Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:15 am

Felt condensed and focused.

The beginning stages of the apocalypse vibe was definitely there though.
Sith Apprentice.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:51 am

From what I saw and heard on my latest viewing, King Ghidorah makes some veru quiet lower pitched Showa roars at two points: Right before (or after, I forgot) we see his tail in Antarctica and right before either drop kicking Godzilla or grabbing him to pull him into the stratosphere. (It's subtly mixed into a modern roar).

He also makes the iconic "BIDIBIDIBIDI" flying noise (not the roar, the continous monotone flying noise) from the Showa series before landing in Boston with a loud thunderclap, which a lot of people has mentioned already. But this time I took care to remember the exact point. It was after the rain started to falll and we saw KG's reflection flying across and then the sound happens when Madison's nervously looking around. This makes me think MV King Ghidorah makes this sound when hovering in place.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

HannibalBarca
Futurian

Postby HannibalBarca » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:39 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:For a quasi apocalyptic giant monster action blockbuster did KotM feel oddly small to anyone else?

Sort of, yeah. I've seen it described (forget where) as a globe-trotting adventure where the globe-trotting is essentially meaningless, because 1) everything happens so quickly; and 2) most of the characters are on the bridge of the Argo anyway.
In my opinion, of course.

GoWhaleTours
Interpol Agent

Postby GoWhaleTours » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:56 am

Ghidorah’s original roar is heard very, very, very quietly when he lands in Boston. My theater was loud and i had to strain to hear it.

I mention this because I don’t think it’s the same one everyone else is talking about. I knew to listen for it and barely caught it.
anyway, yeah, macaroni.

GFAN198423
E.S.P.Spy

Postby GFAN198423 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:05 am

As cool as the theatrical experience was, I feel like sound will be a much different, possibly better, experience on digital and blu ray. There are videos of when Godzilla finishes off Ghidorah where you can hear Mothra each time he uses his attack, I saw this movie twice in theaters and both times did not hear it, I feel like there were so many sounds with explosions and music and all, that in a theater, some things were drowned out by others.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:27 am

GoWhaleTours wrote:Ghidorah’s original roar is heard very, very, very quietly when he lands in Boston. My theater was loud and i had to strain to hear it.

I mention this because I don’t think it’s the same one everyone else is talking about. I knew to listen for it and barely caught it.

See my post above for more details (plus he makes both Showa roars and Showa flying noises. There's a difference)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:36 am

It won't change anything but I'm gonna see the film one last time today in theaters given its showtimes now will likely be out of my local theater by next week.

As they always say. Every little bit helps.

Sonic
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Sonic » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:37 am

What’s the world wide box office looking like? I hope it crosses 500 million world wide at least...

Godzilla21
Keizer

Postby Godzilla21 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:44 am

Sonic wrote:What’s the world wide box office looking like? I hope it crosses 500 million world wide at least...

It won't
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Sonic
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Sonic » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:47 am

Godzilla21 wrote:
Sonic wrote:What’s the world wide box office looking like? I hope it crosses 500 million world wide at least...

It won't

What’s it on at the moment? I mean, there’s always a chance...

Godzilla2000Zero
Futurian

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:50 am

Sonic wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:

It won't

346 million as of yesterday I believe
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Moogabunga
Futurian

Postby Moogabunga » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:51 am

Sonic wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:

It won't

With its extension in China it is possible that it crosses $400 million worldwide, but there is a ZERO percent chance it gets to $500 million...

Sonic
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Sonic » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Thanks.... what a big shame.

JesstrK
Interpol Agent

Postby JesstrK » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:51 pm

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:For a quasi apocalyptic giant monster action blockbuster did KotM feel oddly small to anyone else?

The one bad thing I will say about this movie is that we really should have got more good old fashioned city destruction scenes, especially from Ghidorah. I mean, we see the aftermath of Washington DC getting destroyed, but not the act itself. Missed opportunity, would have sold Ghidorah better as an apocalyptic threat and increased the tension. Even GTTHM did a better job of giving us this considering what they had to work with back then. Gravity beams madly flying in every direction, buildings exploding and getting sliced down the middle, civilians and authorities alike reacting with utter shock and terror as their daily lives are interrupted by the cackling hell that just appeared in the sky out of nowhere, the works.
Last edited by JesstrK on Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:53 pm

JesstrK wrote:

The one bad thing I will say about this movie is that we really should have got more good old fashioned city destruction scenes, especially from Ghidorah. I mean, we see the aftermath of Washington DC getting destroyed, but not the act itself. Missed opportunity, would have sold Ghidorah better as an apocalyptic threat and increased the tension. Even GTTHM did a better job of giving us this considering what they had to work with back then. Gravity beams madly flying in every direction, buildings exploding and getting sliced down the middle, the works.

I wholeheartedly agree on this. That scene where KG is just laying waste to Boston searching for Madison was awesome and made me wish we got more scenes of him just slaughtering people and obliterating structures, reducing populated settlements to barren wastelands.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:59 pm

I was hoping we'd see his hatred for Man by him just obliterating innocents running and cowering in his presence, buildings getting destroyed, and maybe one long side running shot of a street with people just running in fear and terror looking back as each group gets vaporized.

Similar to a modern version of the GTTHM scene
Sith Apprentice.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Postby GuardianGhido » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:05 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:I was hoping we'd see his hatred for Man by him just obliterating innocents running and cowering in his presence, buildings getting destroyed, and maybe one long side running shot of a street with people just running in fear and terror looking back as each group gets vaporized.

Like a crowd of people running mid-evacuation only for King Ghidorah to land right in front of them, and grin down at them with sick glee (Except Kevin who would be distracted by the empty evacuation vehicles behind him). Then after a tense moment, the people start running in the other way, Ghidorah just watches for a while, grinning even wider at their false hope (with Kevin would finally noticing all the tasty people to cook) before crushing it and vaporizing them all with gravity beams. But he leaves a parent or two parents with their child or children still alive, with them trying to protect their child or children, but the middle head just gets all the way close, makes a classic bidibidibidi, and just snaps them up in his jaws in an instant. Then when he starts laying waste to the rest of the place, cut to anothe scene.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:06 pm

GuardianGhido wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I was hoping we'd see his hatred for Man by him just obliterating innocents running and cowering in his presence, buildings getting destroyed, and maybe one long side running shot of a street with people just running in fear and terror looking back as each group gets vaporized.

Like a crowd of people running mid-evacuation only for King Ghidorah to land right in front of them, and grin down at them with sick glee (Except Kevin who would be distracted by the empty evacuation vehicles behind him). Then after a tense moment, the people start running in the other way, Ghidorah just watches for a while, grinning even wider at their false hope (with Kevin would finally noticing all the tasty people to cook) before crushing it and vaporizing them all with gravity beams. But he leaves a parent or two parents with a child still alive, with them trying to protect their child or children, but the middle head just gets all the way close, makes a classic bidibidibidi, and just snaps them up in his jaws in an instant. Then when he starts laying waste to the rest of the place, cut to anothe scene.

Exactly, something terrifying. Like out of a horror movie.

I don't know what kind of restrictions a PG-13 film has, but I've seen films before that really push the envelope on the rating.
Sith Apprentice.

Gojira2K
Futurian

Postby Gojira2K » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:21 pm

HD image of Behemoth:
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?

Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there

TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:

Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*

*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Hokmuto
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Hokmuto » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:42 pm

After having seen the movie several times and putting away my hype, I rate this movie a 7/10.

Cringe humor, Oxygen Destroyer coming out of nowhere and feeling very forced, I felt they cut away too much to the humans during the final battle, wanted more destruction as others have said here (especially from Washington DC), and Charles Dance’s character being underutilized.

Those are all my complains. Everything else was great or are criticisms that I don’t really care all too much about.
Long Live The King

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”