Possibilities post-G14 (outside Legendary Franchise)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: More Jappaneese movies after u.s. reboot?

Post by Tohosaurus »

Fought back? I don't know about that. Anyway, yes in the future at some point I'm sure we'll see more Toho Godzilla movies. It may not be for a while though.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

I expect to see Toho produced Godzilla films in the future, but the distant future. Not for a while.

If LP's film is a success, it will get sequels, like nearly every Hollywood film these days. Why would Toho make more movies if LP's is a success?
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

Eunectes
Gotengo Officer

Post by Eunectes »

What I predict if the movie flops and it's bad:
Toho will make their own to try to restore it's validity.

What I predict if the movie flops but is getting some amazing reviews:
LP will not proceed with sequels, and Toho would start making more themselves.

What I predict if the movie gets a shit ton of money but bad reviews:
No Toho movies, more sequels.

What I predict if the movie is amazing, good reviews, good revenue:
LP will make more, Toho won't.

knockinrockin
G-Grasper

Post by knockinrockin »

I agree with all of you guys.
DeadpoolsbetterThanU wrote:
Orgasmatron wrote:we finally tried anal and she said she would have it again
Now you live up to that user name of yours!

Shadow wrote:
Chris55 wrote:5'1
640lbs

:lol: Wow, you should get outside sometime, that's if you get fit through the door.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think if LP makes Godzilla popular again then Toho won't make more movies until LP is done with the series. I would not expect Toho's Godzilla to return for another 10 or maybe 15 years from.
It's possible that Toho could make more Toho movies (after LP contract expires or something) in a long, long time.
10 or 15 years seem more plausible.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

^I agree. I see Toho making new Godzilla films in the future when CGI is a lot cheaper, and the LP films have ran their course.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

If Lp Godzilla flops we wont see Godzilla for i would take a wild guess at another decade....

If LP Godzilla is a success we might get a trilogy, then Toho will retire Godzilla for another 10 years then bring him back

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Heres another option: What if it fails in the states and US world wide, but makes Toho a ton of cash in Japanese markets? If that were to happen, then I could see Toho making their own again, mabey even doing it anime style to save money.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

ゴジラさん
Samurai

Post by ゴジラさん »

If might very well be big in China. Its a big budget movie AND in 3D. They're a huge market right now for Hollywood.
Five Favorite Godzilla Films (not counting Gojira):
1. Mothra vs. Godzilla
2. GMK
3. Godzilla vs. Biollante
4. King Kong vs. Godzilla
5. Destroy All Monsters

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

ゴジラさん wrote:If might very well be big in China. Its a big budget movie AND in 3D. They're a huge market right now for Hollywood.
It depends on how the current sociopolitical tensions between China and Japan play out. Right now there are riots in China (have been for weeks now) and people are lighting Japanese cars on fire, etc. Some Japanese companies are scaling back production and projections. . It's pretty serious right now and although LPG is a Hollywood production, it is based on a decidedly Japanese franchise.
고질라

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Well GINO made $379,014,294, almost triple of its estimated budget which is a good for a Godzilla movie. I don't think I'm that worry how it will do at the box office since WB is good when it comes to marketing. Be lucky that Lionsgate does not own this movie since they are terrible when it comes to marketing. They only market very few big films.
The box office performance of G98 has two sides to its coin. It made money, no question. But ultimately Tri-Star wanted more like Independence Day money, which this didn't even make half that. So to call it a failure at the box office depends on what you mean.
고질라

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Tohosaurus nailed it... Tri-Star expected Godzilla to break TLW:JP 90$ million weekend... Godzilla i believe only made 44$ million on a 4 day weekend...

Then 'im sure they expected it to end its theatrical run at over 600$ million at least an average reviews.. It met neither of the above an i remembering hearing GINO had a huge ass marketing budget for the 90's.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Independence Day had Will Smith's star power and the movie was more appealing looking to the general audience then GINO was. How could Sony think that GINO could make as much as Independence Day?
Im sorry but i dont buy that. It had nothing to do with Will Smith's star power or anything at all. GINO was a massively hyped movie even by the general public. People were very excited for an American Godzilla film. It failed because it was NOT Godzilla and basically was a Jurassic Park rip off.

If the movie had been done CORRECTLY like it was supposed to it would easily have made much more money. Its opening weekend was what 60-70 million? And tickets were much cheaper back then. So factor in todays prices with that and it would probably double

A good American Godzilla movie can make plenty of money with out a famous celeb in it
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

XxComablack1937xX wrote: It met neither of the above an i remembering hearing GINO had a huge ass marketing budget for the 90's.
Yeah since if you think about it, 1994 was the first year a Hollywood product ran nine figures ($100M). GINO ran $130M, about $190M in today's dollars; that still may not sound like a lot but Hollywood only since Titanic has gotten used to spending that kind of money on their big money makers. Titanic in 1997 was $200M and the most expensive movie until ... what, King Kong? I don't have the figures but I think GINO might even have been the second most expensive movie of all when it came out, even if it was second by a healthy 75%. As for the marketing budget as well, OH YEAH!
고질라

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

The marketing strategy for GINO was brilliant! Teaser everything, wouldn't show or tell the public anything about the film etc. I was obviously pi$$ed after seeing the film. It was "bait & switch" IMO. Borderline illegal - LOL. We thought we were getting "Godzilla" not a stupid overgrown Iquana?!

If you are going to market a crappy film, thats the way to do it! LOL The only flaw to the strategy is that they lost millions of dollars in merchandise sales. Around 30%-40% of all film merchandise is sold prior to the release of the film. When it was known that the movie stunk, they couldn't make up the loss.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

I remember the very next week of G98s release. The word of it sucking was speading like wildfire within the media. They even held quick interviews with crowds coming out of the theaters, asking how was the movie. The phrase of the day was "that was not Godzilla"
It was almost like the media had a axe to grind against the makers of this movie.

It would be nice to find those interviews on youtube or something to show Legendary how people react to a imposter.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

ScootaVaran wrote:I remember the very next week of G98s release. The word of it sucking was speading like wildfire within the media. They even held quick interviews with crowds coming out of the theaters, asking how was the movie. The phrase of the day was "that was not Godzilla"
It was almost like the media had a axe to grind against the makers of this movie.

It would be nice to find those interviews on youtube or something to show Legendary how people react to a imposter.

That's exactly what happened, I remember then very next weekend after release no one hardly mentioned Godzilla an advertising nearly died off completely due to the back-lash.

Hype helped with that a lot though, Godzilla was the biggest hyped movie of 1998, hell hype started early/mid 1997 an even had a year count-down on a website to release. With marketing, advertising, toys, Taco-bell commercials, Size does matter posters, shirts, even had Godzilla movie marathons on T.V. running on weekends... When a movie with so much hype behind it even has average or in GINO's case Crappy reviews it pretty much kills it in the financial intake department. All Godzilla Merch fell off the planet within 2 weeks after

Same-thing has happened to Jurassic park with TLW only not as big a tragedy. Many other films have suffered this same exact fate.. I hope Godzilla avoids it this time.

Tedgoji
Young Farmer

Post by Tedgoji »

First post here on TK...

I'm really hoping to see a Godzilla reboot in the future. I feel like the Millennium series was a step in the wrong direction for Godzilla films. I personally didn't like the look of the big guy except in GMK.

I was a kid when G98 came out, so I didn't realize at the time how 'bad' the movie was. For me, the ad campaign worked: hype up the movie and keep the overall look of GINO a secret.

Now that I'm an 'adult', I'm hoping LP's Godzilla can redeem the Tri-Star debacle.

MasonWerx
Interpol Agent

Post by MasonWerx »

In my dreams Shusuke Kaneko would come back and direct another Kaiju flick - the title would be

"Gojira, Gamera, Ghidorah, Gigan: Big Effin' Monsters Supreme Ultimate Brawl Complete Massive Destruction"

And call it G4 for short. Or leave Gigan out of the title to call it G3 so it rhymes. But definitely have Gigan in the movie, but a redesign of 72 Gigan, not based on final wars Gigan.

It would be a joint Toho and Daiei effort. The suit would be a redesign of the GMK suit and Gamera would be based on the Revenge of Irys design.

I've had plenty of years to think about this :D

Mr. MADNESS
Yojimbo

Post by Mr. MADNESS »

I hope Toho don't make another G movie for a long time. They don't know what to do whit Godzilla or how to handle him anymore.