho efforts have done nothing for me & I absolutely adore the MonsterVerse films.

User avatar
ManuJM1997
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 962
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:01 am
Location: My parents basement

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby ManuJM1997 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:28 am

Shin>Godzilla 2014>Pacific Rim>KOTM>KSI>Rampage>Anime Trilogy>>>>Uprising

At least, that's from critical standpoint.

Enjoyment watching?

Pacific Rim>KOTM>Shin>G14>KSI>Rampage>Uprising>>>>Anime Trilogy
Last edited by ManuJM1997 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
JesstrK wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:Ahhh the Godzilla vs Kong thread, my favorite place to discuss A Quiet Place

I know, right? There's like a whole page dedicated to it! I sure am glad I stumbled into the Godzilla vs Kong thread out of idle curiosity, I was beginning to think I'd never find a place to talk about A Quiet Place. Maybe they should just cancel GvK altogether so we can all go see A Quiet Place 2 and discuss that here come March 2020?

User avatar
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 am

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby GuardianGhido » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:16 am

Living Corpse wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:Ooh, here's mine!

Shin >= KOTM = PR >= K:SI >> Rampage > G14 >>> PR:U >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anime

Shin is totally Kino or whatever it is you kids call it nowadays, no other film has really captured 54's vibe this well

KOTM and PR are both epic, fun and very well done movies. Great tributes to the Kaiju genre that really wowed me with their amazing visuals and giant monster/robot fight choreography. I loved every second of these.

K:SI is both fun and a great movie but not quite as epic. It does have some amazing fight choreography, but the fights aren't really that...grand for lack of a better term. I do really like everything they did with Kong though, the director really managed to make a Kong that belongs in the MV.

Rampage is dumb and bland but at least it's fun. It's a good turn-your-brain-off kaiju movie that shows the monsters throughout the movie and has some good fights, but it's also lighthearted fun that doesn't take itself seriously.

G14 is boring as hell, but the last 5 minutes are kinda worth it I guess. A lot of people loved it, but I find it mostly a snoozefest when the monsters aren't around.

Now, PR:U is fun and all but being fun doesn't save it from being utter crap, and I hate how it poops all over the first entry with what it did to Mako among tons of other things they skreeonked up.

And last and least, the Anime Trilogy. The Absolute worst Godzilla ever. Second only to my berserk button. It's a mind numbingly boring pile of poop with confusing as hell morals, almost zero kaiju action, telling but not showing and letdowns filled to the brim with completely wasted potential. It's only above my berserk button because it's still Godzilla and I don't have a hateboner for it.


You know your hateboner,legally speaking,is still Godzilla right? Toho has confirmed it as such and it's still bundeled with the other Godzilla films.


The letter, not the spirit.

Yeah pretty much this. Thanks LC for stating my reasoning in a far less profane way then I would have. I was about to explode but this kinda calmed me down. Glad to know others understand where my irrational hatred stems from.


The thing is, despite how horrible AnimeGoji is, you can tell that it's Godzilla without any sort of namedrop. He doesn't even have the standard qualities of being a radioactive reptilian monster (he's some plant creature that showed up out of nowhere who's just invincible to nukes but not explicitly nuclear, heck his breath is electromagnetic or something and not atomic) but from the way he's portrayed, you can still tell that he is indeed Godzilla. The iguana on the other hand is indeed Godzilla In Name Only. It's like if the Predator was named Godzilla and the movie was touted around as a Godzilla movie or something. The tunahead might have some of the necessary Godzilla characteristics, but they're just there to push the point that "THIS IS TOTALLY GODZILLA GUYZ" and it in no way carries the spirit of the character as a nigh-unstoppable giant monster that brings humanity to it's knees and brings about a moment of true desperation that may or may not defeat him (TV Tropes calls it the "Godzilla Threshold"). The fish-eater is more like one of the monsters in Rampage and is easily dispatched by the military. It even lays eggs and creates a Jurassic Park slash Aliens plot which in no way fits the Godzilla spirit IMO. Sure Toho might begrudginly consider that abomination part of the Godzilla franchise for some reason, but that doesn't mean I'll accept it or that it's deserving of it's position amongs the true Godzillas.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14042
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:29 am

Image

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10197
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Living Corpse » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:09 pm

GuardianGhido wrote:Angry GuardianGhido noises


You know you could have just sum it up as even Godzilla himself doesn't like G'98 and be done. No seriously, Hurricane Ryu walked out on G'98 saying it didn't have the spirit and Chris has a pic of Haruo Nakajima sticking his tongue out at G'98's figure. ;)

Personally I'm past it now, it's a part of Godzilla's history, oh well. I'm just annoyed it gets brought up anytime I talk to people about King of the Monsters, like damn, I know some people found G2014 forgettable but to remember a movie made in 1998 before it?
Image

Online
User avatar
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2150
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Halley's Comet.

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby tyrantgoji » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:17 pm

Living Corpse wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:Angry GuardianGhido noises


You know you could have just sum it up as even Godzilla himself doesn't like G'98 and be done. No seriously, Hurricane Ryu walked out on G'98 saying it didn't have the spirit and Chris has a pic of Haruo Nakajima sticking his tongue out at G'98's figure. ;)

Personally I'm past it now, it's a part of Godzilla's history, oh well. I'm just annoyed it gets brought up anytime I talk to people about King of the Monsters, like damn, I know some people found G2014 forgettable but to remember a movie made in 1998 before it?


TBF,once you do watch 98,it's really hard to forget it! :lol: It's just THAT fun to watch and nothing is gonna change that for me.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Terasawa » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Living Corpse wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:Angry GuardianGhido noises


You know you could have just sum it up as even Godzilla himself doesn't like G'98 and be done. No seriously, Hurricane Ryu walked out on G'98 saying it didn't have the spirit and Chris has a pic of Haruo Nakajima sticking his tongue out at G'98's figure. ;)

Personally I'm past it now, it's a part of Godzilla's history, oh well. I'm just annoyed it gets brought up anytime I talk to people about King of the Monsters, like damn, I know some people found G2014 forgettable but to remember a movie made in 1998 before it?


Kenpachiro Satsuma was the one that walked out of the ‘98 screening. Hurricane Ryu never played Godzilla.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer
Posts: 9374
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:26 pm

He played A Godzilla but not THE Godzilla.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image

User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11822
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby miguelnuva » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:51 pm

Say what you want about G98 but Toonzilla earned the name.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 am

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby GuardianGhido » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:00 am

miguelnuva wrote:Say what you want about G98 but Toonzilla earned the name.

I agree. ToonZilla was a Godzilla. Heck, even SnickersGoji was a Godzilla. G98 though is NOT GODZILLA. AND THAT IS THE OBJECTIVE TRUTH.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests