Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:28 pm I don't how it looks in the movie...but if there's ever a final MV Godzilla movie I'd like to see Fire Godzilla again but this time the wings are always on him like say this.
https://i0.wp.com/media.criticalhit.net ... illa-3.jpg

Not enough to fly of course but hey extra limbs.
that's fuckin WACK and I doubt it'll ever happen

though it does look pretty cool
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Here's to hoping the bring back Rodan. Did he just go back to sleep? Like what's the kid doing? Seemed like that stab from Mothra didn't do any lasting damage from the way he was ready to go in the end.

Does Dominion reference?

And the Mothra lady. They just completely ignore the fact this woman has a connection to an immortal kaiju inverse and I can't except that.
Last edited by ernesth100 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Some of my past comments on this film were ignorant to a degree of absurdity. I've come to really enjoy this film, including the score.

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

I was listening to some of the score last night. I remember saying this here before the film came out, when the score was released prior. The Mothra and Godzilla themes really almost brought tears to my eyes. The fact that beautiful renditions of these themes are in a big budget modern film is really something. While I do think the use of the themes, along with the Toho Godzilla roars in the film, feel sort of cheap or out of place, there’s no denying that the score is awesome.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

I didn't like the use of Showa roars either, they clash with the roar they gave him in 2014. glad they didn't do that in GvK.
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

göblin
Young Farmer

Post by göblin »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:42 pm I didn't like the use of Showa roars either, they clash with the roar they gave him in 2014. glad they didn't do that in GvK.
I definitely agree with that. As much as I like Showa homages, I was rewatching the movie and it stuck out to me especially when Godzilla makes his entrance in Boston.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

göblin wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:31 am
ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:42 pm I didn't like the use of Showa roars either, they clash with the roar they gave him in 2014. glad they didn't do that in GvK.
I definitely agree with that. As much as I like Showa homages, I was rewatching the movie and it stuck out to me especially when Godzilla makes his entrance in Boston.
that's the one. I hated that.
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

This is much more enjoyable after giving it a break after the initial 2-3 watches. There is more plot to it than Godzilla vs Kong but not as much as Godzilla. It really does the best of the three to allow the monsters time to breathe when they are on screen alone.

Things that I believe would most definitely improve it:

- not killing of Graham (generally King Ghidorah should not be concerning himself with individuals)
- eliminating Stanton/Coleman - this would probably allow better dialogue and exposition regarding Ghidorah, Mothra + Godzilla, and others
- build up the Oxygen Destroyer in the first act and show the aftermath in a similar light as the atomic bomb
- eliminating the particle effects and filters over every scene and give the fights the same breathing room as the solo appearances
- add a sequence of King Ghidorah laying waste to cities
- I think a lot of the callbacks/references to Showa/Hesei are too hamfisted compared to Godzilla and GvK
Last edited by Spydrmanjr on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Spydrmanjr wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:29 pm (generally King Ghidorah should not be concerning himself with individuals)
I never really understood the train of thought that suggested Kotm Ghidorah killing individual people implied he was the most sinister and minicanal the character has ever been. For me all it does is harken back to that one prick in every elementary school who liked to squish ants. I mean yeah sure he was kind of an ass for doing it, but I wouldn't call him literal Satan.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:46 pm I never really understood the train of thought that suggested Kotm Ghidorah killing individual people implied he was the most sinister and minicanal the character has ever been. For me all it does is harken back to that one prick in every elementary school who liked to squish ants. I mean yeah sure he was kind of an ass for doing it, but I wouldn't call him literal Satan.
Agreed, it was just unnecessary. King Ghidorah is over 500 feet tall, the average human is about 1/100th his size. It just made no sense for him to single out any human or "eat" any human.

Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Post by Mechabrozilla »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:46 pm I never really understood the train of thought that suggested Kotm Ghidorah killing individual people implied he was the most sinister and minicanal the character has ever been. For me all it does is harken back to that one prick in every elementary school who liked to squish ants. I mean yeah sure he was kind of an ass for doing it, but I wouldn't call him literal Satan.
I always took it for that to be a contrast to the other Titans we'd seen (which admittedly wasn't many as of KOTM) such as Godzilla or the MUTOS, neither of which intentionally went out of their way to attack humans - let alone individuals. They're just part of the ecosystem.

By contrast Ghidorah did, and enjoyed it.

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

I think attacking humans directly and unprovoked is what should separate Ghidorah from the rest but the singling out ants is kinda silly given the grand nature of Titans.

Gelo
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gelo »

I haven’t enjoyed being on here since ‘14. Just wanted to put my opinion out there that Gareth did a masterpiece on that film. I loved how original it was.

I was 14 at the time, I was so prepared for more of what was given. That roar man, they made it so loud there. ‘19 and ‘21 did no justice whatsoever. Maybe cool visuals here and there... but I was so disappointed.

I really want more of ‘14 Godzilla (I know we won’t get), and more of those ways Gareth and that sound guy recreated his roar. Also, release the damn digital 4K already, brighten my guy up. They SLAUGHTERED him in my opinion after I left that IMAX theater. Thank God I saw it 15 times lol.
On March 1st, 1954 at exactly 8:50AM, Operation: Lucky Dragon commenced.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Spydrmanjr wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:00 am
Agreed, it was just unnecessary. King Ghidorah is over 500 feet tall, the average human is about 1/100th his size. It just made no sense for him to single out any human or "eat" any human.
I kind of saw that as KG just waking up and just...interacting with the world for the first time in many, many years. Almost how infants learn about the world through their various senses. Plus KG is very aggressive. It saw something perhaps novel to it...and decided to attack it.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Is it reasonable to assume KG has a sense similar to Godzilla and knows people who would be a key point to his survival? For example Madison, he aimed at her. Is it possible he knows the two had some sort of connection.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

UndineUndying
Ronin

Post by UndineUndying »

Spydrmanjr wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:29 pm - eliminating Stanton/Coleman - this would probably allow better dialogue and exposition regarding Ghidorah, Mothra + Godzilla, and others
I feel like Coleman and Stanton could've been one character, then it would've been a matter of choosing which elements of the character to highlight. Between the two, I feel like Coleman was a bit more justified as a personality because he was the science guy.

Stanton was almost a ringside commentator that gave you a play-by-play on the action, but didn't really have an actual function the story outside that comedic relief. Coleman was originally supposed to be one of Mark's friends (IIRC), so maybe an actual dynamic between the two might've elevated him above meek science guy.

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

Agreed, potentially combining into one character may have streamlined dialogue and allowed a better insight into another Monarch role.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I'm trying to think of some of the cracks from Rick that didn't bother me. I think it's more the ones that are a little off-hand.

"Hope you got a big wrench."
"Because I plan to have children and preferably ones without flippers."
"I'm saying in 12 minutes it's gonna be a real bad day to be a Red Sox fan."
I did like that he and Chen had something of a sibling-like relationship.

I mean he's no where NEAR the level of a Michael Bay character that's for damn sure. Sure Sam had the infamous Gonorrhea line but I didn't mind him much either.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

Your Boy Leroy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:39 pm I was listening to some of the score last night. I remember saying this here before the film came out, when the score was released prior. The Mothra and Godzilla themes really almost brought tears to my eyes. The fact that beautiful renditions of these themes are in a big budget modern film is really something.
Same, every time I listen to it I feel...I don't know, proud? that these classic themes I've listened to for decades are actually in a modern version. Makes me almost choke up a little sometimes.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:09 pm
spinzilla wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:47 pm going back to KOTM in a post GvK world i think only highlights KOTM's weaknesses even more for me. Everything KOTM does well, GVK does better and everything GVK does bad, KOTM does even worse (for the most part). I will say KOTM probably has the best music of just about any of the films post Heisei. Don't get me wrong, GVK's writing, dialogue and characters are bad but because we spend so much more time with KOTM's cast(or at least it feels that way) the warts are so much more apparent. I think KOTM may be the most ambitious film of the MV bunch but it just tries to do so much that most things come out half baked. I still enjoy it but it is far and away the weakest of the Monsterverse films.
My thoughts exactly. Well, not exactly, since i absolutely despise this film in almost every way, but close enough
I agree as well. KOTM is frustrating for me because there's so much I should enjoy, but I utterly can't. They had all their cards ready for them, but it feel apart. I want to love the film, sadly it either annoys me greatly, or leaves me disappointed with its choice of direction.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos