MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Cookson
Futurian

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Post by Cookson »

UltramanGoji wrote:Anybody who is legitimately gullible enough to think Disney is going to, or even capable of, buying Ultraman is just making themselves look like a fool.
Don’t think anyone actually thinks they’ll buy out Ultraman. I’ll predict a Disney Ultraman film within 10 years.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

I hate the idea of Disney getting their hands on another IP. Still, if Disney can’t buy Ultraman outright, I’m not certain they’d even bother with it. Disney loves their merchandise money.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Garzon wrote:I hate the idea of Disney getting their hands on another IP. Still, if Disney can’t buy Ultraman outright, I’m not certain they’d even bother with it. Disney loves their merchandise money.
Im sure a deal that makes both parties happy is reachable. No way they’ll sell Ultraman outright.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

UltramanGoji wrote:Anybody who is legitimately gullible enough to think Disney is going to, or even capable of, buying Ultraman is just making themselves look like a fool.
Famous last words
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Where IS all this stuff of Ultraman being wanted by Disney and Disney making a film about him coming from?
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

ManuJM1997 wrote:Where IS all this stuff of Ultraman being wanted by Disney and Disney making a film about him coming from?
Probably Marvel and Tsuburaya doing a series of Ultraman comics next yeat
Aside from that nothing really except for the ages-old Will Smith thing
Last edited by G2000 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

G2000 wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:Where IS all this stuff of Ultraman being wanted by Disney and Disney making a film about him coming from?
Probably Marvel and Tsuburaya doing a series of Ultraman comics next yeat
Aside from that nothing really except for the ages-old Will Smith thing
That's a beautiful cover.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

Cookson wrote:
Garzon wrote:I hate the idea of Disney getting their hands on another IP. Still, if Disney can’t buy Ultraman outright, I’m not certain they’d even bother with it. Disney loves their merchandise money.
Im sure a deal that makes both parties happy is reachable. No way they’ll sell Ultraman outright.
As I said, Disney loves making as much money as possible off merchandise. That’s a major reason they bought Star Wars from George Lucas. If they can’t buy Ultraman outright, that would naturally mean that they wouldn’t make much money off merchandise. They’d essentially just be renting out the property. I’m not certain that the control freaks at Disney would have any interest in making an Ultraman film under those conditions, especially when it’s not a proven IP in Hollywood.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Disney will never get Ultraman and will never get Godzilla. they may temporarily get loaned out, but not bought.

People really don't understand how these Japanese companies operate.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

On the note of other companies getting Godzilla, i think Toho would probably go for Universal since they just seem like the next obvious choice to get him after Legendary. While they're not the most competent studio at times, they have still made pretty good films in recent years and could at the very least make a good film with the right people in charge.

Still it ain't happening till GVK does what it does so we're stuck waiting till November.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Disney will never get Ultraman and will never get Godzilla. they may temporarily get loaned out, but not bought.

People really don't understand how these Japanese companies operate.
To be fair I don’t think anyone said Disney would straight up own the franchises... definitely possible Ultraman could be “rented out” though, like how Godzilla is to Legendary. The comics coming prove there’s interest. Will it go beyond comics? I think it will but we’ll see.
Last edited by Cookson on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

While Disney may not buy Ultraman outright, but that doesn’t mean they could buy the rights to do a movie one day.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

tyrantgoji wrote:On the note of other companies getting Godzilla, i think Toho would probably go for Universal since they just seem like the next obvious choice to get him after Legendary. While they're not the most competent studio at times, they have still made pretty good films in recent years and could at the very least make a good film with the right people in charge.

Still it ain't happening till GVK does what it does so we're stuck waiting till November.
I do agree that Universal could be the next major studio that Toho would make a deal with. Both studios obviously have history since 1962, even in the 1990s when they wanted to remake the film.

Universal also strikes me as more of a studio concerned with getting films that appeal to general audiences rather than creative freedom for filmmakers, which could be a negative.
Yooo 8-)

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Wait aren't there still tensions between Universal and Toho? If not anymore then what changed?
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

kaijuguy19 wrote:Wait aren't there still tensions between Universal and Toho? If not anymore then what changed?
No? Far as it seems everything's fine.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

kaijuguy19 wrote:Wait aren't there still tensions between Universal and Toho? If not anymore then what changed?
What “tensions” are you talking about?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote:
What “tensions” are you talking about?
Probably how they beat them out of doing the two Heisei Kong films.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I doubt Toho's still mad about that. If anything i think they probably were glad for it because they didn't have to enter that massive Kong legal battle in the 90's. :lol:
Last edited by Gigantis on Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

tyrantgoji wrote:I doubt Toho's still mad about that. If anything i think they probably were glad for it because they didn't have to enter that massive Kong legal battle in the 90's. :lol:
I don't doubt their no longer mad either, it's just the only thing I could see kaijuguy19 mentioning tension over.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

MV thread has been awfully quite lately...

If the series continues, and if they get Anguirus involved, i want a fight scene between him and Rodan (oddly enough, this hasn't happened before and it feels rather overdue.)