MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I can understand disposing of the fairies, but Mothra could work with the other two elements that were mentioned. And I'm with GodzillaFan1990. Mothra is far from "obscure." Ask any person in their 50's who Mothra is, and they'll probably give an accurate description of the character.

She has a better shot than most monsters in Toho's pantheon of having a successful solo film.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I think the possibility of Rodan or Mothra solo films depend on the success of KotM. If the movie does really well and those two are a hit with the GA, then I could see them branching off.

Just a few years ago you would have been laughed at for saying that a Doctor Strange film could be financially successful. That movie went on to make over 650 million dollars. Yes, the universe has to build before you delve into the more obscure characters but eventually you can.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

A Mothra film would most likely happen before a Rodan film, just because Mothra is more popular. I think you can do more with a Rodan film. If they can make those for 130-150m, they should definitely consider it. Throw some new monsters in the films.. and we'll be good to go.

G14 and Kong have both done pretty damn well at the box office(combined for over 1 billion), so the gates should be open to go beyond GvsKong.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

GalacticPetey wrote:Just a few years ago you would have been laughed at for saying that a Doctor Strange film could be financially successful. That movie went on to make over 650 million dollars. Yes, the universe has to build before you delve into the more obscure characters but eventually you can.
Don't forget Guardians of the Galaxy. That wasn't as popular as it once was but then it had a big boom upon its 2014 hit. ;)

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

I know it has been brought up before but War of the Garganutuas would be a smart idea to remake. It was popular when it released back in the day. It would also open the door for Godzilla vs. Gargantua to finally be made.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Cookson wrote:A Mothra film would most likely happen before a Rodan film, just because Mothra is more popular. I think you can do more with a Rodan film. If they can make those for 130-150m, they should definitely consider it. Throw some new monsters in the films.. and we'll be good to go.

G14 and Kong have both done pretty damn well at the box office(combined for over 1 billion), so the gates should be open to go beyond GvsKong.
Remember that you're talking about Godzilla and King Kong, not Mothra and Rodan

I suggest that Legendary waits until the reception of KOM comes together before lining-up more movies, especially these new standalones that you guys want. Right now, I just want a good Godzilla 2 and Godzilla vs Kong
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:This isn't McMarvel, it's an obscure Japanese film tradition.

Solo Mothra, especially if it had anything to do with fairies/psychics/religion, would fail so hard in this country that there wouldn't be another American Godzilla movie for decades. Stop deluding yourself.
Obscure? Since when? Next to Godzilla, Mothra is probably the most recognizable Toho monster and Godzilla is a popular franchise worldwide, people even outside the fandom not from Japan knows who Godzilla is. Did I forget to mention something "obscure" like Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't as popular as it was until the 2014 hit? I'm just saying. You're literally saying because its from Japan that it's obscure when that's not the case. There's so many Anime that are highly popular throughout the world such as Attack on Titan or Dragon Ball Z.

I don't mean to be rude but you're kind of acting like Underworld and KingZilla... :|
Given the budget it would require, the novelty of the source material and the relatively recent existence of the Monsterverse, doing a Mothra film any time soon would be far too risky - and a failure would probably mean the end to the franchise. Notice I'm not saying I like any of this, but these are the way things would likely go given what we know about the film industry.

Added in 1 minute 38 seconds:
Showa Gyaos wrote:I can understand disposing of the fairies, but Mothra could work with the other two elements that were mentioned.
It's not a question if whether it could, it's a question of whether it would. Given the sci-fi, megafauna, kaiju-as-large-animals approach that Legendary has taken to the Monsterverse, there's no reason whatsoever to believe they'll include psychics, fairies and magic.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I'm quite surprised they're actually considering spinoffs
A spinoff can be a tricky thing, what characters exactly could pull off a Godzilla-less spinoff movie?
If we're going by monsters already established in the verse, I'd say Mothra would be the most likely,
assuming he lives at the end of G2, a Ghidorah spinoff would be A fucking mazing.

Now, if LP brings in new characters, perhaps Anguirus, or a giant mech character (could be original)
Maybe Banno could pull some strings and get a Hedorah movie made, leading up to a big fight with Godzilla or Mothra maybe
The speculation is endless, but realistically, there's only a couple of other toho kaiju worth LPs money
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Lain Of The Wired wrote:assuming he lives at the end of G2, a Ghidorah spinoff would be A skreeonking mazing.
Could always be a prequel exploring King Ghidorah's origin.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

It'd be cool to see a Mothra solo movie and, if done right, very topical. I imagine that Godzilla 2 will see adult Mothra die, leaving room for an egg to hatch and fight Ghidorah by the climax. By the solo Mothra movie, she wreaks havoc and then cocoons into an adult. A Mothra remake.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I can honestly see King Ghidorah getting his own film, like maybe we see him in ancient times where prehistoric man or ancient Greeks witness him battle an original monster and he inspires the myth of dragons and hydras like how Godzilla has inspired the myths about sea monsters. That and he destroys several ancient civilizations.

Speaking of original monsters, I wonder how much of the Monsterverse is gonna be made up of new monsters? Other than the Godzilla side of the crossover, there's not much going for King Kong when it comes to classic ones other than, well, King Kong. He's kind of more of a guest star.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

LockBite wrote:It'd be cool to see a Mothra solo movie and, if done right, very topical. I imagine that Godzilla 2 will see adult Mothra die, leaving room for an egg to hatch and fight Ghidorah by the climax. By the solo Mothra movie, she wreaks havoc and then cocoons into an adult. A Mothra remake.
As unlikely as it is I feel Desghidorah would be the perfect villain for a solo Mothra film. Like how Homo Sapiens and Neanderthal's branched off from the same ancestor, the same could go for King Ghidorah and Desghidorah that they both come from two different but related species. If not Desghidorah then Battra is probably the next best choice.

Dammit Toho why must you limit rights to Godzilla only characters...

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I think that the fairies could be worked into this canon. In the 60s, they actually didn't feel super weird because they still kept that tribal, percussive style. It was the pop music vibe of later incarnations that put them over the edge of ridiculousness.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

LockBite wrote:I think that the fairies could be worked into this canon. In the 60s, they actually didn't feel super weird because they still kept that tribal, percussive style. It was the pop music vibe of later incarnations that put them over the edge of ridiculousness.
Well contrary to popular belief the MonsterVerse isn't being realistic in the sense of monsters but of how people would react to them in real life. I see this universe going the same way as the original. Started out grounded in reality before moving to mystical and alien stuff.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
LockBite wrote:I think that the fairies could be worked into this canon. In the 60s, they actually didn't feel super weird because they still kept that tribal, percussive style. It was the pop music vibe of later incarnations that put them over the edge of ridiculousness.
Well contrary to popular belief the MonsterVerse isn't being realistic in the sense of monsters but of how people would react to them in real life. I see this universe going the same way as the original. Started out grounded in reality before moving to mystical and alien stuff.
What if the "fairies" are just mental projections Mothra puts in people's minds so she can talk to them?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Living Corpse wrote:What if the "fairies" are just mental projections Mothra puts in people's minds so she can talk to them?
Hmmm, gotta admit that'd be another interesting turn.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Living Corpse wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
What if the "fairies" are just mental projections Mothra puts in people's minds so she can talk to them?
That's actually not a bad idea! I have contemplated something along the lines of that in the past myself.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I'm calling it now, if KOTM does 700-800m and Godzilla vs Kong makes 800m-1B then Gamera will be announced for 2025.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

I just had an idea for a King Ghidorah solo film. The film could be set before the battle that the cave-paintings depict, as it would be on Mars, starring the Martians from War of the Worlds. It could explain King Ghidorah as being how Mars became the barren wasteland it is today, as he destroys all life on Mars and all traces of the Martians. Plus it could have cool scenes of the tripods attempting to fight King Ghidorah and failing miserably.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I really do wonder how far this Universe can go until audiences grow tired of giant monsters.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.