Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again.

A Mothra solo movie set in ancient China with Battra as the villain, giving them this yin and yang dynamic, would be perfect.
Keep Battra and the Ying Yang dynamic but make Bagan the villian.

Bagan can then later challange Godzilla in a mini Bagan arc.
That literally defeats the purpose of that dynamic. Battra should be a pure evil mothra if he ever appears again. Not an aggressive Earth defender like he originally was.
I mean, I'm not really in a position to argue it, but isn't the yin/yang concept not so much straight good/evil as it is a creation/destruction kinda deal? Where both are needed to keep things in balance? Regardless personally I feel boiling Battra down to "evil Mothra" robs him of the complexity that makes him interesting. I don't have any issue with leaving him as the sole antagonist, but the execution should be much more interesting and nuanced than just "I'm you but evil, try and stop me", we've seen that enough in the MCU. :P

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Keep Battra and the Ying Yang dynamic but make Bagan the villian.

Bagan can then later challange Godzilla in a mini Bagan arc.
That literally defeats the purpose of that dynamic. Battra should be a pure evil mothra if he ever appears again. Not an aggressive Earth defender like he originally was.
I mean, I'm not really in a position to argue it, but isn't the yin/yang concept not so much straight good/evil as it is a creation/destruction kinda deal? Where both are needed to keep things in balance? Regardless personally I feel boiling Battra down to "evil Mothra" robs him of the complexity that makes him interesting. I don't have any issue with leaving him as the sole antagonist, but the execution should be much more interesting and nuanced than just "I'm you but evil, try and stop me", we've seen that enough in the MCU. :P
You know what? You're absolutely right. I take back that portion of what I said. I was just trying to shoot down Bagan as the villain.

Although tbh I still wouldn't mind a pure evil Battra. But sticking to what really makes it Yin/Yang is a better idea.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

DirektorSplennic wrote:That literally defeats the purpose of that dynamic. Battra should be a pure evil mothra if he ever appears again. Not an aggressive Earth defender like he originally was.
Ah but the Yin Yang symbols have a little bit of each other in them, hence why Battra and Mothra were able to put aside their differences to Godzilla in Heisei. Mothra has been shown she can be angered into a destructive rage and Battra has been shown he can be merciful.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

This movie is fine. I like Mothra.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Unfortunately, I'm among those who downright hate this movie. Which is a shame, because I waited five excruciatingly long years to see it, and yet it turned out nothing like what I hoped.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Shadowfyre
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shadowfyre »

I liked it. Not what it was hyped to be and was dissapointed by some of the fight scenes but still enjoyed it

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I thought it was def what it was hyped to be, and then some.

Give me a Heisei/Showa/Millenium blend of a film with all of their respective issues included, any day.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Man, I wish I could love this film like some of you, I really do. But all I see is a film that overall is ugly as hell to look at with piss poor color filters, very inconsistent in regards to quality CGI, terrible dialogue, misuse of actors/characters (Charles Dance/ Alan Jonah), bad fight choreography (in Boston mostly), loss of scale/bad camera placement...among other issues. I still don't hate it, far from that...just nowhere near as good as I wanted it to be

Italian G-Fan
Interpol Agent

Post by Italian G-Fan »

I’ll be honest, at the beginning I wasn’t very excited for this movie when it was announced way back on 2014. Not even when it was revealed that Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra would have been present. Godzilla 2014 has left a terrible taste in my mouth (and still does to this day) and I wasn’t interested to any of its sequels to come. Then the first trailer was released on a July 2018 at the SDCC... and it was spectacular. Somehow that trailer made me excited for the sequel of a movie that I hated (and made me also cry in joy). With time that passed and more trailers were released I got more excited until the day the movie was officially released. And what can I say? I liked it. A lot even. It was better than G2014 and it was everything I was hoping for... well, almost everything because I admit that this movie has many flaws. But not as many as G2014. Is it a perfect movie? Absolutely not. It is terrible? Nope. But it was definitely a great and fun movie, and perhaps the best American Godzilla movie we’ve got until now. I liked it, I still do and definitely will continue to.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

So, spoilers obviously, but why did this movie kill all of the characters that were in the previous movie?
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Shoopwoop17 wrote:So, spoilers obviously, but why did this movie kill all of the characters that were in the previous movie?
It killed 2, the General's death does not count as it was a deleted scene. That's 2 out of like 10 people from the first film.

Serizawa's sacrifice was a focal point of KOTM, and his assistant was killed so that Serizawa could realize what kind of stakes they were dealing with.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Shoopwoop17 wrote:So, spoilers obviously, but why did this movie kill all of the characters that were in the previous movie?
It killed 2, the General's death does not count as it was a deleted scene. That's 2 out of like 10 people from the first film.

Serizawa's sacrifice was a focal point of KOTM, and his assistant was killed so that Serizawa could realize what kind of stakes they were dealing with.
True, I should say: why did it kill all of the characters from the previous movie that were in this movie?

Second, do you think that was the purpose of Graham's death? To me it felt as though it was only for shock value. I didn't feel any change in Serizawa's character before and after her death.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Shoopwoop17 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

True, I should say: why did it kill all of the characters from the previous movie that were in this movie?

Second, do you think that was the purpose of Graham's death? To me it felt as though it was only for shock value. I didn't feel any change in Serizawa's character before and after her death.
I think, while it did feel like shock value, the feeling of remorse imo was shown in Serizawa up until his sacrifice. But it could've been focused on more, i agree.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Yeah, Graham's death was pretty cheap. They had no reason to kill her off.

it wasn't even a well executed death scene. I remember, in the theater, not realizing she was dead until after the Antarctica fight.
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm not against the idea of Graham being killed per say but yeah, she needed a more dignified death rather than "quick chomp" for being such an important character in G14.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

I will say it feels wrong to not have any single connective tissue (human characters) to either Godzilla (2014) and Kong: Skull Island in Godzilla vs Kong.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Moogabunga wrote:I will say it feels wrong to not have any single connective tissue (human characters) to either Godzilla (2014) and Kong: Skull Island in Godzilla vs Kong.
For what's supposed to be a connected universe, it's an absolute shitshow.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Except Brooks. Mind you the character only had a tiny cameo in KotM but won't be surprised if his role is expanded upon in GvK. If not it'll be a big missed opportunity. Graham's death means nothing to me because she was barely there in G14 to begin with.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'd rather a connective universe INO, outside of little references. Less like MCU, more like it's own thing, which i think it's doing superbly.

I think it was a pretty common argument when KOTM came out, "where's the Brody family", and the most common response was "these are giant Titans, their stories are told across the world at various times, these people don't have to be exactly where the monster is at all times", which was also a big complaint of G14.. "Why was Godzilla following Brody the whole time"

I say if there's a story you want to tell and it takes place over the course of 6 films, so be it, it's still connected even if you don't bring back everyone and their grandmas.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

_JNavs_ wrote:which was also a big complaint of G14.. "Why was Godzilla following Brody the whole time"
Wasn't it actually the other way around though?
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.