Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:02 am

Even up close the CG was Aces.
Sith Apprentice.

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:29 am

I've been thinking about it, and I feel like my biggest issue with the monsterverse films in general, even though I've really enjoyed all of them, is a lack of balance:

Godzilla: it's a consistent film with it's character and story, but it drags. While I enjoy the slow burn and teases, I feel that it was a bit overdone at times.

Skull Island: Fun film, lighter than Godzilla, and more emphasis on the monster action. But I felt like I was watching multiple different movies: horror movie about people stuck on an island with monsters, "The Old Man and The Sea" with Sam JAckson vs. Kong, or a Vietnam film about lost soldiers trying to get home. It's super uneven.

King of the Monsters: Great action and spectacle, but trying to jam too much in at once. 1000 subplots, with things happening at a random pace giving us no time to breath and completely overcompensating for the fact that people complained about "not enoguh Godzilla", which I always felt was a misdirected and misunderstood complaint.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:45 am

I still think Kong: Skull Island is not only the strongest MonsterVerse film so far but one of the strongest kaiju films of this new "Resurgence Era" we're in. While YMMV on script and story, I think it's got the greatest sense of style out of all of them. It's "house-of-horrors" elements really emphasize the anything-can-happen nature of Skull Island and its 'Namsploitation setting is really unique.

For me at least, I'm more keen on films with a strong technical element than a narrative one.

G14 is a great visual film with lots of well-made shots and VFX but it just falls completely flat in regards to its script. KOTM is kind of all over the place, I don't think there's anything more I can add that you didn't already say.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

LockBite
Interpol Agent

Postby LockBite » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:46 am

It’s kind of baffling that there wasn’t any kind of scene establishing the Oxygen Destroyer. Have Stenz and Serizawa walk into some bunker with it and have a little back-and-forth. “If things get too ugly, we’re launching this.” “If you do that, it’ll only get uglier.” I dunno, SOMETHING. It’s hard to believe that an established corporation would allow such an obvious storytelling gaffe to make it into production.

By extension, it feels like there should’ve been a showdown between Stenz and Ghidorah. Stenz could’ve embraced his death with dignity and humility, knowing he should have never taken out Godzilla, and feeling absolved of that catastrophic mistake. This would’ve added more action and pathos to the film, while also expanding the scope beyond the family and Monarch.
Last edited by LockBite on Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:12 am

UltramanGoji wrote:I still think Kong: Skull Island is not only the strongest MonsterVerse film so far but one of the strongest kaiju films of this new "Resurgence Era" we're in. While YMMV on script and story, I think it's got the greatest sense of style out of all of them. It's "house-of-horrors" elements really emphasize the anything-can-happen nature of Skull Island and its 'Namsploitation setting is really unique.

For me at least, I'm more keen on films with a strong technical element than a narrative one.

G14 is a great visual film with lots of well-made shots and VFX but it just falls completely flat in regards to its script. KOTM is kind of all over the place, I don't think there's anything more I can add that you didn't already say.

I definitely agree with you there. My biggest issue with Kong is that it's a little uneven, so that's what throws me off, but not much I can add to or disagree with.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Postby vibramrunner » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:38 am

KingKaiju wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I still think Kong: Skull Island is not only the strongest MonsterVerse film so far but one of the strongest kaiju films of this new "Resurgence Era" we're in. While YMMV on script and story, I think it's got the greatest sense of style out of all of them. It's "house-of-horrors" elements really emphasize the anything-can-happen nature of Skull Island and its 'Namsploitation setting is really unique.

I definitely agree with you there. My biggest issue with Kong is that it's a little uneven, so that's what throws me off, but not much I can add to or disagree with.

I agree with the opinions above as well. Well said.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:20 pm

You know, I didn't even realize it till you said so, but yeah. K:SI is tied with Pacific Rim 1 and Shin as the best kaiju movies for me out of this decade. As much fun as I had with KOTM I can't say it's in the top 3 for me. I liked KOTM, I just didn't love it.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:26 pm

I would say KSI is better then PR1. PR1 feels like there's three big set pieces, with the middle being the best part of the film. The human characters were really boring in PR1. KSI had a consistent ramp up, and John C Reilly, Sam Jackson, and John Goodman all had moments. The film had a lot of good camera work and shots, and felt appropriately horrific when it needed to, but also was just fun.

As it stands:
Shin>KSI>G14/PR>ANI Trilogy>KOTM>PRU.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:46 pm

KOTM>PRIM>SHIN>KSI>PRIM2>G14>ANI

Enough Said

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:55 pm

G14>KOTM>KSI>Shin>PacRim>Anime

Pac Rim Uprising doesn't even feel like a kaiju flick so i won't count it within the Kaiju Resurgence.
Sith Apprentice.

Gojira2K
Futurian

Postby Gojira2K » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Well, since were putting our rankings, might as well put mine in the mix.

KOTM=G14>Shin=KSI>PacificRim>PacificRimUprising>AnimeTrilogy
Last edited by Gojira2K on Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?

Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there

TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:

Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*

*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:02 pm

Shin and to a lesser degree G14 were the only two I liked, and I’m not really interested in watching either very often (both once on video since their theatrical runs). Haven’t seen KSI or the second PR and honestly not very interested in the former and not at all motivated to see the latter.

AniGoji and KOTM make up four of my bottom five Godzillas and I thought PacRim was horrible.

Not that anyone cares.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Moogabunga
G-Grasper

Postby Moogabunga » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:06 pm

Well the definitive, accurate listing is of course mine;

1) Godzilla (2014)
2) Shin Godzilla
3) Godzilla: King of the Monsters
4) Kong: Skull Island
5) Anime Trilogy
6) Pacific Rim
7) Pacific Rim: Uprising

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:21 pm

I know I'm one of the very few that legitimately enjoyed PRU. Absolutely love everything regarding Obsidian Fury.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Godzilla21
Keizer

Postby Godzilla21 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:31 pm

Terasawa wrote: Haven’t seen KSI

You really should give it a shot. Can't hurt
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Shin = PR > KSI > G14 > KOTM > Colossal > Rampage > Anime Trilogy > PRU

I included Colossal and Rampage because I consider them part of this resurgence as well.

Re: PR, I think a lot of people are sleeping on it. The characters aren't nearly as poorly written as some may think. Mako's arc is probably the greatest out of any character among this list and the rest of the cast are all enjoyable enough on their own. Even Raleigh who some dislike is still far more tolerable and likeable than Haruo, Ford Brody, and definitely any of the cast from PRU. The side characters like Herc and Chuck, Stacker, and especially Hermann and Newt all get their own moments to shine and grow throughout the film. The visual design is fantastic, especially the different designs for each Jaeger and the color throughout the film. And the animation philosophies give each giant character a great sense of scale and weight, something that hasn't been done in kaiju cinema for a long time now. Can't forget that great musical score by Ramin Djawadi.

Maybe it's just my thorough reading of the art book that put all this in my head, but I think PR is genuinely top-tier when it comes to this new era. Part of me believes the abysmal sequel gave people the wrong idea about the original but I know that's likely not the case.

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Absolutely love everything regarding Obsidian Fury.

But there was absolutely nothing to it so I'm not sure how you can "love everything" about it? Cool design, yeah, but it's a complete nothing of a character.

Godzilla21 wrote:

I second this. Like I said in an earlier post, it's a great visual treat and love letter to monster films and war flicks like Apocalypse Now.

Dynomy-DX
Samurai

Postby Dynomy-DX » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:38 pm

Well, while we’re ranking...

1. KOTM
2. Pacific Rim/Kong Skull Island
3. Godzilla (2014)
4. Shin Godzilla
5. Anime trilogy
6. Pacific Rim: Uprising
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:43 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:

I second this. Like I said in an earlier post, it's a great visual treat and love letter to monster films and war flicks like Apocalypse Now.

I have it on my DVR. I was planning on watching it before KOTM but couldn't find the time. And then my disappointment with KOTM squashed my interest in Kong. Yeah, that's unfair, but that's how it worked out. I'll get around to it eventually.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:53 pm

Terasawa wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:

I have it on my DVR. I was planning on watching it before KOTM but couldn't find the time. And then my disappointment with KOTM squashed my interest in Kong. Yeah, that's unfair, but that's how it worked out. I'll get around to it eventually.

It's a fun "Hollywood" film in a good way. It's full of action, and nicely stylized, but not overtly obnoxious or childish. There's a lot of homages to a lot of horror and war films that you would enjoy. Some nice sets and cinematography as well. It also doesn't try to be overly EPIC and world shattering like KOTM.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Postby Godzilla21 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:55 pm

Terasawa wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:

You really shouldn't hold KOTM against Kong. They are plenty different. Just try to watch it before GvK.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”