MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dv-218
Futurian

Re: MonsterVerse: Beyond 2020

Post by Dv-218 »

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:After doing a quick bit of number crunching, the Monsterverse is actually on par with Phase One of the MCU thus far, and if KotM tops out at 385 million it'll actually be ahead. This is pitting Godzilla, Skull Island, and King of the Monsters against Iron Man, The Increadible Hulk, and Iron Man 2.

I do agree that Godzilla vs Kong needs to do better than KotM, however chances are very good it will because of Kong.

But in my time lurking around here watching the dramatics I have to say some of you are blowing it out of proportion saying that KotM under performing has killed the Monsterverse. $1.4 billion over three films was enough to keep Marvel going, and it's enough to continue the Monsterverse.
I really hope that this would be the case. Honestly such optimism is pretty respectable, keep it up :)

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:After doing a quick bit of number crunching, the Monsterverse is actually on par with Phase One of the MCU thus far, and if KotM tops out at 385 million it'll actually be ahead. This is pitting Godzilla, Skull Island, and King of the Monsters against Iron Man, The Increadible Hulk, and Iron Man 2.

I do agree that Godzilla vs Kong needs to do better than KotM, however chances are very good it will because of Kong.

But in my time lurking around here watching the dramatics I have to say some of you are blowing it out of proportion saying that KotM under performing has killed the Monsterverse. $1.4 billion over three films was enough to keep Marvel going, and it's enough to continue the Monsterverse.
The budgets are different though, so we can’t compare them exactly unless through your number crunching you got there, which of you did, I would need to see your calculations and way of thinking.

Added in 36 seconds:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
HillyHulk wrote:I'm pretty much expecting Mechagodzilla.
Spoiler:
After name-dropping the Oxygen Destroyer (I think that's the term)
, the military should play a bigger role in future films as to give it a bit more substance, like a premonition of things to come. Possibly mixing the Millennium Mechagodzilla and Heisei Mechagodzilla to make it well-rounded as a fighter would be best for this universe.
The thing is, there's no background for it. One minute, they're just using conventional weaponry and nuclear warheads. 5 years later, they unexpectedly have fictional chemical weapons of mass destruction, maser cannons, and Mechagodzilla? 5 years isn't enough to make such a massive leap. You can't just change something like that so quick and not come up with an explanation. So yes, I agree that the military should play a bigger role in future films to explain and expand upon the MonsterVerse.
The power of lazy writing!
Long Live The King

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
HillyHulk wrote:I'm pretty much expecting Mechagodzilla.
Spoiler:
After name-dropping the Oxygen Destroyer (I think that's the term)
, the military should play a bigger role in future films as to give it a bit more substance, like a premonition of things to come. Possibly mixing the Millennium Mechagodzilla and Heisei Mechagodzilla to make it well-rounded as a fighter would be best for this universe.
The thing is, there's no background for it. One minute, they're just using conventional weaponry and nuclear warheads. 5 years later, they unexpectedly have fictional chemical weapons of mass destruction, maser cannons, and Mechagodzilla? 5 years isn't enough to make such a massive leap. You can't just change something like that so quick and not come up with an explanation. So yes, I agree that the military should play a bigger role in future films to explain and expand upon the MonsterVerse.
I didn't mean I expected Mechagodzilla right now, I meant somewhere down the line.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Perhaps way back in the 80s and 90s Monarch had the idea for these weapons and the science, but not the funding.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Sooo...despite what Pacific Rim Uprising did and even PR1 not doing as well as it could have, Pacific Rim is supposedly getting an Anime on Netflix.

Could something similar be done with the Monsterverse to keep it going? They don't even need the Godzilla license, they can use Kong and all the wonderful new original titans like Behemoth, Scylla, Methuselah and the likes.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

GuardianGhido wrote:Sooo...despite what Pacific Rim Uprising did and even PR1 not doing as well as it could have, Pacific Rim is supposedly getting an Anime on Netflix.

Could something similar be done with the Monsterverse to keep it going? They don't even need the Godzilla license, they can use Kong and all the wonderful new original titans like Behemoth, Scylla, Methuselah and the likes.
I was just about to post something like this. Ultraman has a new anime show on Netflix. Pacific Rim is coming back again with a anime show on Netflix. With that recent Godzilla anime trilogy, I wouldn’t be surprised if they went that route with the Monsterverse after 2020 as well. Unfortunately they’ll probably use Polygon, as that who is doing Pacific Rim. Not sure who’s doing the Ultraman show but that’s the same style.

Guess I’m keeping Netflix. The whole CGI anime thing though... geez I know it’s really cheap but I wish they’d go the traditional 2d route.
Last edited by Cookson on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Cookson wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:Sooo...despite what Pacific Rim Uprising did and even PR1 not doing as well as it could have, Pacific Rim is supposedly getting an Anime on Netflix.

I was just about to post something like this. Ultraman has a new anime show on Netflix. Pacific Rim is coming back again with a anime show on Netflix. With that recent Godzilla anime trilogy, I wouldn’t be surprised if they went that route with the Monsterverse after 2020 as well. Unfortunately they’ll probably use Polygon, as that who is doing Pacific Rim. Not sure who’s doing the Ultraman show but that’s the same style.

Guess I’m keeping Netflix. The whole CGI anime thing though... geez I know it’s really cheap but I wish they’d go the traditional 2d route.
It would be nice to have something similar to the Zilla Jr series with a traditional anime touch (PLEASE make any Titans that appear be in quality animated 2D), A Monarch animated series could be the thing the Monsterverse needs to continue it's story without taking any huge risks. That way, all the potential won't completely go to waste.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Cookson wrote:

I'm a broken record at this point, but I would gladly take one animated Godzilla film that has the same generic force of nature plot we've been getting for decades in the Heisei and Millennium series so long as the art style was akin to this.

A little over animated? Sure but I'll take that over robotic animation. Colors might hurt your eyes though, best not do back to back viewings in one day.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Those clips look like ass lol

You know, there's a very possibility that the PR universe will last longer than the Monsterverse.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Living Corpse wrote:
Cookson wrote:

I'm a broken record at this point, but I would gladly take one animated Godzilla film that has the same generic force of nature plot we've been getting for decades in the Heisei and Millennium series so long as the art style was akin to this.

A little over animated? Sure but I'll take that over robotic animation. Colors might hurt your eyes though, best not do back to back viewings in one day.
Those first 2 clips are epic.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I don't think you can really equate that sort of style to Godzilla. He'd be better off with his own thing instead of blending in with the shonen crowd.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I could see those first 2 shots working for a Ghidorah destruction scene, where he's just snapping up entire groups of people.

I know plenty of people aren't big fans of "edge" but I'd love a more personal anime, with kaiju tearing through people and towns Attack on Titan style.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Those clips look like ass lol
Are you even trying anymore? It seems like you're phoning it in.

Added in 15 minutes 23 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:I could see those first 2 shots working for a Ghidorah destruction scene, where he's just snapping up entire groups of people.

I know plenty of people aren't big fans of "edge" but I'd love a more personal anime, with kaiju tearing through people and towns Attack on Titan style.
I think a lot of the monsters energy weapons would work wonderfully in that animation, the colors really pop. I also feel the studio did a decent job balancing the 2D and 3D animations.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Image
What a wholesome and fantastic image.
Spoiler:
Despite my feelings of KOTM, it is sad that it might end/most likely will end.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Oooor people can like both movies without having to constantly attack the other? Just an idea.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dynomy-DX wrote:Oooor people can like both movies without having to constantly attack the other? Just an idea.
true,but I don't think opinions are really gonna change if the Monsterverse will continue. only box office.
Last edited by Gigantis on Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Dynomy-DX wrote:Oooor people can like both movies without having to constantly attack the other? Just an idea.
The background threat in shin’s third act is criticizing the exact mentality mentality that KOTM glorifies. In fact, more is thrown at Shin, before Ghidorah, and we are shown more of Shin’s capabilities and how horrible it could get, and the idea is still pretty much shot down uninamously by the main case. I just realized that Shin and KOTM are completely antithetical to one another.

One cannot in good faith love both films.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
The background threat in shin’s third act is criticizing the exact mentality mentality that KOTM glorifies.

Except... There are people do love both films regardless? You can have two different movies that people will like for different reasons.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Dynomy-DX wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
The background threat in shin’s third act is criticizing the exact mentality mentality that KOTM glorifies.

Except... There are people do love both films regardless? You can have two different movies that people will like for different reasons.
That’s exactly why I said in good faith.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Dynomy-DX wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: The background threat in shin’s third act is criticizing the exact mentality mentality that KOTM glorifies.

That’s exactly why I said in good faith.
Once again though. There are people who, in full good faith, like both movies. The two are apples and oranges and people can like them for separate reasons beyond “they need to share the same metaphor”