Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Chances of Gamera in Monsterverse

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:I wouldn't go as far to say the MonsterVerse will definitely end after GvK. Even if WB loses the rights to Godzilla, they'll be able to keep Kong's a lot easier, so there's that.

But acting like Gamera would bring in the GA though is just plain silly and makes some of you sound a tad out of touch with reality. I like Gamera too, don't get me wrong, but America just isn't going to take a risk with someone as no name as him and if Toho's biggest mon-stars couldn't bring in audiences, why would Gamera?

There WILL be another Gamera movie one day, it just won't come from over here.

I think this thread should be locked.
True Rodan and Mothra couldn't bring in more people on their own, since most people have no clue who they are - however that only matters in a Godzilla movie. People already know if they're going to see Godzilla or not, he and Kong are the only monsters the GA recognize, and who they're fighting just doesn't matter (unless their fighting each other). But you don't need name recognition for a solo/stand-alone film, Pacific Rim, Rampage, and The Meg have all proved that. Gamera on his own can do what those three did, in a movie with either Godzilla or Kong he adds nothing because only Kong and Godzilla matter in those films monster-wise.
Yeah those movies were good,but some part of why they did so well was star power. If Legendary made a Gamera film and had someone like John Cena in it,it could do better. but if they chose lesser actors it might do worse.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

A solo Dreamworks Gamera movie might do well. It’d have to skew very young. Think Kung Fu Panda or How to Train a Dragon...

But why pay for the intellectual property costs when it probably wouldn’t add to the box office appeal? Just create an original property at that rate

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

If the biggest Hollywood Godzilla movie in scope failed to bring in PR, Rampage, and Meg numbers, what makes you think Gamera of all things could :lol:

Your argument falls flat when you take into consideration GKOTM.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:I wouldn't go as far to say the MonsterVerse will definitely end after GvK. Even if WB loses the rights to Godzilla, they'll be able to keep Kong's a lot easier, so there's that.

But acting like Gamera would bring in the GA though is just plain silly and makes some of you sound a tad out of touch with reality. I like Gamera too, don't get me wrong, but America just isn't going to take a risk with someone as no name as him and if Toho's biggest mon-stars couldn't bring in audiences, why would Gamera?

There WILL be another Gamera movie one day, it just won't come from over here.

I think this thread should be locked.
True Rodan and Mothra couldn't bring in more people on their own, since most people have no clue who they are - however that only matters in a Godzilla movie. People already know if they're going to see Godzilla or not, he and Kong are the only monsters the GA recognize, and who they're fighting just doesn't matter (unless their fighting each other). But you don't need name recognition for a solo/stand-alone film, Pacific Rim, Rampage, and The Meg have all proved that. Gamera on his own can do what those three did, in a movie with either Godzilla or Kong he adds nothing because only Kong and Godzilla matter in those films monster-wise.
Yeah those movies were good,but some part of why they did so well was star power. If Legendary made a Gamera film and had someone like John Cena in it,it could do better. but if they chose lesser actors it might do worse.
Agreed, they really need to utilize their star power better. KotM didn't even have any celebrities I recognized, outside the 2014 guys.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Put Keanu or someone in these films and I would agree that they’d do better at the BO.

But the next film won’t have that. In fact the stars are even less recognizable. Thankfully Kong will bring the audience I think.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Just because you didn’t recognize them doesn’t mean they weren’t big stars, GKOTM had the benifit of catering to not only the Game Of Thrones fanbase, but Stranger Things as well.
Long Live The Sting

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

king_ghidorah wrote:Put Keanu or someone in these films and I would agree that they’d do better at the BO.

But the next film won’t have that. In fact the stars are even less recognizable. Thankfully Kong will bring the audience I think.
i mean, he's Kong. he's a celebrity in itself! :lol:

And yet (and feel free to say i'm wrong) he never got on the Hollywood hall of fame?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Stump Feet wrote:If the biggest Hollywood Godzilla movie in scope failed to bring in PR, Rampage, and Meg numbers, what makes you think Gamera of all things could :lol:

Because it isn't GKotM? Why do you assume it would perform like the one outlier in giant monster movies this decade as opposed to performing like all the other giant monster movies this decade? Just percentage wise the odds are more favorable it'll be a PR/Rampage/Meg level success than anything else.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

king_ghidorah wrote:Because there’s zero evidence that the powers that be want this to happen. In fact. Toho has shot this down in recent history.

Kadakowa can’t secure enough money to even make a solo Gamera film which isn’t very attractive for anyone wanting to rent or purchase the rights.

Then you have the fact that the MV franchise is performing drastically below expectations.

So from both perspectives it’s unlikely at best. Yet we have 13 pages or whatever here of people saying otherwise.

It’s fine to HOPE. It’s fine to WANT Gamera to fight Godzilla in a movie. But it’s questionable to think or argue that it’s going to happen, especially in the American franchise.

That’s what I have a problem with. It’s then sheer denial of facts and business practices here.

I’m not coming at this from the perspective of a hater. I LOVE Gamera. I want more Gamera films. I love the Monsterverse films...flawed as they are.

But I’m also going to be realistic with my expectations and not get defensive if someone actually cites box office figures and historical context.
Kotm is performing below expectations the MV is performing ahead of the mcu in their first two outings. If you take the first 3 films for both the MV is still not that far behind the MCU, plus we don't know what numbers GvsK will bring in.

We don't know what is going on behind the scenes Legendary, we know Gamera is in the kotm artbook, we know a giant turtle was placed in the opening of skull island and we know Doughtery has directly stayed he would love to see Gamera in the monsterverse.

We also know Gamers's owners stated they were working on something big but couldn't say what it is.

Is he likely for the MV, likely not but I wouldn't say it's impossible and I don't think it's crazy to speculate on a fourm about giant monsters.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

There was no giant turtle at the beginning of KSI, it was an ex ray of a common turtle species lol
Long Live The Sting

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Vakanai wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:If the biggest Hollywood Godzilla movie in scope failed to bring in PR, Rampage, and Meg numbers, what makes you think Gamera of all things could :lol:

Because it isn't GKotM? Why do you assume it would perform like the one outlier in giant monster movies this decade as opposed to performing like all the other giant monster movies this decade? Just percentage wise the odds are more favorable it'll be a PR/Rampage/Meg level success than anything else.

I wouldn’t recommend citing those three films as successes. One got a sequel that crashed at the bo. One MIGHT get a sequel and one isn’t. And none of those initial films really set things on fire. They were “fine”. The hope was in PRs case that the sequel would do better.

Anyways. My point being those are only successes if you’re looking at them compared to GKOTM. That should tell you just how drastically that film underperformed.

As a whole. Monster films barely break even. They don’t make good tent poles which is what they’d need to be to make up for the effects budget for more MV films

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Stump Feet wrote:Just because you didn’t recognize them doesn’t mean they weren’t big stars, GKOTM had the benifit of catering to not only the Game Of Thrones fanbase, but Stranger Things as well.
TV stars in an ensemble cast who have/had yet to take the lead role in film are unproven. If the whole Stranger Things or GoT cast was in it, then maybe. And even then you don't know if the audience is willing to follow them in something else. A lot of people who were famous in one series had trouble turning that fame into success in other films or series. A star with several hits under their belt would have been a safer, more reliable choice.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Stump Feet wrote:There was no giant turtle at the beginning of KSI, it was an ex ray of a common turtle species lol
It was bigger than a normal turtle. Could have been a magma turtle but I feel it was an Easter egg.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

miguelnuva wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:There was no giant turtle at the beginning of KSI, it was an ex ray of a common turtle species lol
It was bigger than a normal turtle. Could have been a magnum turtle but I feel it was an Easter egg.
Bro.

I admire your enthusiasm.

But you’re not being rational with any of this.

Are you a black hole or something....because you’re dense AF.

;p

I kid. But seriously. I’m not sure you’re being very realistic about anything you’re talking about.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

miguelnuva wrote:
It was bigger than a normal turtle. Could have been a magnum turtle but I feel it was an Easter egg.
Please inform me how this looks like a giant turtle to you

Or better yet, how you’re exactly able to measure the size of a sketch?
Last edited by Stump Feet on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Stump Feet wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

Why would Monarch be looking at a normal Turtle. Like I said maybe it's a Magma Turtle, maybe it's an Easter egg. All I'm saying is there has been a couple of possible illusions to Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

king_ghidorah wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

I wouldn’t recommend citing those three films as successes. One got a sequel that crashed at the bo. One MIGHT get a sequel and one isn’t. And none of those initial films really set things on fire. They were “fine”. The hope was in PRs case that the sequel would do better.

Anyways. My point being those are only successes if you’re looking at them compared to GKOTM. That should tell you just how drastically that film underperformed.

As a whole. Monster films barely break even. They don’t make good tent poles which is what they’d need to be to make up for the effects budget for more MV films
Kong Skull Island and G14 did fine. Pac Rim did fine. Rampage was a success with audiences. Meg did numbers.

Uprising was dumpster trash because they went back on everything that made the first good. Felt like a Disney XD film.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

king_ghidorah wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Bro.

I admire your enthusiasm.

But you’re not being rational with any of this.

Are you a black hole or something....because you’re dense AF.

;p

I kid. But seriously. I’m not sure you’re being very realistic about anything you’re talking about.
Yep, same thing happened to me in 2013 when I asked if we might get a new King Kong vs Godzilla movie.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

miguelnuva wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

Why would Monarch be looking at a normal Turtle. Like I said maybe it's a Magma Turtle, maybe it's an Easter egg. All I'm saying is there has been a couple of possible illusions to Gamera.
Sounds like backpeddling to me, Monarch could easily be looking into biology in animals, nothing about this screams “giant turtle” although I’m still eager to hear what super skills you used to measure this sketch.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

king_ghidorah wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

1. Sequels have nothing to do with it, a success is a success. PR2 doesn't take away from PR. Meg getting a sequel is great but it was still a success even if it hadn't. Rampage was still a moderate success too.

2. "Fine" is still fine, they made profit off these movies. Sequels wouldn't have happened or be happening if the studios hadn't made enough profit to at least interest them in pursuing these types of films.

There's nothing wrong with the films I cited, and if a Gamera movie did that well it too would be a moderate, profitable success.