Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread

Post by Jiragozira14 »

steven wrote:
Godzilla The King wrote:That sounds like something from G98, that is the worst thing any Godzilla film can do when trying to appeal to American audiences.
what im just hoping godzilla destroys them so they wont steal his screentime
Or they could....you know....just make them more developed (which is likely, since we already passed the jumping point for the series)?

Besides, Godzilla has enough screentime. He doesn't need to be all over the movie, that's where you get to '98 and all it's elements being thrown in to keep Godzilla in the film at all times after he first appears. :/

5-15 minutes is all I need of Godzilla. Make the new trio of monsters get more screentime so we can learn more about them and get them to be interesting like the MUTO, rather than generic props for action scenes.
And keep the humans relevant even when the monster action heats up, too; that way we don't have to cut from action to quiet scenes. Maybe give humanity some anti-kaiju weapons to help Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra against King Ghidorah or something, just make them relevant in any well-done manner. Hell, maybe they could have a superweapon ala the Garuda to allow for the introduction of Mechagodzilla if needed for the third film.

Just no cutting the human element; that's what helps sell these as films, not as popcorn flicks.
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

steven wrote:ONE THING NEEDS TO HAPPEN...brodys family needs to get crushed by godzillas foot in the beginning of the movie
There's literally no reason this should happen at all.

GR8GODZILLAGOD
Gotengo Officer

Post by GR8GODZILLAGOD »

steven wrote:
Godzilla The King wrote:That sounds like something from G98, that is the worst thing any Godzilla film can do when trying to appeal to American audiences.
what im just hoping godzilla destroys them so they wont steal his screentime
They're probably not even gonna be in the sequel anyway. Their story is done.
Living Corpse wrote:Stop feeding the Mutos nukes!

steven
Monarch Researcher

Post by steven »

20 minutes of screen time is good. the brodys were awful so either kill them off or get someone with well you know...a personality

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Jiragozira14 wrote:Besides, Godzilla has enough screentime. He doesn't need to be all over the movie, that's where you get to '98 and all it's elements being thrown in to keep Godzilla in the film at all times after he first appears. :/

5-15 minutes is all I need of Godzilla. Make the new trio of monsters get more screentime so we can learn more about them and get them to be interesting like the MUTO, rather than generic props for action scenes.
And keep the humans relevant even when the monster action heats up, too; that way we don't have to cut from action to quiet scenes. Maybe give humanity some anti-kaiju weapons to help Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra against King Ghidorah or something, just make them relevant in any well-done manner. Hell, maybe they could have a superweapon ala the Garuda to allow for the introduction of Mechagodzilla if needed for the third film.

Just no cutting the human element; that's what helps sell these as films, not as popcorn flicks.
In a 2 hour Hollywood movie Godzilla should not get any less then 20 minutes, regardless of how many monsters there cramming into it. If an 80 minute Toho movie can have 15 minutes of Godzilla plus other monsters then 20 minutes for Godzilla in a 40 minute longer movie shouldn't be asking much.

Remove the cutting away from the action scenes, give us characters that don't bore us to death (as you suggested) and you'd have a solid sequel. I'd be happy if Rodan only appeared in the sequel.. We really don't need all 3 to be rushed into the sequel, that cuts away attention and screen time from Godzilla who is our main character and what annoyed audiences the first time around. Lets not make that mistake again.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Chris55 wrote:
Jiragozira14 wrote:
Besides, Godzilla has enough screentime. He doesn't need to be all over the movie, that's where you get to '98 and all it's elements being thrown in to keep Godzilla in the film at all times after he first appears. :/
I would have preferred more. Especially since there's fights on the cutting room floor
Well that's a damn shame and we'll probably never see those like them deleted scenes
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

TBH, Ford was decent in the scenes with his wife and Dad, but when Joe died, all his appeal went out the freaking window.

And the sequel most likely will have more Godzilla, the cat's already out of the bag, so there's no need to hide him, anymore.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

steven
Monarch Researcher

Post by steven »

KManX89 wrote:TBH, Ford was decent in the scenes with his wife and Dad, but when Joe died, all his appeal went out the freaking window.

And the sequel most likely will have more Godzilla, the cat's already out of the bag, so there's no need to hide him, anymore.
As long as Edwards is aloud free reign on the sequel we will always have low screen time. This is the first time I would condone a studio putting there foot down on him. And get rid of that hack max brostein

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I'm sure they will address the first movie's problems with the sequel. They made it a point of emphasis to address the 98 movie's biggest mistake by giving us a true Godzilla film with G14, and by God, they delivered on that front, now I'm sure they'll get to addressing everyone's problems with the characters, Godzilla screen time, etc in G14 in the sequel.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Chris55 wrote:
Jiragozira14 wrote:
I would have preferred more. Especially since there's fights on the cutting room floor
Are we going to see any deleted scenes?
Yooo 8-)

three
Keizer

Post by three »

JGAR wrote:
Chris55 wrote:
Jiragozira14 wrote:
Are we going to see any deleted scenes?
i feel like we all had this discussion before, and the thread got locked.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

No, we're not going to see a directors cut.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

DesuGojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by DesuGojiFan »

What a fucking joke.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

IIRC Thomas Tull said yes to a director's cut, but those things don't really come out quickly.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

TheSecondComing wrote:IIRC Thomas Tull said yes to a director's cut, but those things don't really come out quickly.
Yeah the extended cut for X-Men DOFP comes out sometime next year so there's still hope.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Oh yeah Im sure well see a director's cut at some point in the future. Just have no idea when it'll happen.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

TheSecondComing wrote:IIRC Thomas Tull said yes to a director's cut, but those things don't really come out quickly.
He didn't though.

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

Underworld54 wrote:
He didn't though.
Let's not start this again :roll:. Believe it or not, the cut aways were thought of from the start. I don't get why people just blame Edwards for it. "YEAH SKREEONK EDWARDS FOR NOT GIVING ME 30 MINUTES OF SCREENTIME"

Gelo
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gelo »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:So unless that was Opposite Day, Yes means No in Tull's world, or Tull lied, we're getting an extended cut.
Didn't he say after that, that it depends on Gareth?
On March 1st, 1954 at exactly 8:50AM, Operation: Lucky Dragon commenced.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Gelo wrote:
Godzilla 1995 wrote:So unless that was Opposite Day, Yes means No in Tull's world, or Tull lied, we're getting an extended cut.
Didn't he say after that, that it depends on Gareth?
Yes that's exactly what he said but some choose not to believe that part. It's up to Gareth if he wants to put one together or not, but since he couldn't be bothered to do a commentary on the initial release I doubt he'll put the effort in for a DC.