GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by GuardianGhido »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote:
Rodan95 wrote:What if....Godzilla accidentally killed the Iwie's, and pisses Kong off?
I can see that happening. Whatever funky things are going on at Skull Island attracts a bunch of Titans there when they don't belong on that island. Godzilla shows up to restore balance and run them off, and destroys the village in the process. Kong pursues out of revenge. Or at the least, initiates the first battle between them.
That's how it might go tbh. While Godzilla does protect cities, I think he does it to keep the titans in line more than to save human lives. (Though I believe that after Serizawa's sacrifice, he does consider humanity part of earth that he needs to protect as well, just not high priority) So it could be possible that his actions may lead to the deaths of Iwi people and angering Kong, even if it's by accident. He has already killed people accidentally to create conflict as seen with him killing Andrew and kicking off a decent chunk of KOTM's plot.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by fred25_ca »

Kong litterally murdered a bunch of people in Kong Skull Island. I'm not sure he's that much more on humanity's side than Godzilla...
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

fred25_ca wrote:Kong litterally murdered a bunch of people in Kong Skull Island. I'm not sure he's that much more on humanity's side than Godzilla...
Stomped, ate, and killed some fools with a palm tree. But yeah... "protector of humanity!" :lol:

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

KingKaiju wrote:
fred25_ca wrote:Kong litterally murdered a bunch of people in Kong Skull Island. I'm not sure he's that much more on humanity's side than Godzilla...
Stomped, ate, and killed some fools with a palm tree. But yeah... "protector of humanity!" :lol:
He killed outsiders who were harming skull island with their bombs that were waking up Skullcrawlers. The Iwi are under his protection, anyone else are outsiders who cannot be trusted unless they care for the animals of Skull Island (like Weaver who tried to help a Sker Buffalo so Kong saved her and her friends). And if they try anything funny like dropping some bombs, they are enemies who should be killed. He's not on humanity's side, he's on Skull Islands side.

Godzilla's very presence is dangerous on the island, and his army of Titans are even worse news. So suffice to say, if Godzilla sets foot on Skull Island, poop's going down.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:04 am, edited 5 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

GuardianGhido wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
He killed outsiders who were harming skull island with their bombs that were waking up Skullcrawlers. The Iwi are under his protection, anyone else are outsiders who cannot be trusted unless they care for the animals of Skull Island (like Weaver who tried to help a Sker Buffalo so Kong saved her and her friends). And if they try anything funny like dropping some bombs, they are enemies who should be killed. He's not on humanity's side, he's on Skull Islands side.

Godzilla's very presence is dangerous on the island, and his army of Titans are even worse news. So suffice to say, if Godzilla sets foot on Skull Island, poop's going down.
I get that. I'm just making a joke, because the notion that he somehow becomes the protector of man just seems a bit odd. It makes sense why he'd protect the people of Skull Island, that's his home. Even then, it seems more like him getting rid of the bigger threat, that just so happens to benefit everyone else, rather than to really go out of his way to protect specific people. I'm sure we'll get some kind of moment, to pay homage to the original Kong, when he comes into contact with people. But other than that, I'm not expecting much out of that narrative.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

My theory for GvK:

- Skull Island is definitely a BIG factor to the story.
- Military, Monarch, and terrorists want the island for different reasons.
- Iwie's want left alone. Kong does too.
- Godzilla shows up on Kong's turf. Godzilla WAS going to leave, but something happens. They fight.
- Godzilla uses breath to hurt Kong, it backfires. Kong is hurt.
- Godzilla is going to use atomic breath again, Kong tries to break Godzilla's jaw but fails, Kong accidentally makes Godzilla blow up the Iwie village- killing them.
- Kong is frustrated, weak, and loses the first fight
- Godzilla doesnt care, walks away.

After that, Kong is pissed and wants to kill Godzilla. After that...idk just my theory.

It would be cool to see Tokyo as the 2nd fight and New York as the final fight. But who knows. And use The empire state building in a way too.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

My prediction is that there will be human characters in the movie whose actions effect the plot and this idea Godzilla fans have in their minds of kaiju generating conflict purely on their own with the other stuff tacked on is neither a good filmmaking decision nor what the writers of GvsK plan on doing.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Ivo-goji wrote:My prediction is that there will be human characters in the movie whose actions effect the plot and this idea Godzilla fans have in their minds of kaiju generating conflict purely on their own with the other stuff tacked on is neither a good filmmaking decision nor what the writers of GvsK plan on doing.
Sad, but true. Puny humans need bigger roles in the plot than the giant monsters for it to be good in the eyes of critics and even a lot of normal people.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

GuardianGhido wrote: Sad, but true. Puny humans need bigger roles in the plot than the giant monsters for it to be good in the eyes of critics and even a lot of normal people.
I mean, no, it's not sad so much as it is "sane".

I want good Godzilla movies and all of the good Godzilla movies I've seen (G54, Mothra vs Godzilla, Terror of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, GMK) had strong human casts whose actions had a meaningful impact on how the story played out.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Ivo-goji wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote: Sad, but true. Puny humans need bigger roles in the plot than the giant monsters for it to be good in the eyes of critics and even a lot of normal people.
I mean, no, it's not sad so much as it is "sane".

I want good Godzilla movies and all of the good Godzilla movies I've seen (G54, Mothra vs Godzilla, Terror of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, GMK) had strong human casts whose actions had a meaningful impact on how the story played out.
But I feel that the proper balance for a Godzilla movie is too hard to achieve for Hollywood, especially with 3 attempts compared to the many Toho got. We'll either get tons of human stuff with almost zero monster stuff or tons of monster stuff with little human stuff. Though there might be a chance for GvK to achieve the balance and finally make a movie wtih enough human and monster elements done right with groundbreaking success (and ensure the continuation of the Monsterverse), which I really want to be the case.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Skull Island will become Monster Island. I mean it is a monster island but not THE Monster Island. Yet.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Living Corpse wrote:Skull Island will become Monster Island. I mean it is a monster island but not THE Monster Island. Yet.
I would have thought so originally, since the creators have expressed an interest in doing something with the concept, but after KotM I'm not sure. The way the kaiju are shown in the end credits to rejuvenate the world indicates they're supposed to stay in their natural environments and take care of things. It doesn't seem like humanity could or should corral them into a single containment facility.
Resized Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Ivo-goji wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Skull Island will become Monster Island. I mean it is a monster island but not THE Monster Island. Yet.
I would have thought so originally, since the creators have expressed an interest in doing something with the concept, but after KotM I'm not sure. The way the kaiju are shown in the end credits to rejuvenate the world indicates they're supposed to stay in their natural environments and take care of things. It doesn't seem like humanity could or should corral them into a single containment facility.
I don't think humans will have anything to do with it this time, the monsters need a home where they aren't stepping on cities and are close by so Godzilla can keep an eye on them.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kong's going to be the asshole here. Godzilla shows up and says Skull island is a good place for the Titans to live in coexistence, Kong doesn't want the others in his home. Conflict without either of them being villains.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

In other words, a kaiju version of "Gran Torino" with Kong instead of Clint Eastwood :lol:

I'm actually fully on board with this, excellent way of making a heated buildup for the conflict without turning either monster into a villain.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

miguelnuva wrote:Kong's going to be the asshole here. Godzilla shows up and says Skull island is a good place for the Titans to live in coexistence, Kong doesn't want the others in his home. Conflict without either of them being villains.
They're both assholes and both have reason to be upset. Godzilla is trying to keep the world safe but thinks just cause he fought King Ghidorah he has final say on everything. King Kong doesn't want intruders in his house, who would? But he's missing the bigger picture that this is for the greater good, and that it benafits everyone including him, more titans means less Skullcralwers. He might be able to climb down that mountain. That's not his home, that's where he lives to avoid being eaten. His species home used to be some plains before the vents open up and became the Skullcrawlers boneyard.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Living Corpse wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Kong's going to be the asshole here. Godzilla shows up and says Skull island is a good place for the Titans to live in coexistence, Kong doesn't want the others in his home. Conflict without either of them being villains.
They're both assholes and both have reason to be upset. Godzilla is trying to keep the world safe but thinks just cause he fought King Ghidorah he has final say on everything. King Kong doesn't want intruders in his house, who would? But he's missing the bigger picture that this is for the greater good, and that it benafits everyone including him, more titans means less Skullcralwers. He might be able to climb down that mountain. That's not his home, that's where he lives to avoid being eaten. His species home used to be some plains before the vents open up and became the Skullcrawlers boneyard.
so Goji has a ego and Kong's just misuderstood. In that case Kong sounds like the lesser doosh.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I'm hoping the Goji we see in the Kong vs Godzilla cave painting is a different Goji and not THE Godzilla. Obviously it's a different Kong like an ancestor and not THE Kong we know since it was made before he was born and he was still a kid when we last saw him. I want the modern day Kong and Godzilla going into their fight completely blind, not knowing anything on how to fight each other.
tyrantgoji wrote:
so Goji has a ego and Kong's just misuderstood. In that case Kong sounds like the lesser doosh.
You gotta also remember Kong and Godzilla are both from social species. Kong wasn't meant to be alone, but since he's probably the last of his kind he has become so used to being alone he now prefers it, and it probably makes him unnaturally short tempered for his species. It's not good for his mental health. Godzilla, we don't know much about his species, but he's probably alone too. Mothra was probably the last meaningful monster interaction he had in a long time that wasn't a fight. On some level I think Godzilla keeps the other Titans with him now partly to fight his own isolation.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Living Corpse wrote:
This makes a lot of sense and would keep both sides in character. Both sides are making brash decisions, but neither can be seen as the villain, per say. The best possible way to progress the characters, imho
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Godzilla is preventing a war between humans and Titans. King wile right to defend his home is coming off as just as dooshy.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image