Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dv-218
Futurian

Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Dv-218 »

GojiDog wrote:If they had done the 3v1, I personally would have felt like it was too similar to Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster.

I liked what they did with Rodan as they showed off his destructive power, and used him to highlight the social dynamics among the monsters.

Also we got Rodan Vs. Mothra for the first time ever. That's kind of amazing that they never really fought each other before this film. The closest we ever got was Mothra Larva webbing Rodan to get him to stop fighting Godzilla in Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster. So to finally see them clash in this movie was a bit of a treat for me.
Yeah same. Although I wish there was more of it, what we did see of the Rodan/Mothra fight was hella cool. The Eagle like aerial strikes he displayed there and in the Ghidorah fight before were a nice touch.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Dv-218 wrote:
GojiDog wrote:If they had done the 3v1, I personally would have felt like it was too similar to Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster.

I liked what they did with Rodan as they showed off his destructive power, and used him to highlight the social dynamics among the monsters.

Also we got Rodan Vs. Mothra for the first time ever. That's kind of amazing that they never really fought each other before this film. The closest we ever got was Mothra Larva webbing Rodan to get him to stop fighting Godzilla in Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster. So to finally see them clash in this movie was a bit of a treat for me.
Yeah same. Although I wish there was more of it, what we did see of the Rodan/Mothra fight was hella cool. The Eagle like aerial strikes he displayed there and in the Ghidorah fight before were a nice touch.
Thanks to the CG, Rodan really showed his prowess in an aerial battle this time around. Rodan and Mothra also moved at super fast speeds, way faster than the flying MUTO from 14 IMO.

Still, in my idea, he would be unbrainwashed by Mothra and wake up in time to go for a 3v1 which would also kinda work (it's just a small part for my whole idea which i might post later or maybe write a fic about. It involves a 3 way between Goji, Rodan and Ghiddy too).
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

Thanks to the CG, Rodan really showed his prowess in an aerial battle this time around. Rodan and Mothra also moved at super fast speeds, way faster than the flying MUTO from 14 IMO.

Still, in my idea, he would be unbrainwashed by Mothra and wake up in time to go for a 3v1 which would also kinda work (it's just a small part for my whole idea which i might post later or maybe write a fic about. It involves a 3 way between Goji, Rodan and Ghiddy too).
Yeah that's how I feel as well. His aerial manuevours against the "Raptor" Ospreys in Mexico were pretty damn epic. My favorite moments are probably when he simultaneously causes several of them to explode by closing his wings like a torpedo, and then his "barrel roll" coupled with snatching the jets. The movie really did justice to his key abilities of speed and agility in the air imo.

But yeah, I agree that even though I actually liked his portrayal in the movie, it would have been awesome to see Rodan realize that Ghidorah is the actual threat, and "redeem" himself in a way by joining Godzilla and Mothra against him. Would have definitely given his character more to go for personality wise. Your idea sounds rather cool.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Then by extension the 1v1 fight we got is too similar to GvKG 91. Heck, if Godzilla vs Kong doesn’t have them team up in the end it will feel too similar to Kong vs Godzilla 1962. We’ve had 30 movies, at this point it’s almost impossible not to have some similarities. As long as the fight didn’t play out frame for frame the same as GTTHM, a 3 v 1 would’ve been fine. I like the idea I’ve seen where we still get Mothra vs. Rodan, then after getting beat by Mothra Rodan joins the fight against Ghidorah as a tie breaker. That would shake things up enough.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I was a little sad that we didn't get Godzilla vs. Rodan but I really appreciate how well they did Godzilla vs. Ghidorah. I mean I thought it did Ghidorah justice in being so tough and dangerous. I love that he's in charge and not under control of Emma and Jonah.

I'm sure 3 to 1 would have been very fun but it seems like it's been a while since we had a two vs two. Well okay it was more like two battles side by side than say Godzilla and Jet vs. Gigan and Megalon. I love Mothra vs. Rodan so I was happy with the handling of all the monsters. I do want to see Rodan win a fight though.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

daveblackeye15 wrote:I was a little sad that we didn't get Godzilla vs. Rodan but I really appreciate how well they did Godzilla vs. Ghidorah. I mean I thought it did Ghidorah justice in being so tough and dangerous. I love that he's in charge and not under control of Emma and Jonah.

I'm sure 3 to 1 would have been very fun but it seems like it's been a while since we had a two vs two. Well okay it was more like two battles side by side than say Godzilla and Jet vs. Gigan and Megalon. I love Mothra vs. Rodan so I was happy with the handling of all the monsters. I do want to see Rodan win a fight though.
This. After several movies playing on this very concept, it was fantastic to see a truly evil and destructive Ghidorah that isn't someone's mind-controlled b*tch.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

I definitely agree with your latter point. I think something I wanted even more than that was Godzilla fighting Rodan. So, that was a bit disappointing
Long Live The King

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

I would have liked to see something more like a 3 vs 1 battle initially, and as the battle progressed, Mothra gets taken out of the fight temporarily. Godzilla and Rodan then try their best against Ghidorah until Rodan is eventually beaten temporarily. Godzilla then takes Ghidorah on by himself, starts to falter, and then Mothra can do her sacrifice as seen in the film. Rodan resurfaces and helps a super charged Godzilla finish off Ghidorah. I think that, with some polish, would've satisfied a good number of viewers. This would also extend the final battle.

In combination with using the Antarctica battle as a way to knock Godzilla out instead of the Oxygen Destroyer, and with Ghidorah destruction scenes, this could knock down the pacing to something more comfortable, and add needed plot significance to Rodan.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

And now for something completely different:

This movie made one hell of a first impression with that intro though. No opening credits, but those THEATER SHAKING STOMPS AND SIGNATURE ROAR!! That was CHILLING!
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Makes me wish I could experience Gojira in the theater with the opening steps.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

GuardianGhido wrote:And now for something completely different:

This movie made one hell of a first impression with that intro though. No opening credits, but those THEATER SHAKING STOMPS AND SIGNATURE ROAR!! That was CHILLING!
I know right? The Babylonian/Sumerian styled logo carvings coupled with the classic "stomp, stomp, skreeonk" opening legit gave me goosebumps.
The eerie aura of the SF flashback was hella cool too.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I think someone may have pointed this out but evidently Scylla is somehow able to reverse icecaps melting in Antarctica; does she have ice powers that we never saw or something?
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

A curious question to you all? How would you have liked the movie if it was King Ghidorah sending monsters to fight Godzilla and defeating them until finally facing King Ghidorah for said title?

Better, as good or worst?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

G2000 wrote:I think someone may have pointed this out but evidently Scylla is somehow able to reverse icecaps melting in Antarctica; does she have ice powers that we never saw or something?
and Behemoth somehow can grow trees just by walking around. i wonder how the Titans do those kinda things...

Added in 1 minute 49 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:A curious question to you all? How would you have liked the movie if it was King Ghidorah sending monsters to fight Godzilla and defeating them until finally facing King Ghidorah for said title?

Better, as good or worst?
eh, i don't think it would be much good. we've seen Godzilla run a "Kaiju Gauntlet before facing the final boss" idea in Final Wars so i feel it would just be a rehash.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

G2000 wrote:I think someone may have pointed this out but evidently Scylla is somehow able to reverse icecaps melting in Antarctica; does she have ice powers that we never saw or something?
That's actually something I wondered about during the credits of my 2nd viewing. Like, how does she do that? Does her body radiate cold fluids in some way and cools off the surrounding area, or does she literally have an ability to generate ice naturally using water? While it probably won't, but it would be cool to see it expanded upon in a profile (no pun intended lol :lol: ).
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Dv-218 wrote:
That's actually something I wondered about during the credits of my 2nd viewing. Like, how does she do that? Does her body radiate cold fluids in some way and cools off the surrounding area, or does she literally have an ability to generate ice naturally using water? While it probably won't, but it would be cool to see it expanded upon in a profile (no pun intended lol :lol: ).
Maybe her ink is at freezing temperature?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

tyrantgoji wrote:and Behemoth somehow can grow trees just by walking around. i wonder how the Titans do those kinda things...
Didn't I hear that's through its feces it drops which fertilizes ground whenever it drops?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Maybe her ink is at freezing temperature?
Ooh that's a good explanation. Makes sense with her cephalopod like nature.

Added in 2 minutes 45 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:and Behemoth somehow can grow trees just by walking around. i wonder how the Titans do those kinda things...
Didn't I hear that's through its feces it drops which fertilizes ground whenever it drops?
Yeah, the credits imply that Titan excrements are basically natural fertilizers, causing massive plant growth burts- that's how Behemoth's activity practically restored large portions of the amazon rainforest. Basically, a gigantic scale version of how Elephant sh*t helps plant growth in the African savannah.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dv-218 wrote:

Added in 2 minutes 45 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Yeah, the credits imply that Titan excrements are basically natural fertilizers, causing massive plant growth burts- that's how Behemoth's activity practically restored large portions of the amazon rainforest. Basically, a gigantic scale version of how Elephant sh*t helps plant growth in the African savannah.
oh, that makes sense... it's gross but it makes sense!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I've been reading bits of the art book and I'm disappointed Dr. Chen didn't get an entry. I mean Sam gets one, sure paired up with Rick, and Dr. Graham got paired up with Serisaw but I don't see in the entry list anything for Dr. Chen. Oh well. I figured she'd get one sooner than Sam.