Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by GuardianGhido »

JAGzilla wrote:I liked that Trespasser and the Mind Flayer were in the crowd of bowing monsters. "Friends don't fight" was all right, too, as the obligatory MBB Stranger Things reference.
Huh? I get that the MUTO or Scylla would be the Mindflayer, but who's Tresspasser? Methuselah?
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

GuardianGhido wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:I liked that Trespasser and the Mind Flayer were in the crowd of bowing monsters. "Friends don't fight" was all right, too, as the obligatory MBB Stranger Things reference.
Huh? I get that the MUTO or Scylla would be the Mindflayer, but who's Tresspasser? Methuselah?
I don't think he's supposed to 'replace' anybody, but is just there as a reference/because HISHE already had his animation model left from their Pacific Rim video, so using him was cheaper than making a Behemoth or Methuselah model for a two-second scene.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Did anyone else the funny tweet from Doughtery regarding the Monsters speaking? Rodan especially haha

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/stat ... ialogue%2F

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I think Mike and I might be kindred spirits because I always kind of heard the monsters cursing at each other whenever I watched these movies, lol.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Monsters saying the F word is probably the worst thing ever, sorry. I think that tweet is pretty much the zenith of everything wrong with KOTM.

Preemptively, I know that some people will point out the “Godzilla what terrible language” from GTTHM, but that was dub only.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Monsters saying the F word is probably the worst thing ever, sorry. I think that tweet is pretty much the zenith of everything wrong with KOTM.
I agree 100%, that was stupid, immature and childish. A disgrace to the monsters to even think of making them talk like that. This makes stuff like HEY ANGILAS seem verbose.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GuardianGhido wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Monsters saying the F word is probably the worst thing ever, sorry. I think that tweet is pretty much the zenith of everything wrong with KOTM.
I agree 100%, that was stupid, immature and childish. A disgrace to the monsters to even think of making them talk like that. This makes stuff like HEY ANGILAS seem verbose.
“SUMTHIN FISHY GOING ON”
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

What the heck lmao?

It's not like he's literally saying Ah fuck me, they're just cue cards so that the CG actors know what they're working with. They did it with Kong:SI and G14, they're doing it with GvK. He's just a director funning around with B.T.S. content lol, not the worst thing in the world.

I love the fact that they're incorporating visual expressions into the Titans now. Makes for more embraceful, personal situations.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

^Personally disagree on this. I don't know why but thinking of the.monsters saying things like that are...kinda off putting for some reason.
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:^Personally disagree on this. I don't know why but thinking of the.monsters saying things like that are...kinda off putting for some reason.
I mean they're not literally saying it, like i said it's for the CG actors to know exactly what expression to shoot for

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

_JNavs_ wrote:What the skreeonk lmao?

It's not like he's literally saying Ah skreeonk me, they're just cue cards so that the CG actors know what they're working with. They did it with Kong:SI and G14, they're doing it with GvK. He's just a director funning around with B.T.S. content lol, not the worst thing in the world.

I love the fact that they're incorporating visual expressions into the Titans now. Makes for more embraceful, personal situations.
But seriously, to take the expressiveness and the well established personalities conveyed through their body language and them just dumb it all down to "skreeonk U" when fighting each other just ruins the character for me. Is this really what Dougherty believes to go through the minds of ancient, sapient and intelligent superspecies that have lived for milennia and are facing each other in mortal combat? Does he think they' a couple of 12 year old kids playing Call of Duty? It's a skreeonking insult to the characters IMO to associate them with this kind of immature banter outside of parodies. I wish Dougherty just made his awesome movie and skreoonked off instead of ruining the movie with these bullpoop Word of God tweets!
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, it’s pretty childish. Swearing isn’t that funny.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:^Personally disagree on this. I don't know why but thinking of the.monsters saying things like that are...kinda off putting for some reason.
I mean they're not literally saying it, like i said it's for the CG actors to know exactly what expression to shoot for
Still doesn't really change my opinion that it's still off putting.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Gotcha gotcha, so what would you do instead?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: I mean they're not literally saying it, like i said it's for the CG actors to know exactly what expression to shoot for
Not make the tweet. :lol:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote: Still doesn't really change my opinion that it's still off putting.
:lol: :lol: that's true, maybe keep those kinds of lines behind the scenes lol.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:"You've gotta be skreeonking kidding me."
Remember that time in Godzilla Final Wars, where someone wanted to say Fuck, and even then, the director of Final wars, had some restraint, and said no.

I think at this point it’s also a cultural thing that’s a bit difficult to explain, but the Japanese language, really doesn’t have a lot of expletives or things equivalent to fuck. There’s a lot of nasty insults, and derogatory words, but one thing I’ve noticed is that Japanese media tends to not be as pointlessly vulgar as American media, unless it somehow directly pertains to characterization.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^That's also why the out of place f-word in Sony's GMK subs is so stupid. "Shit," maybe, but the way they subtitled it made it seem like an extreme overreaction.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote: Still doesn't really change my opinion that it's still off putting.
Exactly. Let the movie speak for itself man, you're already done with it, don't try to force some extra things in there Rowling style. Let us enjoy the movie for what it is instead of spouting unnecessary garbage that the movie never gave any indication of, especially when it makes it worse!