Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

KaijuKingGojira wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:01 am
Your Boy Leroy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:51 am Stanton’s reference to the, “Let them fight” line from G14 has me shaking my head every time. I like the idea of the callback, especially with Mark Russell’s follow-up line, but the execution was whack.
It really felt like what it was “everyone loves this line from the first movie, let’s can quote it,” but it’s stupid... when the skreeonk else would Serizawa have said it that his team knew of his using that line often? Ugh some really shi**y writing in this movie that gets more noticeable with time tbh.
The writing is the worst part of this movie. It definitely seems to stick out more with time, I agree. When I initially watched it, I was surprised to see how juvenile the jokes were. It felt like some high school students wrote it.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Who knows maybe Serisawa said that about EVERYTHING.
"Uh sir, looks like Dr. Chen and Dr. Stanton are arguing about Dr. Brooks' Hallow Earth theory again! It's getting pretty heated."
"Let them fight." *sips coffee*

spinzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by spinzilla »

going back to KOTM in a post GvK world i think only highlights KOTM's weaknesses even more for me. Everything KOTM does well, GVK does better and everything GVK does bad, KOTM does even worse (for the most part). I will say KOTM probably has the best music of just about any of the films post Heisei. Don't get me wrong, GVK's writing, dialogue and characters are bad but because we spend so much more time with KOTM's cast(or at least it feels that way) the warts are so much more apparent. I think KOTM may be the most ambitious film of the MV bunch but it just tries to do so much that most things come out half baked. I still enjoy it but it is far and away the weakest of the Monsterverse films.
He has told you, O man, what is good;
and fwhat does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,2
and to gwalk humbly with your God?

Micah 6:8
“I will take care of me for you, if you will take care of you for me. ”
― Jim Rohn

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

spinzilla wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:47 pm going back to KOTM in a post GvK world i think only highlights KOTM's weaknesses even more for me. Everything KOTM does well, GVK does better and everything GVK does bad, KOTM does even worse (for the most part). I will say KOTM probably has the best music of just about any of the films post Heisei. Don't get me wrong, GVK's writing, dialogue and characters are bad but because we spend so much more time with KOTM's cast(or at least it feels that way) the warts are so much more apparent. I think KOTM may be the most ambitious film of the MV bunch but it just tries to do so much that most things come out half baked. I still enjoy it but it is far and away the weakest of the Monsterverse films.
My thoughts exactly. Well, not exactly, since i absolutely despise this film in almost every way, but close enough
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

No MV film has come close in terms of grandioseness for me.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:51 pm Who knows maybe Serisawa said that about EVERYTHING.
"Uh sir, looks like Dr. Chen and Dr. Stanton are arguing about Dr. Brooks' Hallow Earth theory again! It's getting pretty heated."
"Let them fight." *sips coffee*
"The arrogance of man is thinking irritating co-workers are under management's control, not the other way around."
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Can't help but love this movie. Flaws and all. Every time I watch, I get the biggest grin on my face. Even the human characters, which aren't the strongest, have a charm to them. I adore this film.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah while KOTM may be the lowest on my Monsterverse scale I still like watching it. That ending still gives me chills. All four MV movies I would have loved as a kid.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

KaijuKingGojira wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:01 am
Your Boy Leroy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:51 am Stanton’s reference to the, “Let them fight” line from G14 has me shaking my head every time. I like the idea of the callback, especially with Mark Russell’s follow-up line, but the execution was whack.
It really felt like what it was “everyone loves this line from the first movie, let’s can quote it,” but it’s stupid... when the skreeonk else would Serizawa have said it that his team knew of his using that line often? Ugh some really shi**y writing in this movie that gets more noticeable with time tbh.
Exactly. That’s practically breaking the 4th wall and looking right into the camera and telling the audience you’re gonna let em fight. A movie should never be that self aware unless it’s supposed to be a parody or something like Deadpool.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:09 pm
My thoughts exactly. Well, not exactly, since i absolutely despise this film in almost every way, but close enough
Obviously no one is going to like every Godzilla movie, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I really don't like Final Wars, even though most people seem to. But there's a difference between not liking a movie and actively hating it with such rage. I don't see how anyone could even consider themselves a Godzilla fan if they absolutely loathe KotM with such venom. Sure it was flawed, but it was such a lovingly crafted homage to the classic films, clearly filled with Dougherty's reverence for the monsters. It treated them with a level of awe that GvsK does not.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Relair wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:34 pm Obviously no one is going to like every Godzilla movie, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I really don't like Final Wars, even though most people seem to. But there's a difference between not liking a movie and actively hating it with such rage. I don't see how anyone could even consider themselves a Godzilla fan if they absolutely loathe KotM with such venom. Sure it was flawed, but it was such a lovingly crafted homage to the classic films, clearly filled with Dougherty's reverence for the monsters. It treated them with a level of awe that GvsK does not.
I don’t actually hate or despise KOTM lol. It’s a 6/10 for me, but that final battle was incredibly disappointing and i like exaggerating lol
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:47 pm
Relair wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:34 pm Obviously no one is going to like every Godzilla movie, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I really don't like Final Wars, even though most people seem to. But there's a difference between not liking a movie and actively hating it with such rage. I don't see how anyone could even consider themselves a Godzilla fan if they absolutely loathe KotM with such venom. Sure it was flawed, but it was such a lovingly crafted homage to the classic films, clearly filled with Dougherty's reverence for the monsters. It treated them with a level of awe that GvsK does not.
I don’t actually hate or despise KOTM lol. It’s a 6/10 for me, but that final battle was incredibly disappointing and i like exaggerating lol
Well that's good, the way you talked about it in various threads was like it ran over your dog and robbed you of every cent you have and you hated it with every fiber of your being! Nothing wrong with some hyperbole now and then I guess lol.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Relair wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:22 pm
Well that's good, the way you talked about it in various threads was like it ran over your dog and robbed you of every cent you have and you hated it with every fiber of your being!
Who’s saying that isn’t the case?

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

I think a bid problem is looking at it retrospectively after GvK, you begging to realise that they CAN do a fight scene that is clearly visible, unobscured and with terrific choreography as well as having the human cutaway/s done right. When team Kong come out of HE, it’s still involved in the fight and doesn’t detract. With Godzilla fighting Ghidorah and Mothra fight Rodan... well Godzilla fighting Kong shouldn’t be so far above that, it should have been a damn masterpiece of Kaiju fighting.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

GvK has given me a new appreciation for the MV as a whole. This film is leagues better now that KOTM has happened. Just makes all the moments actually feel like they mean something in the grander scheme of things.
Spoiler:
Especially the fact that MechaG is Ghidorah. I don't think it's just Kevin like those memes say either. That's be ridiculous. I'm sure the entire conscious has healed itself and simply resides in the only remaining piece of it's body currently. Which is the skull.
What's weird is why it hasn't regenerated if it's still alive? Biding time perhaps? Maybe Ghidorah is also intelligent and planned this? Who knows.
Last edited by ernesth100 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

ernesth100 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:22 am I don't think it's just Kevin like those memes say either. That'd be ridiculous.
The memes aren't the ones implying MG is Kevin, the movie is the one implying this.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Jaqua92
Interpol Agent

Post by Jaqua92 »

ernesth100 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:22 am GvK has given me a new appreciation for the MV as a whole. This film is leagues better now that KOTM has happened. Just makes all the moments actually feel like they mean something in the grander scheme of things.
Spoiler:
Especially the fact that MechaG is Ghidorah. I don't think it's just Kevin like those memes say either. That's be ridiculous. I'm sure the entire conscious has healed itself and simply resides in the only remaining piece of it's body currently. Which is the skull.
What's weird is why it hasn't regenerated if it's still alive? Biding time perhaps? Maybe Ghidorah is also intelligent and planned this? Who knows.
Most overlooked part of this movie, imo.

Ghidorah isn't done. And I think he will continue to have a presence over the MV. Ghidorah being the boss battle in two films in a row is hilarious.

I'm just imagining Ghidorah's life. Comes to earth, fucks shit up. Gets sent into the ice by Godzilla and friends. Wakes up, minutes later, Godzilla. Almost takes over the world. Fights Godzilla again. Dies in a fire explosion. 5 years later, awakens in a giant machine body, seconds later, Godzilla.

The titans have some level of sentience, but general hatred doesn't happen much in film that includes creatures. The titans are sentient enough that Ghidorah having an almost human like hate for Godzilla is something they can run with.

I hope the monsterverse continues. I hope we get a full on Mechaghidorah. Then, I hope we get a fully revived Ghidorah again for a Destroy all monsters deal. Then, a kaiser Ghidorah down the line.

I just want to see as much of him as possible, and making him the biggest threat and a reoccurring villain would be so dun
Please check out the first battle in the Tohokingdom Monsterverse Battle Thread/Tier project! First battle is Nuke Amped Boston Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31251

System intro below.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31260&p=1820343#p1820343

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I like calling that third head Kevin but I don't them to call him that in the movie. As I told a friend after seeing it "Godzilla vs. Kong: Kevin Is Pissed Now!"

Also apparently the novelization of GvK mentions that Apex created the Oxygen Destroyer which lines up with what Simmons says about 'first seeing Godzilla ten years ago' and basically wanting to knock him down a peg.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

TriassicTerror wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:32 pm Does anyone else feel like the Mothra wings in Burning Godzilla's pulses look really hokey? I don't think having them visible in the blast is a bad idea but the way it's edited in looks really weird to me. It's like a flat PNG being dragged across the shot.
You're right, actually. Even a quick superimposed animation of the wings flapping or something would've worked.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I don't how it looks in the movie...but if there's ever a final MV Godzilla movie I'd like to see Fire Godzilla again but this time the wings are always on him like say this.
https://i0.wp.com/media.criticalhit.net ... illa-3.jpg

Not enough to fly of course but hey extra limbs.
Last edited by daveblackeye15 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.