Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
GuardianGhido
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby GuardianGhido » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:24 am

Dv-218 wrote:
Godzilla165 wrote:Hopefully they don’t change his design, as aside from the shorter tail, I think Godzilla looks nigh perfect in KotM. Plus, depending on how soon Godzilla vs Kong takes place after its predecessor, a design change wouldn’t make too much sense.

Agreed. Honestly the KOTM design is everything I wished for in a modernized Godzilla, a perfect blend of old and new. Not to mention, as you said, GvK will happen soon after KOTM, and nothing really happened that could make his design change radically.

But, as LivingCorpse said, it's very likely that they will slightly tweak it in some areas just to excuse more figures being made lol. I wouldn't mind seeing something minor but noticeable, perhaps a scar here and there (would look pretty badass). Maybe make his tail slightly longer.

He'll probably keep the scar over that chunk of flesh missing near his eye and one thing I'd really like would be for his spines to turn bone-white, justified by the Burning Nuclear Pulses somehow changing their color, maybe burning off an outer carapace and leaving only bones for the spikes?
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:
Valkanai wrote:Bad luck had absolutely everything to do with those numbers, and denying that is just kind of being a hater.

You heard it here folks, if you have ANY criticisms towards this movie at all, you’re a bonafide Hater

That's... not what he said, dude.

Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dv-218 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:32 am

GuardianGhido wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Godzilla165 wrote:Hopefully they don’t change his design, as aside from the shorter tail, I think Godzilla looks nigh perfect in KotM. Plus, depending on how soon Godzilla vs Kong takes place after its predecessor, a design change wouldn’t make too much sense.

Agreed. Honestly the KOTM design is everything I wished for in a modernized Godzilla, a perfect blend of old and new. Not to mention, as you said, GvK will happen soon after KOTM, and nothing really happened that could make his design change radically.

But, as LivingCorpse said, it's very likely that they will slightly tweak it in some areas just to excuse more figures being made lol. I wouldn't mind seeing something minor but noticeable, perhaps a scar here and there (would look pretty badass). Maybe make his tail slightly longer.

He'll probably keep the scar over that chunk of flesh missing near his eye and one thing I'd really like would be for his spines to turn bone-white, justified by the Burning Nuclear Pulses somehow changing their color, maybe burning off an outer carapace and leaving only bones for the spikes?

Oh right, forgot about the forehead scar he had during the ending scene. Yeah I imagine they'll probably keep it just to further the "hardened, badass warrior" aspect with him.
Although I don't have a problem with the monotone plates, something in the vein of what you described would be pretty neat. Perhaps have the edges of his spines bone-white with the base/center being grayish, kinda like the Heisei suits and some of the Showa ones. Would make for a rather striking visual appearance imo.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper

Postby gottatalktothefake » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:02 am

His design is fine. We don’t need his spines to change color to take away some more of his uniqueness
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dv-218 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:33 am

Yeah, honestly fine with the spines being the way they are too. I really like the rune-like patterns on them that shine when he charges.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:53 am

I actually like the idea of his spines having a constant faint glow.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Sonic
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Sonic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:21 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I actually like the idea of his spines having a constant faint glow.

yes its very unique.

FinalSmash1689
Ronin

Postby FinalSmash1689 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:33 pm

Sonic wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I actually like the idea of his spines having a constant faint glow.

yes its very unique.

I do too!!! I think it would be a constant reminder of Godzilla's duality; being that he is a very unique creature yet beyond dangerous!!!

GuardianGhido
Interpol Agent

Postby GuardianGhido » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:38 pm

Dv-218 wrote:Yeah, honestly fine with the spines being the way they are too. I really like the rune-like patterns on them that shine when he charges.

Yeah those are pretty good. Also love his "Intimidation Display" thing. It would have been a really cool shot to have him standing in the middle of a grounded pitch black storm cloud and illuminating the area with his Intimidation Display. The first few flashes would show nothing but then another flash happens and BOOM, King Ghidorah's right there! Would've been cool.
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:
Valkanai wrote:Bad luck had absolutely everything to do with those numbers, and denying that is just kind of being a hater.

You heard it here folks, if you have ANY criticisms towards this movie at all, you’re a bonafide Hater

That's... not what he said, dude.

MegaEvilSaurus666
Interpol Agent

Postby MegaEvilSaurus666 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:07 pm

The only things I'd change for 2020 is the head size, and in general, neck proportions. On occasion, the width of Godzilla's head to shoulder area is excessively wide. His neck is massive in the scenes where he arrives in Boston, and it just looks bizarre. It could be the shoulders, I don't know. His tail is also sort of short for my liking, I feel like they should have left it alone.

Very minor changes to the dorsal plates' shapes would be alright. I used to think that the dorsal plates could be used as a form of identification between individuals of his species, looking at it from a biological perspective, but nope.

I'd prefer that Legendary's Godzilla wouldn't become an imitation of the Toho Godzilla. White on his dorsal plates isn't necessary, because for a time, this particular Godzilla was something new. While some people may have had their issues with it, the 2014 design was pretty well thought out. It's recognizable as Godzilla almost immediately from the silhouette alone, but without looking exactly like any other design previously created. Multiple areas of Godzilla's design are completely different from many predecessors, but yet manage to stay true to the idea of what Godzilla is. The 2019 design didn't just draw inspiration from the previous designs, but instead copy-pasted some of Godzilla 1954's dorsal plates, blunted the tail tip to something akin to Showa era designs, and changed the feet to where they nearly resemble those of the 2001 design. Just based upon the silhouette, this 2019 Godzilla is kind of less of a standout. I like the design a lot and the changes aren't inherently bad, but simply based upon uniqueness and from a creative perspective, it has some drawbacks. The 2020 changes shouldn't be drastic, and probably shouldn't dive deeper into making Godzilla into a Toho copy.

Living Corpse
Keizer

Postby Living Corpse » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:23 pm

Bone white + constant glow = classic and new.

gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper

Postby gottatalktothefake » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:30 pm

So I've been posting this around in order to find a community consensus. So I figured I'd post it here. https://youpoll.me/15460/
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper

Postby daveblackeye15 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:00 pm

Did I enjoy it? Yes!
Rating: 8/10
Though honestly don't know what it'd take to get to a nine. Maybe even better characters? I'm excited to see it looks like Dr. Chen is part of the cast list for Godzilla vs. Kong.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:49 pm

I gave it a 5. It does not deserve any less but at the same time I don't know, I just don't feel confident enough to rate it any higher. Then again I would have initially rated KSI a 5 but after my 2nd viewing I'd probably give it a 7. So who knows my opinion could easily change after it comes out on home video.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper

Postby daveblackeye15 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:36 am

Welp I did it. Made it nine viewings. Just like I did for Pacific Rim and the 2014 Godzilla. Hey those other two were back when I had a cheap theater that would play them for several months extra.

I really appreciate that kids in the Monsterverse...do not have a good time with monsters around typically.
School bus of kids in Godzilla 2014? Freaking out as the military shoots at Godzilla on the bridge.
Madison is clearly afraid of larvae Mothra hurting her mom though this ends up being a good encounter.
Kid almost gets sucked away as Rodan flies over. Not having a good time before that either during the evacuation.
Madison doesn't have fun trying to run away from King Ghidorah. She's happy when Godzilla shows up but realizes that it is not a good idea to be underfoot. And when it gets really bad with Godzilla and Ghidorah fighting on the ground and Mothra and Rodan in the air she's freaking out.

I keep remembering that moment in the first Bayformers where Prime and Bonecrusher are fighting right in front of a kid and his mom in a car on a highway and he's all 'COOL MOM!'

Thegarbagemonster
Samurai

Postby Thegarbagemonster » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:03 pm

I saw the movie a second time, this time with a friend who's only contact with Godzilla has been through the 2014 movie and one of the playstation games many years ago. He says he'd give it an 8.5/10 (he's pretty harsh on movies so that's an excellent score...) and I loved seeing his reactions.

There were also children in the theatre, and it was somewhat annoying because they talked constantly, and I was already annoyed due to the guy behind me having his shoes up on the back of our seats. But it was nice to hear them get audibly excited at the monsters. They also seemed to have a good grasp of the movies of the past, too, they even were talking about rodan passing on the fire to godzilla in GvMGII. Cool!

IDK how it is for you guys, or if it was just my specific room's projector, but I was trying my best to make out all the names during the scene where the girl (madison?) switches the ORCA on in Fenway and all the titans stop rampaging to travel to it. But they were all pretty blurry. I did spot the names of mokele-mbembe and a few others tho.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:54 pm

I was at one of my local malls today and found out the DVD/Blu-Ray release for the film.

August 27th guys. Mark your calendars.

Cryptid_Liker
Samurai

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:00 pm

Dv-218 wrote:Yeah, honestly fine with the spines being the way they are too. I really like the rune-like patterns on them that shine when he charges.

They didn't say the shapes would be gone.

Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dv-218 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:08 pm

Cryptid_Liker wrote:

They didn't say the shapes would be gone.

No, they didn't. Absolutely nothing was said regarding any changes so far. Just saying that I have no problem with the plates and design staying the same in GvK, since I dig the KOTM one.

ClandestineCanine9
Ronin

Postby ClandestineCanine9 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:19 pm

while I think the bone-white would look cool, I agree that it would detract from this Godzilla's uniqueness. I like him the way he is.
ゴジラ!/モスラ!/ギドラ!

LockBite
Interpol Agent

Postby LockBite » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:17 pm

I really want this Godzilla to have spines that are different in color from the rest of his body. KoTM kind of circumvented this design issue by having them glowing constantly, but the truth is that in the daylight Godzilla looks more like a big gray blob (I say that as someone who prefers this design over all others ever). Making his spines stand out would make the design perfect.

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Current)”