Godzilla : Awakening - Do you consider it canon or not?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505

Do you consider Awakening Canon or not

Yes
30%
No
38%
Part of it
22%
It is part of canon, but I would prefer if it was not
5%
No, but I like it anyway
5%

Total votes: 96

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Re: Godzilla : Awakening - Do you consider it canon or not?

Postby Godzillian » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:22 pm

I consider it a side Story that'll probably end up being retconned anyway

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby KaijuX » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:19 pm

I consider the sort of "core" story to be canon--but not all the details are going to line up. If I had to go into specifics... <_< I expect a lot of elements to be retconned as the MonsterVerse expands.
TK's Resident Wumbo
UltimateDitto wrote:^ Ya gotta have muscles on your eyeballs!

Birdman wrote:It's actually happening, isn't it?

GVJ is finally getting a promotion.

"If you can't take the edge, that's okay." -KaijuX

bugmolly
Yin-Yang Master

Postby bugmolly » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Spoiler:
there is a scene in the begining where John goodmans character is talking about a navy ship that got attacked by a monster but was covered up (he also may have said he was on the ship and was the only survivor but i cant remeber it 100%) whitch reminded me of the ship that was attacked by the shinomura so i am considering it cannon

Redem
Samurai

Postby Redem » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:58 pm

So, while I have to admit I was more in "awakening not canon" camp after KSI, I am much more on the side that it is

Breakdown
Kwaidan

Postby Breakdown » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:08 pm

I think some parts are canon, namely Shinomura.
ImageBaby free at last! Thank Megatron I'm free at last!

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:23 pm

Monarch was confirmed activate before 19545 now, looks like Borenstien made sure all three of his stories lined up.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

NSZ
E.S.P.Spy

Postby NSZ » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Slight K:SI spoilers maybe? I'unno, tagging just to be safe.

Spoiler:
If anything, Kong: Skull Island blasted this tie-in completely out of continuity, what with MONARCH being on life support at the start of the film due to a lack of funding from the govt., itself a result of MONARCH being unable to turn up any actual evidence of monsters other than Godzilla, which has resulted in them being viewed as crazy tinfoil hat wearing crackpots, and a complete waste of resources. Given that MONARCH literally had a MONSTER MUSEUM in Awakening, this would be highly unlikely if it was still in continuity.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

Redem
Samurai

Postby Redem » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:06 pm

NSZ wrote:Slight K:SI spoilers maybe? I'unno, tagging just to be safe.

Spoiler:
If anything, Kong: Skull Island blasted this tie-in completely out of continuity, what with MONARCH being on life support at the start of the film due to a lack of funding from the govt., itself a result of MONARCH being unable to turn up any actual evidence of monsters other than Godzilla, which has resulted in them being viewed as crazy tinfoil hat wearing crackpots, and a complete waste of resources. Given that MONARCH literally had a MONSTER MUSEUM in Awakening, this would be highly unlikely if it was still in continuity.

Heh I think I can give some explanation to that

Spoiler:
All the stuff in the museum is dead and human size, presumably those are just remains that Monarch been acquiring, if nothing more interesting came about for almost 20 years it make sense why their budget would get cut

bugmolly wrote:
Spoiler:
there is a scene in the begining where John goodmans character is talking about a navy ship that got attacked by a monster but was covered up (he also may have said he was on the ship and was the only survivor but i cant remeber it 100%) whitch reminded me of the ship that was attacked by the shinomura so i am considering it cannon

Spoiler:
Would be neat, but the guy name is Shaw, not Bill, it might be what was intended though

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:28 am

^^^If you have to go out of your way to make excuses for something to be in continuity then it's not cannon.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:12 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:^^^If you have to go out of your way to make excuses for something to be in continuity then it's not cannon.

Half the franchises in the world have that problem, Star Wars even ran into that problem.

Shadow Area 1-0

NSZ
E.S.P.Spy

Postby NSZ » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:32 pm

miguelnuva wrote:Star Wars even ran into that problem.

Considering what ended up happening with the old EU, I'm not entirely sure that using it as an example on how Awakening could still be canon is the best idea...
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Giratina93 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:37 pm

I'd have to say no to Awakening being canon, not just because of what NSZ brought up, but for the simple reason that Awakening is based on an early draft of G14. As a result, we have cases of inconsistencies between the two, such as Serizawa's age and the Blu-Ray specials for G14 outright contradicting G14 with the events leading up to the bomb "testings." It's about as canon as most novelizations for movies in that way, which is to say, not at all.
You dare try to challenge me? Then we shall see how you fare against a true Archangel!

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:32 pm

NSZ wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Star Wars even ran into that problem.

Considering what ended up happening with the old EU, I'm not entirely sure that using it as an example on how Awakening could still be canon is the best idea...

Star Wars now still has that problem and has to make retcons to fix itself.

Shadow Area 1-0

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:59 pm

bugmolly wrote:
Spoiler:

Haven't read the book, but if the ship in question is the USS Larson or something similar, then most likely yes.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

godzilla1541
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby godzilla1541 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:20 pm

Reviving this thread because I feel it’s relivant. No I would not consider the comic cannon. There are way to many inconsistency’s with it and all the stuff that has come after G 14 to really consider it part of the main monsterverse.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Mon May 07, 2018 5:46 am

Inconsistencies that only exist in the readers' minds.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Mon May 07, 2018 6:59 am

Ivo-goji wrote:Inconsistencies that only exist in the readers' minds.

No, inconsistencies that create plot holes in when compared to the film.

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Mon May 07, 2018 7:42 am

Ivo-goji wrote:Inconsistencies that only exist in the readers' minds.

Evidently, you haven’t read the comic in question.

You can do as many mental gymnastics as you want to make your head canon correct, but either way, there’s going to be major contradictions over many things, and if that’s the case, it should go without saying that Awakening is NOT canon.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Mon May 07, 2018 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Mon May 07, 2018 9:13 am

I don't need mental gymnastics to overcome inconsistencies that no one addresses.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 am

Ivo-goji wrote:I don't need mental gymnastics to overcome inconsistencies that no one addresses.

How are there not inconsistencies? I’d love to hear you defending all these co called “inconsistencies” and explain to everyone here how they DO make sense in the timeline.

Don’t see this happening though, at least not in a way that makes sense...
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”