Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KingKaiju
Futurian

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by KingKaiju »

tyrantgoji wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
I feel like if they did, nobody would be calling RT the worst place on the internet. :lol:
That's true, or saying things like, "Rotten Tomatoe's critics". :lol:

Dudes say they don't care or put any weight into movie awards, until KOTM got nominated for a Razzie.
WAIT WHAT!? IT ACTUALLY GOT A RAZZIE NOMINATION!? :lol:

Dang i know the film wasn't the best but..wow. Was not expecting that.
I don't know if it actually is. But it's one of those things. It popped on a list, and all the "these awards don't matter, I don't care" go, "FUUUUUCK THESE AWARDS!!! THEY HATE KAIJU MOVIES!!!!!!"
kaijuguy19 wrote:I know there were talks of KOTM getting a Razzie nominations but not about it actually getting one....Great as if there wasn't any more reason not to like award things like that.
People saw "Godzilla" and "Razzie" in the same sentence, and flipped. Not too surprised. It's like people finding that post from that 100 followed Instagram page saying that the Godzilla vs. Kong trailer is releasing in March, and running with it.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dang, i still cannot believe this film was close to a razzie. That's way more insulting to it than anything i've said.

I can kinda understand why, but even then that seems kinda harsh.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Imagine it winning that Razzie.

Blow many minds I bet.

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

Jesus Christ the movie wasn’t THAT goddamn bad. Seriously, people need to get a goddamn grip and move the fuck on. That Razzie show or whatever can go fuck itself.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Everyone calm down. The Razzie nominations haven't even been released yet. Where is this misinformation coming from?
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote:Everyone calm down. The Razzie nominations haven't even been released yet. Where is this misinformation coming from?
IDK but someone must've either got it out early somehow or are just being straight liars.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

There have been absolutely zero indications that KOTM will be nominated for any Razzies. Anyone saying otherwise is flat out lying. Period.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Who cares if it gets nominated for a Razzie anyway. People like what they like and hate what they hate, our only concern should be Godzilla vs Kong doing better.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Probably getting the info from this.

https://razzies.com/razz-blogz/at-least ... contenders

Though if you truly believe KOTM is bad enough to deserve a Razzie you might just be browsing the wrong threads and may need to give the entire franchise a rewatch lmao.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

That list is seriously lacking some major stinkers from last year.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I’m certain that, even if it gets nominated, it won’t be getting a razzie. Calm your tits. As for RT being the go-to for movie stats. It’s not, but it’s a great site to see what critics are saying, which I still think is valid. Yes, draw your own conclusions, but that should go without saying. People who go “Fuck the critics! I don’t care what they say!!” Are often just trying to prove to others that they come up with their own opinions. Also, if I had to pick had to take advice about a film from either critics or audiences... go with the people who’s jobs are to watch and analyze films, whether or not you agree with their thoughts on the film.
Last edited by KingKaiju on Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think people who say skreeonk the critics are specifically talking about the ones who were never going to like it to begin with, who degrade and insult the entire genre afterwards, because they have a complete misunderstanding of it.

Seriously, what's the difference between an audience member who watches and analyzes films religiously, and a guy whos "job" it is to watch movies and give their opinions?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:I think people who say skreeonk the critics are specifically talking about the ones who were never going to like it to begin with, who degrade and insult the entire genre afterwards, because they have a complete misunderstanding of it.
I honestly remember some critics who said "i thought this film was just ok" and some fans went "HOW DARE YOU, KOTM IS THE BEST FILM OF ALL TIME Blah blah blah"

So no, it's not that.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I think people who say skreeonk the critics are specifically talking about the ones who were never going to like it to begin with, who degrade and insult the entire genre afterwards, because they have a complete misunderstanding of it.
I honestly remember some critics who said "i thought this film was just ok" and some fans went "HOW DARE YOU, KOTM IS THE BEST FILM OF ALL TIME Blah blah blah"

So no, it's not that.
But again, you're generalizing different groups of fans.

Maybe a miniscule amount of fans went around REEE'ing at critics who thought it was just "okay", (i haven't seen that at all, let alone on this forum)

But the vast majority of critic-blamers were blaming the critics who blatantly despised the genre, or ignored it's impact completely.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^ While that is a problematic attitude, it’s not like KOTM did anything to break stereotypes or elevate the genre.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

tyrantgoji wrote:

So no, it's not that.
Speaking for myself, I started to ignore reviews of the movie after seeing things like "This is a ripoff of Rugrats' Reptar" and "The original Godzilla is schlock." Lots of wide sweeping, eye-roll inducing, ill-informed blanket statements that really affected my ability to take the word of the critics seriously. I stopped paying attention to the reviews – good ones and bad ones alike – so that I could judge the movie for myself and make my own opinion on it.

Other than reading funny reviews for Cats in December, I haven't bothered to pay any much attention to critics or movie reviews since. And I think I'm happier for it.

KotM was a bit of a wake up call to not put too much stock in the word of film critics just because they're "professional", and that had nothing to do with the quality of the film itself (I thought it was mediocre), but because of the poorly informed, often mocking statements made in many of those reviews.

I can't speak for everyone of course, but for me personally, any "Ree-ing" (what an obnoxious term) was certainly not directed to the reviews saying KotM was just okay.
Last edited by Spuro on Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

As i said, it was not something i've seen on this forum.

Added in 1 minute 44 seconds:
Terasawa wrote:^ While that is a problematic attitude, it’s not like KOTM did anything to break stereotypes or elevate the genre.
It may not have, but the film certainly had very satisfying moments, including a grandiose conclusion that we really haven't seen before within the genre.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Terasawa wrote:^ While that is a problematic attitude, it’s not like KOTM did anything to break stereotypes or elevate the genre.
It may not have, but the film certainly had very satisfying moments, including a grandiose conclusion that we really haven't seen before within the genre.
I'd say Gamera 3 had a pretty grandiose conclusion.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Let's not forget G2K. Ended the film by lighting the damn city aflame. :lol:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Let's not forget G2K. Ended the film by lighting the damn city aflame. :lol:
:lol: Yes! That entire ending is one of the biggest reasons 2K is one of my favorites.