Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
User avatar
Cryptid_Liker
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 am

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:08 pm

goji89 wrote:But theres like only 17 titans sooooo.......

Will he ration them?


17 (excluding Godzilla) discovered so far. There could be 30 more that Monarch hasn't seen yet.

User avatar
MegaEvilSaurus666
Interpol Agent
Posts: 619
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby MegaEvilSaurus666 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:54 pm

Living Corpse wrote:I was a little let down we don't see King Ghidorah use the tornadoes to fight Godzilla. We did see the lightning from his storm zap some humans getting out of the Osprey, so it seems like King Ghidorah actually does control his storms on some level and not just make them and let them randomly devastate things.

With his powerful storms and all, I expected some level of building damage and even damage to the other flying monsters (Mothra). His storms could likely produce wind speeds of 250 mph and far faster. We didn't really see any effects from the hurricane and its multiple tornadoes beyond flooding, basic winds, rain, and lighting.
Living Corpse wrote:And on screen. Rodan's scene was great, needed one for King Ghidorah showing a montage of him just wigging out blasting cities as he flies by.

Pretty much every King Ghidorah appearance has had a scene like that. This sort of thing could be done amazingly with modern special effects, and with Ghidorah’s storm. It's a shame that such a classic example of King Ghidorah's power is neglected, especially in a film that's trying so hard to appeal to fans and relies on callbacks.

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10191
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:00 pm

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I was a little let down we don't see King Ghidorah use the tornadoes to fight Godzilla. We did see the lightning from his storm zap some humans getting out of the Osprey, so it seems like King Ghidorah actually does control his storms on some level and not just make them and let them randomly devastate things.

With his powerful storms and all, I expected some level of building damage and even damage to the other flying monsters (Mothra). His storms could likely produce wind speeds of 250 mph and far faster. We didn't really see any effects from the hurricane and its multiple tornadoes beyond flooding, basic winds, rain, and lighting.
Living Corpse wrote:And on screen. Rodan's scene was great, needed one for King Ghidorah showing a montage of him just wigging out blasting cities as he flies by.

Pretty much every King Ghidorah appearance has had a scene like that. This sort of thing could be done amazingly with modern special effects, and with Ghidorah’s storm. It's a shame that such a classic example of King Ghidorah's power is neglected, especially in a film that's trying so hard to appeal to fans and relies on callbacks.


Imagine a scene where King Ghidorah is just standing there, not using his gravity beams and as Godzilla runs towards him several golden bolts rain down from the sky zapping him, then the rain moves sideways towards him, slowing him down till a funnel cloud comes down, becoming a tornado, lifting and pushing Godzilla away as King Ghidorah laughs.
Image

User avatar
Thegarbagemonster
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:16 am
Location: England in a junk yard

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Thegarbagemonster » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:41 am

It'd be cool if the storm lifted Godzilla and dropped him instead of the dragon itself...
Image

User avatar
Godzilla165
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4997
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:37 am

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Godzilla165 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:43 am

I wonder how Godzilla keeps the others in line, actually? Does he have a similar ability as Ghidorah where he can vocalize and send different warning calls across the globe? And then, if a certain Titan doesn’t listen, Godzilla will personally make a trip to kick its ass.

Speaking of vocalizations, Ghidorah’s three step howl atop Rodan’s volcano was one of the most badass moments in King Ghidorah’s existence.
Image


Image

#BotM

User avatar
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:05 am

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby GuardianGhido » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:50 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I was hoping we'd see his hatred for Man by him just obliterating innocents running and cowering in his presence, buildings getting destroyed, and maybe one long side running shot of a street with people just running in fear and terror looking back as each group gets vaporized.

Similar to a modern version of the GTTHM scene

Like a crowd of people running mid-evacuation only for King Ghidorah to land right in front of them, and grin down at them with sick glee (Except Kevin who would be distracted by the empty evacuation vehicles behind him). Then after a tense moment, the people start running in the other way, Ghidorah just watches for a while, grinning even wider at their false hope (with Kevin would finally noticing all the tasty people to cook) before crushing it and vaporizing them all with gravity beams. But he leaves a parent or two parents with their child or children still alive, with them trying to protect their child or children, but the middle head just gets all the way close, makes a classic bidibidibidi, and just snaps them up in his jaws in an instant. Then when he starts laying waste to the rest of the place, cut to anothe scene.



Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaah, no.

That would have been an incrediblely out of left field tonal shift for the film that would have upset a lot of people, and rightfully so.

Yeah looking back, that's a bit too on the nose cheesy evil even for King Ghirodah. :mrgreen:

Best to just have him torch all the people with no survivors, cackle at his handiwork and continue the rampage.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

User avatar
Maverick Centigrade
Keizer
Posts: 7212
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:14 pm
Location: Hargenteen

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Maverick Centigrade » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:03 am

Edit: Wrong skreeonking thread.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So then Worf suddenly has a purple space bazooka...

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5278
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby _JNavs_ » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:22 pm

So I was watching TheCyberNerds review of KOTM (Really enjoyed it), and they brought up an interesting point.

Stay with me here, I'm sure there's plot holes and incorrect ideas, but they seem based enough to think about.

Godzilla and Ghidorah have been beefing for Millennia.
Godzilla's finally killed Ghidorah.

What if that just sent a beacon to whatever sent Ghidorah down in the first place? (Yes, I prefer Ghidorah of his own free will as well)
What if Godzilla just became King of the Monsters, not to serve as a King, but instead to lead an Army against whatever gets sent down next?

They said it'd be crazy if 4 more Ghidorah's showed up, but I'm thinking there's a helluva lot of variety of kaiju to pick and choose from.

New ones, old ones, the ideas are endless.

Nothing substantial, just some food for thought.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Gojira2K
Futurian
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:02 pm

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Gojira2K » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:27 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:So I was watching TheCyberNerds review of KOTM (Really enjoyed it), and they brought up an interesting point.

Stay with me here, I'm sure there's plot holes and incorrect ideas, but they seem based enough to think about.

Godzilla and Ghidorah have been beefing for Millennia.
Godzilla's finally killed Ghidorah.

What if that just sent a beacon to whatever sent Ghidorah down in the first place? (Yes, I prefer Ghidorah of his own free will as well)
What if Godzilla just became King of the Monsters, not to serve as a King, but instead to lead an Army against whatever gets sent down next?

They said it'd be crazy if 4 more Ghidorah's showed up, but I'm thinking there's a helluva lot of variety of kaiju to pick and choose from.

New ones, old ones, the ideas are endless.

Nothing substantial, just some food for thought.

Yeah, there are a couple of question I had about Ghidorah being an alien, how did Ghidorah get to Earth, and why did he come to Earth?
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?


Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there

TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:

Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*

*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9529
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Gojira2K wrote:Yeah, there are a couple of question I had about Ghidorah being an alien, how did Ghidorah get to Earth, and why did he come to Earth?

Given his known reputation for destroying all life on planets (They don't call him the Destroyer of Worlds/King of Terror for nothing). I take it earth was among those he came across.

I like to think too as part of my MonsterVerse headcanon both Venus are Mars once harbored life but were wiped out by King Ghidorah. Earth was lucky due to harboring giant monsters like King Ghidorah and that King Ghidorah was also responsible for the Permian-Triassic Extinction event but was stop short by Godzilla forcing him to flee only to then return 250 millions years later to try again (Thinking Godzilla is dead at this point) during the last Ice Age hence the inspiration for various dragons and serpents in legends like the Hydra and Rainbow Serpent.

How he got frozen is during one of Godzilla's and King Ghidorah's fights. Their fight lead them to Antarctica at some point in history and during it King Ghidorah was buried by an avalanche.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5278
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby _JNavs_ » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:34 pm

Gojira2K wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:So I was watching TheCyberNerds review of KOTM (Really enjoyed it), and they brought up an interesting point.

Stay with me here, I'm sure there's plot holes and incorrect ideas, but they seem based enough to think about.

Godzilla and Ghidorah have been beefing for Millennia.
Godzilla's finally killed Ghidorah.

What if that just sent a beacon to whatever sent Ghidorah down in the first place? (Yes, I prefer Ghidorah of his own free will as well)
What if Godzilla just became King of the Monsters, not to serve as a King, but instead to lead an Army against whatever gets sent down next?

They said it'd be crazy if 4 more Ghidorah's showed up, but I'm thinking there's a helluva lot of variety of kaiju to pick and choose from.

New ones, old ones, the ideas are endless.

Nothing substantial, just some food for thought.

Yeah, there are a couple of question I had about Ghidorah being an alien, how did Ghidorah get to Earth, and why did he come to Earth?

And how did he stay still enough to get locked in ice? Probably from a Godzilla fight tbh.

More food for thought building off their theory.

What if they're teasing all these fights, so that when the trilogy peaks, with a Godzilla 3. It'll be the BIGGEST monster mash and scale we've EVER seen before. Rows of Kaiju ready to duke it out with say, 4 or 5 ridiculously strong Extraterrestrial Titans and hell, throw some aliens in there too.

It'd be Destroy All Monsters and Invasion of the Astro-Monster mixed with PacRim on steroids
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby gottatalktothefake » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:37 pm

Thegarbagemonster wrote:It'd be cool if the storm lifted Godzilla and dropped him instead of the dragon itself...

So make ghidorah an airbender?
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

User avatar
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 817
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:29 pm
Location: Painis Island

Re: Godzilla ² General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Gawdziller1954 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Ben Shapiro wrote:If you want proof, why don’t you just go through Sayaka’s post history yourself.

I know for a fact I recall him saying those sketches were screen accurate.

His exact words are "I can guarantee that the effect of my paintings is close to that of the finished films", which is true.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Image
Image

User avatar
gottatalktothefake
G-Grasper
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby gottatalktothefake » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:17 pm

His behemoth and Scylla drawings were on point
Smuggers wrote:How could Dougherty do this to us bros... he's defiling our beloved monsters right before our eyes, charging $15 a pop and getting millions in the process... I thought he was a trufan? I guess this was all some sick joke orchestrated by Thomas Tull for almost a decade...

Oh well. Guess I won't see the movie for myself and form my own opinion, I've basically already seen it in my mind from what I've read online and I know a lame duck when I see one. Time to whip out the 'ol 12 gauge

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3226
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:09 pm

Was I the only one that didn't like that the added the Japanese Godzilla roar to Godzilla in this?
Not that I don't like the roar I just feel like it didn't fit the animal itself. Just felt like it was thrown in the try and please Toho fans and out of place. Especially when at the end of the film when Godzilla arrives at Boston after blasting Ghidorah with the atomic breath before killing Madison. As Madison turns around and you hear the roar it feels so out of place.

I don't know it just doesn't fit the design of Legendary's Godzilla. I felt the same way in the Heisei series when the switched the roar back from the deep growl that fit the design from G-1985 to Godzilla vs King Ghidorah back to the Showa roar... It didn't fit and neither did this. Keep the 2014 roar only for Godzilla vs Kong.

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan
Posts: 5768
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:14 pm

I didn't have a problem with the roar.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:




User avatar
GoWhaleTours
Interpol Agent
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:52 pm

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby GoWhaleTours » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:38 pm

I absolutely adored the old roar I’m KOTM
anyway, yeah, macaroni.

User avatar
Cryptid_Liker
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 am

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:22 pm

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Was I the only one that didn't like that the added the Japanese Godzilla roar to Godzilla in this?
Not that I don't like the roar I just feel like it didn't fit the animal itself. Just felt like it was thrown in the try and please Toho fans and out of place. Especially when at the end of the film when Godzilla arrives at Boston after blasting Ghidorah with the atomic breath before killing Madison. As Madison turns around and you hear the roar it feels so out of place.

I don't know it just doesn't fit the design of Legendary's Godzilla. I felt the same way in the Heisei series when the switched the roar back from the deep growl that fit the design from G-1985 to Godzilla vs King Ghidorah back to the Showa roar... It didn't fit and neither did this. Keep the 2014 roar only for Godzilla vs Kong.


The sudden full Showa roar at Boston is off.

User avatar
Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Smuggers » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:36 pm

I could've done without it. I'm not positive it provides anything besides paying lip service to the old stuff. That sort of encapsulates how I feel about pretty much all the tweaks made to the design in KoTM, pretty unnecessary.
Last edited by Smuggers on Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5278
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby _JNavs_ » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:37 pm

It was fine when he fell in Antarctica, felt well placed like an Easter egg.

The one in Boston was a bit off though.
Image
Sith Apprentice.


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bluezilla 65 and 11 guests