Godzilla : Awakening - Do you consider it canon or not?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Do you consider Awakening Canon or not

Yes
32%
No
37%
Part of it
21%
It is part of canon, but I would prefer if it was not
5%
No, but I like it anyway
5%

Total votes: 98

Redem
Monsterland Worker

Godzilla : Awakening - Do you consider it canon or not?

Post by Redem »

So technically Godzilla awakening is part of the official continuity of the monterverse, but personally I think what we see in Godzilla 2014 contradict what's in book enough that it should not be considered part of it(mainly the lack of mention of Shinomura and the fact the dialogue mention that Godzilla was awaken in 1954 rather immediatly following the nuking of Hiroshima) that it should be ignore for the most part (I like that godzilla nuked by Douglas MacArthur, some of the bit Serizawa father and son are good) and in the past I had several arguments as to wheterer or not the comic should be ignore

I am asking here on a purely personal level, but do you think Godzilla Awakening is part of the continuity or not?

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla : Awakening - Do you consider it canon or not?

Post by Ivo-goji »

People forget that in the comic, Serizawa Sr fails to convince Monarch that Godzilla exists until after he appears on Moansta in 1954. He also failed to convince anyone that Godzilla was hunting Shinomura; the army attributed Godzilla's activity to being awakened by the Nautilus traversing the Challenger Deep. The fact that Godzilla has been running around since Hiroshima is never confirmed despite Serizawa Sr's efforts, so that wouldn't have come up in dialogue in the movie. Since the relationship between Godzilla and Shinomura was also unproven, that would not have been mentioned either.

What Serizawa Jr told Ford was Monarch's official story; nobody but his dad knew the details specific to Awakening, ergo Awakening doesn't actually contradict any of G14's exposition.

Other than the fact Serizawa is younger than he's supposed to be, there aren't any inconsistencies, except those brought about by inattentive readers.

I doubt anything from Awakening will come up again in later Monsterverse films, but I also doubt anything will contradict it either. It would be nice if Shinomura or Dr. Zamalek showed up at some point though.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Eh, no for. Its cool though
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I say yes since WoG from Legendary says its canon.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

For me, it's debatable. Some things make sense, and others don't.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah and Tales from Year Zero is supposedly canon to Pacific Rim despite being contradicted numerous times in the film itself. Most that side stuff should be ignored if you ask me.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Redem
Monsterland Worker

Post by Redem »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Yeah and Tales from Year Zero is supposedly canon to Pacific Rim despite being contradicted numerous times in the film itself. Most that side stuff should be ignored if you ask me.
Hum I wasn't aware Tales from Year zero contradicted Pacific Rim that much (okay Drifting is pretty different in the comic than in the movie), can you elaborate on that?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Well the major one is the fact in the comic the whole Trespasser attack appears to take place over the course of only a few hours. In the movie its explicitly stated by Raleigh it took almost a full week long continuous military assault to bring Trespasser down.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KingZillla
Interpol Agent

Post by KingZillla »

Yes, it's confirmed to be canon
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent... Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." -The King Returns, 2016.

Let them fight - 2019

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Gojira18 wrote:For me, it's debatable. Some things make sense, and others don't.
This. I feel like it's like a rough draft that can revised and edited for storyline purposes as needed.

Redem
Monsterland Worker

Post by Redem »

vibramrunner wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:For me, it's debatable. Some things make sense, and others don't.
This. I feel like it's like a rough draft that can revised and edited for storyline purposes as needed.
What part should be considered considered viable to be consistent with the movie?

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

^I mean that's open to interpretation, but when I think "rough draft," I'm going with, "Generally speaking, this is what happened." Maybe you rearrange some dates and names as needed. Outside of Godzilla being nuked though, I'm not really sure if it'll ever be referenced again -- K:SI is probably going to be where most of the backstory for future films comes from, I'm guessing.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I say yes since WoG from Legendary says its canon.
WoG is nonsense to me. Actually the whole concept is because:

1. Only a minute amount of people absorbed it and a minute portion of that know of this WoG. The vast majority have no idea and having important details outside the films themselves is dumb.

2. Breaks the "Show, don't tell" rule. If it's not in the movie it is irrelevant. I see this with plenty of people involved in films, cancelled TV shows or whatever. Example is Jorge Gutierrez and his two works or Bryke in Korra. How can either be canon to each other when they're both owned by separate companies, and every detail containing the two is rather irrelevant and dumb in my opinion; if these details were in the original show somewhere or it was planned, I wouldn't care so much. However, creators yamming up about what would happen in their shows/movies, deeper details or whatever else, but not in the finished product, only shows they're just offering excuses.

3. If the material cannot hold up on its own without WoG or similar nonsense, that's a sign of their failure to make a movie with proper storytelling. Either have the details in the story, or don't have them exist at all until the sequel. Similar nonsense is described as when the adaptations are so rushed and poor that you need knowledge of the source material in order for you understand it. If I never read the Hunger Games, I'd hate the movie, as I eventually gave up on the films.

While fun, I don't describe this as canon. Just extra material.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

No because Serizawa isn't a 70 year old man in the movie.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Well the major one is the fact in the comic the whole Trespasser attack appears to take place over the course of only a few hours. In the movie its explicitly stated by Raleigh it took almost a full week long continuous military assault to bring Trespasser down.
It was said way back the attack in TFYZ appeared faster in book form for the people we were following.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Unless there's something brought up later in the monster verse series that coincides with it then nope. The book was horrible promotional material lazily put together. People are defending some of the inconsistencies, but I'd like to point out there's numerous things that make no goddamn sense within itself, like a panel that says 200 million years or something but shows people.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

The tie in comic to Kong: Skull Island might be just as bad.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Well the major one is the fact in the comic the whole Trespasser attack appears to take place over the course of only a few hours. In the movie its explicitly stated by Raleigh it took almost a full week long continuous military assault to bring Trespasser down.
Yeah. The military's side of K-Day took a week. The survivors's side was a few hours, unless some of them were dumb enough to follow the kaiju.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Redem
Monsterland Worker

Post by Redem »

Living Corpse wrote:The tie in comic to Kong: Skull Island might be just as bad.
*Look into it* April? they better not use an old draft this time

I don't really mind a prequel comic that isn't great plotwise, I just ask that they organically integrate in the movie and have a few neats ideas that be too cumbersome to explain in the movie

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Redem wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:The tie in comic to Kong: Skull Island might be just as bad.
I don't really mind a prequel comic that isn't great plotwise, I just ask that they organically integrate in the movie and have a few neats ideas that be too cumbersome to explain in the movie
I don't think they are bad in of themselves but the plot holes are annoying.