Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:04 pm

GuardianGhido wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I was hoping we'd see his hatred for Man by him just obliterating innocents running and cowering in his presence, buildings getting destroyed, and maybe one long side running shot of a street with people just running in fear and terror looking back as each group gets vaporized.

Similar to a modern version of the GTTHM scene

Like a crowd of people running mid-evacuation only for King Ghidorah to land right in front of them, and grin down at them with sick glee (Except Kevin who would be distracted by the empty evacuation vehicles behind him). Then after a tense moment, the people start running in the other way, Ghidorah just watches for a while, grinning even wider at their false hope (with Kevin would finally noticing all the tasty people to cook) before crushing it and vaporizing them all with gravity beams. But he leaves a parent or two parents with their child or children still alive, with them trying to protect their child or children, but the middle head just gets all the way close, makes a classic bidibidibidi, and just snaps them up in his jaws in an instant. Then when he starts laying waste to the rest of the place, cut to anothe scene.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaah, no.

That would have been an incrediblely out of left field tonal shift for the film that would have upset a lot of people, and rightfully so.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Living Corpse
Keizer

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:11 pm

JesstrK wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:For a quasi apocalyptic giant monster action blockbuster did KotM feel oddly small to anyone else?

The one bad thing I will say about this movie is that we really should have got more good old fashioned city destruction scenes, especially from Ghidorah. I mean, we see the aftermath of Washington DC getting destroyed, but not the act itself. Missed opportunity, would have sold Ghidorah better as an apocalyptic threat and increased the tension. Even GTTHM did a better job of giving us this considering what they had to work with back then. Gravity beams madly flying in every direction, buildings exploding and getting sliced down the middle, civilians and authorities alike reacting with utter shock and terror as their daily lives are interrupted by the cackling hell that just appeared in the sky out of nowhere, the works.

For some reason these movies keep shying away from showing the monsters destroying cities on screen. I don't know if it's a budget thing, animating thing or some higher up thinking it's too "dark" and will dampen the fun of the movie. If the latter, someone needs to tell him/her/them that half the fun of these movies is seeing things get destroyed, not just the fights. Heck that's what appeals to a lot of non G fans about these movies, the disaster aspect cause disaster films are popular in the west.

_JNavs_
EDF Soldier

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:15 pm

Living Corpse wrote:For some reason these movies keep shying away from showing the monsters destroying cities on screen. I don't know if it's a budget thing, animating thing or some higher up thinking it's too "dark" and will dampen the fun of the movie. If the latter, someone needs to tell him/her/them that half the fun of these movies is seeing things get destroyed, not just the fights. Heck that's what appeals to a lot of non G fans about these movies, the disaster aspect cause disaster films are popular in the west.

Ya know this never crossed my mind, in most Japanese Godzilla flicks, there is a kaiju at some point destroying a city. Either by his lonesome or with a friend. We've yet to see this in the Monsterverse (actually we kinda did when they showed the monsters awakening and destroying cities in KOTM) clearly.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Apprentice. きの Dragon Tamer. ニューヨーク市.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:24 pm

I guess Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla's Revenge aren't Japanese Godzilla movies.

They must have been secretly created by Americans all along!
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:27 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:I guess Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla's Revenge aren't Japanese Godzilla movies.

Bad choice of example with Sea Monster as there actually is a miniature destruction sequence in the film. Revenge also has a half second shot of Godzilla destroying a city from DAM.

Correct on Son of Godzilla, though! ;)

_JNavs_
EDF Soldier

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:29 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:I guess Son of Godzilla isn't a Japanese Godzilla movie.

It must have been secretly created by Americans all along!

Lmfao ya got me there!
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
G-Grasper

Postby Terasawa » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:36 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:I guess Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, and Godzilla's Revenge aren't Japanese Godzilla movies.

Bad choice of example with Sea Monster as there actually is a miniature destruction sequence in the film. Revenge also has a half second shot of Godzilla destroying a city from DAM.

Well by the same criteria, there is brief model destruction in Son of Godzilla as Godzilla destroys some buildings in the UN compound.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:38 pm

Pfft.

If Godzilla's walk through the Red Bamboo's bomb manufacturing facility counts as 'a kaiju destroying a city' then G14 and KotM passed that criteria with the Janjira Plant and Arctic base destruction sequences respectively, nevermind San Francisco and Boston.

For that matter, let's talk about that thirty seconds of city damage Mechagodzilla did in his first appearance, or Megalon wandering through the countryside with some stock footage of King Ghidorah's gravity beams playing over his otherwise harmless hopping.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Living Corpse
Keizer

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:29 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:

Godzilla partially damage the research tower in Son of Godzilla.

Added in 2 minutes 7 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:For some reason these movies keep shying away from showing the monsters destroying cities on screen. I don't know if it's a budget thing, animating thing or some higher up thinking it's too "dark" and will dampen the fun of the movie. If the latter, someone needs to tell him/her/them that half the fun of these movies is seeing things get destroyed, not just the fights. Heck that's what appeals to a lot of non G fans about these movies, the disaster aspect cause disaster films are popular in the west.

Ya know this never crossed my mind, in most Japanese Godzilla flicks, there is a kaiju at some point destroying a city. Either by his lonesome or with a friend. We've yet to see this in the Monsterverse (actually we kinda did when they showed the monsters awakening and destroying cities in KOTM) clearly.

I mean, we got Rodan destroying a town on screen as well as fighting the Air Force and it was great, but we could have used more of that. Washington D.C. being flooded was cool but it would have been nice to see it as it happen instead of the aftermath.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:38 pm

That's why the Rodan emergence sequence was easily favorite sequence in the film. Reminds me of the scene in Gamera 3 where his fireballs are blasting people and debris every which way. Sadly its the only really good scene like that in the whole MonsterVerse.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

_JNavs_
EDF Soldier

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:41 pm

To that caliber yeah Rodan's the only one to really capture the balls to the wall solo wild destruction the old films had.

However the MUTO's had some pretty emotional destructive scenes that were really well shot.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper

Postby daveblackeye15 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:50 pm

I thought there was plenty of destruction. I mean Boston gets totalled by all the monsters fighting, Ghidorah picking up and dropping Godzilla and the thermal pulses. I mean Ghidorah rampaging against Fenway park and then chasing Emma was enough action for his lightning bolts I thought. I love that hsot of Godzilla tackling Ghidorah through the building he's webbed up to.

_JNavs_
EDF Soldier

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:54 pm

daveblackeye15 wrote:I thought there was plenty of destruction. I mean Boston gets totalled by all the monsters fighting, Ghidorah picking up and dropping Godzilla and the thermal pulses. I mean Ghidorah rampaging against Fenway park and then chasing Emma was enough action for his lightning bolts I thought. I love that hsot of Godzilla tackling Ghidorah through the building he's webbed up to.

Nah I think they mean specifically solo destruction. Less so Monster fighting.

Dracosaurian
Interpol Agent

Postby Dracosaurian » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Last edited by Dracosaurian on Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Living Corpse
Keizer

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:17 pm

I was a little let down we don't see King Ghidorah use the tornadoes to fight Godzilla. We did see the lightning from his storm zap some humans getting out of the Osprey, so it seems like King Ghidorah actually does control his storms on some level and not just make them and let them randomly devastate things.

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:That's why the Rodan emergence sequence was easily favorite sequence in the film. Reminds me of the scene in Gamera 3 where his fireballs are blasting people and debris every which way. Sadly its the only really good scene like that in the whole MonsterVerse.

Speaking of Gamera 3, while I did enjoy Rodan's fight with Mothra, it was pretty basic, wanted more tricks like what we see in Gamera and Iris' air fight, espiecally aftr seeing the stunts Rodan pulled fighting the Air Force.

_JNavs_ wrote:
daveblackeye15 wrote:I thought there was plenty of destruction. I mean Boston gets totalled by all the monsters fighting, Ghidorah picking up and dropping Godzilla and the thermal pulses. I mean Ghidorah rampaging against Fenway park and then chasing Emma was enough action for his lightning bolts I thought. I love that hsot of Godzilla tackling Ghidorah through the building he's webbed up to.

Nah I think they mean specifically solo destruction. Less so Monster fighting.

And on screen. Rodan's scene was great, needed one for King Ghidorah showing a montage of him just wigging out blasting cities as he flies by.
Last edited by Living Corpse on Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:27 pm

Dracosaurian wrote:Godzilla's diet.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/stat ... 6388414464

This is roughly close to what I had been thinking, pretty neat
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

goji89
Keizer

Postby goji89 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:29 pm

But theres like only 17 titans sooooo.......

Will he ration them?
Last edited by goji89 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuShill17
Samurai

Postby KaijuShill17 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:52 pm

goji89 wrote:But theres like only 17 titans sooooo.......

Will he ration them?

Maybe he eats the ones that fall out of line? I mean, for all we know he could have eaten the MUTOs after the events of G14. We know Monarch has the female's head in Castle Bravo, but he could have eaten the rest of their bodies, eventually.
Last edited by KaijuShill17 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gojira18
G-Grasper

Postby Gojira18 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:56 pm

Will he ration them?

"And counting"

_JNavs_
EDF Soldier

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:03 pm

KaijuShill17 wrote:

Will he ration them?

Maybe he eats the ones that fall out of line? I mean, for all we know he could have eaten the MUTOs after the events of G14. We know Monarch has the female's head in Castle Bravo, but he could have eaten the rest of their bodies, eventually.

If they run like a pack (which would be sick to see and hell on Earth for any titan who's not with the group) they'd kill and eat as a unit. But I doubt that.

I think they just stay on their own turf and understand that if they step out of the Kings direct orders, he will come back, maul them to death, and eat their rotting corpses. Which he'll likely do anyway since, while we anthropomorphize Godzilla, he's still an animal and animals gotta eat. So I wouldn't put him past betrayals and such if he's hungry enough.

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Current)”