MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
Hokmuto
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Postby Hokmuto » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:41 pm

dillonking55 wrote:Once again, Pkmatrix is right on the money! If they trim the budgets to something closer to Rampage/The Meg/Bumblebee (all of which looked great), I think this franchise can keep on pumping $$$ for Legendary/WB.

They just need to keep them in better/less competitive release dates & not have audiences wait 5 years for the next installments

AND have big name stars attached to them. More The Rock, less Skarsgard
Long Live The King

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Hokmuto wrote:
dillonking55 wrote:Once again, Pkmatrix is right on the money! If they trim the budgets to something closer to Rampage/The Meg/Bumblebee (all of which looked great), I think this franchise can keep on pumping $$$ for Legendary/WB.

They just need to keep them in better/less competitive release dates & not have audiences wait 5 years for the next installments

AND have big name stars attached to them. More The Rock, less Skarsgard

Again, that's not the fault of the studio.

Godzilla2000Zero
Futurian

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:11 pm

I'd rather have people who can act than some big names and Kyle Chandler was awesome if you want a big name watch Skull Island and see how bland Tom Huddleston was he just sucked
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:03 pm

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:I'd rather have people who can act than some big names and Kyle Chandler was awesome if you want a big name watch Skull Island and see how bland Tom Huddleston was he just sucked

This is true, but the fault is primarily on KSI's script for failing to utilize any of its star actors.

I'm still extremely mad that they wasted John Goodman to satisfy a string of horror movie cliches.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Godzilla2000Zero
Futurian

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:28 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:I'd rather have people who can act than some big names and Kyle Chandler was awesome if you want a big name watch Skull Island and see how bland Tom Huddleston was he just sucked

This is true, but the fault is primarily on KSI's script for failing to utilize any of its star actors.

I'm still extremely mad that they wasted John Goodman to satisfy a string of horror movie cliches.

At the very least I remember everyone except Conrad and yeah Prophet Randa was my favorite character was right about alot of things a man ahead of his time
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

GuardianGhido
Interpol Agent

Postby GuardianGhido » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:52 am

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:

At the very least I remember everyone except Conrad and yeah Prophet Randa was my favorite character was right about alot of things a man ahead of his time

But still, having some big name actors brought in the GA, that's the problem with KOTM's cast. Whether they can act or not, a lot of people didn't watch the movie simply because there aren't any hugely famous actors in it whereas they did for Skull Island regardless of the roles those actors played. Even in 2014, Bryan Cranston only lasted for a tiny fraction of the movie yet a ton of people went to see it (then got disappointed when he got killed off and gave it bad WOM, but still).
The Monsterverse needs some serious star power if they want anyone but Godzilla fans to watch them. And even then, they'd watch superhero flicks or pretty much anything else anyday so avoiding competition is also first priority.
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:
Valkanai wrote:Bad luck had absolutely everything to do with those numbers, and denying that is just kind of being a hater.

You heard it here folks, if you have ANY criticisms towards this movie at all, you’re a bonafide Hater

That's... not what he said, dude.

Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Postby Pkmatrix » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:13 am

Thanks! :)

The tough thing, really, is that movies take time to make - usually two to three years - which is how we ended up with KOTM coming out five years later. K:SI/KOTM/GvK were all greenlit around the same time, but they treated K:SI as the pilot for the MonsterVerse and really only proceeded with the other two after K:SI did well.

That's why I don't think we'll see the next MonsterVerse film until 2022 or 2023, because I don't expect the next one to be greenlit until next Summer at the earliest.

But, if they can trim the budgets down to Rampage/The Meg/Bumblebee levels while maintaining the $400M to $550M worldwide grosses, they'll be able to really maximize their profits here and keep this chugging along. :)

Hokmuto wrote:AND have big name stars attached to them. More The Rock, less Skarsgard

I think the bigger name stars is important as well. In my opinion, KOTM tried to lean too heavily on the strength of Godzilla's brand name alone and while that can get you quite far I can't help but wonder how much further it could have gone had they gotten just one bigger name in either of the lead roles.

GuardianGhido wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:This is true, but the fault is primarily on KSI's script for failing to utilize any of its star actors.

But still, having some big name actors brought in the GA, that's the problem with KOTM's cast. Whether they can act or not, a lot of people didn't watch the movie simply because there aren't any hugely famous actors in it whereas they did for Skull Island regardless of the roles those actors played. Even in 2014, Bryan Cranston only lasted for a tiny fraction of the movie yet a ton of people went to see it (then got disappointed when he got killed off and gave it bad WOM, but still).
The Monsterverse needs some serious star power if they want anyone but Godzilla fans to watch them. And even then, they'd watch superhero flicks or pretty much anything else anyday so avoiding competition is also first priority.

I think the star power is more important than avoiding competition, though obviously they should steer clear of any films likely to be bigger hits. But, looking at the three films, it's not hard to draw the conclusion that these need bigger names attached if the studios want them to do better. K:SI is the highest grossing MonsterVerse film and all the main roles are well-known popular actors.

Godzilla2000Zero
Futurian

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:22 am

Sure lets recast with Dwayne Johnson and Scarlett Johanson instead I'm sure it would've been a better movie.
No thanks

GuardianGhido
Interpol Agent

Postby GuardianGhido » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:30 am

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Sure lets recast with Dwayne Johnson and Scarlett Johanson instead I'm sure it would've been a better movie.
No thanks

It might help keep the Monsterverse alive. If that works, I'm not complaining. I like smaller actors too (Especially if they act well) but the movies need to make money and that's only possible by bringing in normies who would watch for famous people instead of famous monsters.
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:
Valkanai wrote:Bad luck had absolutely everything to do with those numbers, and denying that is just kind of being a hater.

You heard it here folks, if you have ANY criticisms towards this movie at all, you’re a bonafide Hater

Vakanai
Interpol Agent

Postby Vakanai » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:32 am

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Sure lets recast with Dwayne Johnson and Scarlett Johanson instead I'm sure it would've been a better movie.
No thanks

A better movie? No. A more profitable movie? Probably. Sadly, but probably. And we need these films to be profitable if they are to continue.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

Godzilla2000Zero
Futurian

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:34 am

GuardianGhido wrote:
No thanks

It might help keep the Monsterverse alive. If that works, I'm not complaining. I like smaller actors too (Especially if they act well) but the movies need to make money and that's only possible by bringing in normies who would watch for famous people instead of famous monsters.

As long as they can get big names who can act I'll support this. Still think Kyle Chandler was awesome through.

Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Postby Pkmatrix » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:43 am

No thanks

Like Vakanai said, probably not a better movie. But, it's pretty easy to see how the movie could be making a ton more than it is had they cast an A-lister like Scarlett Johansson to play Emma Russell.

Godzilla2000Zero
Futurian

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:57 am

Pkmatrix wrote:
No thanks

Like Vakanai said, probably not a better movie. But, it's pretty easy to see how the movie could be making a ton more than it is had they cast an A-lister like Scarlett Johansson to play Emma Russell.

There has to be a compromise though if they're gonna have big names it better be ones that can act I still believe in quality over quantity

AtomicMorningBreath
Yin-Yang Master

Postby AtomicMorningBreath » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:03 am

As great as the execution of Serizawa's sacrifice was, I am somewhat disappointed that there really are no character/actor links to G14 anymore. Sure there's Admiral Stenz, but that is just a side character, and one I don't see them centering the MonsterVerse around. And with KSI being a prequel, we probably won't see Hiddleston, Larson & Reilly again. I hope they can find a solid A-lister to be the one consistent actor to have a major role in the MV going forward. If it continues of course.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

GuardianGhido
Interpol Agent

Postby GuardianGhido » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:08 am

AtomicMorningBreath wrote:As great as the execution of Serizawa's sacrifice was, I am somewhat disappointed that there really are no character/actor links to G14 anymore. Sure there's Admiral Stenz, but that is just a side character, and one I don't see them centering the MonsterVerse around. And with KSI being a prequel, we probably won't see Hiddleston, Larson & Reilly again. I hope they can find a solid A-lister to be the one consistent actor to have a major role in the MV going forward. If it continues of course.

MBB could eventually become a crowdbringer if the Monsterverse continues and she remains a Monsterverse Main Character. Charles Dance also did a wonderful job as a villain with his small screentime and I'm sure he'll make more important appearances as a Monsterverse Main Character later, eventually catching the eye of enough GoT fans and normies too.
But I agree we need an A-lister for another Monsterverse Main Character to act as an immediate crowdbringer. (A part of me also hopes for Don Frye eventually, though that's just a fantasy)
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:

Vakanai
Interpol Agent

Postby Vakanai » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:15 am

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
No thanks

There has to be a compromise though if they're gonna have big names it better be ones that can act I still believe in quality over quantity

I sort of disagree. Don't get me wrong, I do believe in quality, but I don't think a few big name actors who maybe aren't the best will drag the quality down that much. I mean, I'd rather have five imperfect movies that I still love than one or two flawless gems that end the franchise. There's got to be some give between quality and quantity. Too little quality and quantity doesn't matter, but a certain small drop in quality that ensures a continuing amount of quantity? That's okay to me as long as the quality is still very enjoyable. I don't know what the math is, but it works out that I'm okay with a Dwayne Johnson led Godzilla movie (and ScarJo too, but I personally consider her a good actress who can act).
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Postby Pkmatrix » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:16 am

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
No thanks

Honestly, you know who my dream casting for this would've been? If we could've gotten just one A-lister? Matthew McConaughey as Mark Russell. HE WAS AVAILABLE. They cast him for that pretty awful movie Serenity within a couple of weeks of KOTM casting Kyle Chandler. I think McConaughey is a quality actor, AND he's got the sort of star power I think could've given KOTM a solid boost. It's not hard to see him in this role at all. And that would've been a much easier sell to audiences asking, "Cool, who's in it?"

Godzilla2000Zero
Futurian

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:19 am

Pkmatrix wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:

Honestly, you know who my dream casting for this would've been? If we could've gotten just one A-lister? Matthew McConaughey as Mark Russell. HE WAS AVAILABLE. They cast him for that pretty awful movie Serenity within a couple of weeks of KOTM casting Kyle Chandler. I think McConaughey is a quality actor, AND he's got the sort of star power I think could've given KOTM a solid boost. It's not hard to see him in this role at all. And that would've been a much easier sell to audiences asking, "Cool, who's in it?"

Matt McConaughey is really underrated he would've been one of my favorites as well admittedly

Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier

Postby Pkmatrix » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:22 am

Also, to be fair to Skaarsgard, had The Legend of Tarzan done better he WOULD be a bigger name star than he is. He's a perfectly fine as a leading man, and IMO a somewhat bigger name than Chandler, I just wish the rumor they'd gotten Frances McDormand had proven true.

Of course, it's possible Millie Bobby Brown becomes a bigger star post-Stranger Things 3 and - assuming she has a bigger part in GvK - they play her up more in GvK's advertising.

Godzilla2000Zero
Futurian

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:30 am

Pkmatrix wrote:Also, to be fair to Skaarsgard, had The Legend of Tarzan done better he WOULD be a bigger name star than he is. He's a perfectly fine as a leading man, and IMO a somewhat bigger name than Chandler, I just wish the rumor they'd gotten Frances McDormand had proven true.

Of course, it's possible Millie Bobby Brown becomes a bigger star post-Stranger Things 3 and - assuming she has a bigger part in GvK - they play her up more in GvK's advertising.

I think she turned it down shame though

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Current)”